Ahh, just why did this get all the admiration by the critics and scholars? Did readers actually enjoy it? Even fans?

Ahh, just why did this get all the admiration by the critics and scholars? Did readers actually enjoy it? Even fans?

I know this board is crawling with DFW fanboys, so come at me, but try not to sound too pretentious, if that is O.K.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0mnrHf7p0jM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What did you not like about it?

It was boring ramble

>It was boring
ironic

No I mean, specifically, what did you not like about it?

Is this the one that's unfinished? Hate reading unfinished works.

Of all the books to call boring....

t. Lane Dean Jr.

Unfinished doesn't mean incomplete, it just means the author didn't see it through to publication.
The book has a very coherent arch and conclusion

I'd be very interested to hear what you so much loved about it. Red pill me on enjoying literature.

>DFW

Not him but I found the novel very effective in communicating that strange sense of spiritual longing and projection that is the bed rock of life today. The IRS as a Papal like entity was really effective to me in being such a bridge between the characters.
The Lane Dean Jr story in particular was fantastic to me.

what

Would've been DFW's first great work. Drinion and the really nice kid were A+++.

Just be honest, user. You didn't read it.

What do you not get about that?

A lot of the individual chapters were really strongly written and distinct. I liked the chapter where the guy recounts switches his major from liberal arts, the chapter with the boss's baby, the Lane Dean Jr story, the mental hospital chapter, and some others.

What I enjoy most about Wallace's writing is its ability to capture the minutia of existence, the day-to-day stuff you hardly notice. If that sounds boring to you then DFW probably just isn't for you, and I mean that in the least condescending way possible.

There's so much stuff Wallace never got around to, like the eventual conflict between the hovering guy and the machines that were going to automate everybody's job.

I like the version of it we got, but I don't see how you can feel like it was complete. It frustrates the fuck out of me that we'll never get more of it.

That's just trivia that doesn't show in the book

They're not saying the book isn't boring necessarily. They're just saying it's funny to call it boring when the entire theme of the book is boredom and how to "ride its wave" and all that.

youtube.com/watch?v=0mnrHf7p0jM