Find a flaw

Serously and unironically, name ONE fucking flaw. You can't. It's the perfect novel.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5YQIB9uke94
youtube.com/watch?v=_NVsyMalJXo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Eagles

His world is unoriginal.

Really bland make up, and the atmosphere made the world feel 'empty' if it wasn't for the pre destined path.

the eagles were sentient, and would have been corrupted by the ring

LoTR world bland.......
try harder user

My criticism would be a lot of scenes seem drawn out or dry, but they are fantastically detailed. I think it's just a product of the modern mind.
Also Tom was best character

A good reason the eagles couldn't just fly him to Mordor I guess? But not a valid reason they couldn't pick him up. Seemed appropriately wizardly timing.

Gandalf literally had no depth other than 'mysterious'.

even being close to it at all can be enough to corrupt someone, ie boromir. that's the reason frodo left the fellowship

Gandalf had a lot of depth but let's be honest you didn't read all of Tolkien's material did you?

But you realize the best magic and the best wizards are those that remain some kind of enigma, right? The most classic kind of wizard is best wizard, desu.

So if they only found that out after why didn't they try the Eagles at first?

The only flaw I can find, and it's a minor one, is that the story is perfect only when one reads more of JRRT's works. Or learning about how he wrote them.

But even as a stand alone work, LotR's is fantastic. Not my favourite fantasy book, but probably the best.

aw come on. either you're trolling, or you didn't even read the books. look into the maiar and check out the silmarillion and unfinished tales to learn more about olórin.

It still takes time and very little time was spent between Frodo and the eagles.
Also their lesser sentience and the very fact they are mysterious beings and friends of wizards make them unlikely candidates to be prone to becoming corrupted by a ring for giving a 1 hour ride. Your logic makes 0 sense.

It isn't a plot point. Tolkien never explicitly states the ring could corrupt the eagles, hence why they're a term of minor debate for those not steeped into the lore.

>Gandalf had a lot of depth but let's be honest you didn't read all of Tolkien's material did you

I did In fifth grade.

The rest of your post is subject to opinion

t. brainlet with dementia

Thread is about the Trilogy, don't move the goal post.

they did know the eagles were sentient, and that giving the ring to them wouldn't have worked.

as for why they didn't try flying frodo over, i guess they wanted a true party of warriors to guard the ringbearer. an eagle flying through mordor would definitely have been shot down.

actually it was just about the first book. But he was saying gandalf has no lore and gandalf's lore isn't pertinent to just a single book, so it is implied he means across all of tolkiens works.
And yes it works that way

>an eagle flying through mordor would definitely have been shot down.

Then how did they manage to catch Frodo immediately after destroying the ring

>frog poster

Have fun with your conservitive status quo that fits into your box of 'flawless'

It's genrefiction for manchildren

>mentiom the Bible
>have to go through the totallity of all spiritual thought on God, and every arguement and deconstructure before an opinion can be made

Or you can use the standard that OP used.

Because of the disarray caused by the mountain exploding virtually threw Mordor's forces into bigger problems than caring about or even spotting the eagles. And Sauron finally dead AF.

>posting frog meme on frog meme's site
>REEEEEEEEE frogposter hehe XDDDD
>replies to brainlet meme with brainlet picture
Absolute state of autism.

>internal discussion is always relevant to an exact parameter on an imageboard, no anywhere

But the Eagles had to get there before the mountains exploded and probably deep into Morder before they could have even known it was going to

>when your own autisn faulter to the superior foe

I see I reign supreme

even a straight path from rivendell to mordor is about 1,000 miles iirc. no matter how fast the eagle flies, that's a lot of time while very close to the ring.

they're set in the same world, involving the same character. and gandalf does go more into detail about his being a maiar after his "resurrection"

Thank you for agreeing with me, I see you fail to raise a counter point.

>implying the eagles weren't on standby

>It's the perfect novel.

An authors character in a single novel =/= An author's complete idea of a being

Hmmm its like we are comparing a limited narrative to a completion of a charactors spectrum of their entire worth

as mentioned, the battle at the black gate distracted sauron's forces. i don't remember how the eagles knew about the battle tho, or when to be there

the black gate is very close to mt doom, some eagles joined in the battle, and one or more went to mt doom to rendezvous with frodo and sam

leave his autism alone user-kun he can play with the wooden dowel and his stick of butter in the corner.

Woops

Doesn't reveal Sauron's tax plan

Boring prose and archaic, stuffy dialogue. Filler galore

Flaws in Tolkien's LotR:

>beginning is way too long and drawn out.
Lest we forget, the book starts with long leisurely descriptions of Bilbo's birthday party. We only start learning about things in chapter 2 and only via a long conversation when Gandalf comes over for tea. IIRC after 100 pages we're still in the Shire.

>Council of Elrond
One of the most important chapters in the book is approx 60 pages of a committee meeting

>The Two Towers
Absolute madman, despite following the story linearly in time to this point, Tolkien for some crazy reason drops Aragorn & co. and only follows Frodo & Sam for the first entire half of TTT. Then we go back in time so at the second half of TTT we're right back where Fellowship ended.

>rushed ending
Compare the climatic chapters to the first half of Fellowship. All the dramatic ending battles and resolutions are giving around the same number of pages as the hobbits prancing around the Shire picking mushrooms. The pacing is completely off.

>overly descriptive, archaic prose
Not everyone's cup of tea.

And yet? LotR is one of my favourite novels of all time. Despite everything, it works. Why? I think it's to do with how Tolkien had already developed the mythology and languages and history of his world before writing the novel. So the reader is aware of a depth, even during slow periods of the book, and it's completely fascinating. It shouldn't work but it does. Council of Elrond is one of my favourite chapters in the entire thing. Reading about the Shire is one of the most comfy feel-good experiences in literature. The Black Riders on Weathertop are legitimately terrifying. Moria chapters are incredible. Gollum, the Pellenor Fields, the complexity of characters like Denethor.

The sheer audacity of the story, which is the most foolish of fool's errands, and the idea of the One Ring which is almost a character in itself.

Undeniably flawed, undeniably brilliant

The songs are all cringey as fuck.

The Hobbit cutesy-ness is all kitschy garbage.

The naming conventions are ironically inorganic and annoying despite the fact that this sperg took the time to design their languages and cultures in a somewhat believable way.

Tom Bombadil is so fucking horrendous even fanboy Peter Jackson knew he had to leave it out of his 12 hour autistic fanfilm.

>No no no... the character who was one dimensional in those 2000 pages of text doesn't suck if you read the extra supplementary 1000 pages.

When'll you guys admit that Tolkein ruined relateable, human feeling fantasy and turned it into a stilted genre-trash?

it's boring

>The songs are all cringey as fuck.
Not all, some of them are pretty good.
This guy does some good adaptations of some of the songs, I especially like this one youtube.com/watch?v=5YQIB9uke94

I don’t think it’s very well written. It does it’s job but that’s about it.

Written like a fucking child who thinks that adventures are real, when actually it could have been a fucking amazing dialogue on tyranny and supremacy in a fantasy world. Instead Tolkien gave us the fantasy equivalent of The Famous Five.

Low IQ: Frodo should have used the eagles.
High IQ: Sauroman was a progressive, and industrialisation is a good thing.
Highest IQ: Sauron was actually the good guy all along, but was misunderstood.

AS THE OFFICIAL AUTHORITY ON TOLKIEN (because i actually read the books instead of pretending i did) LET ME GIVE YOU A DEFINITE ANSWER

THE EAGLES OF AGENTS OF THE GODS. THE GODS HAVE DECIDED NOT TO DO THE JOB OF MORTALS FOR THEM (ie have the eagles drop the ring even if they could do it without being corrupted)

THEY SENT THE WIZARDS TO MIDDLE EARTH TO ACT LIKE CIA AGENTS DRUMMING UP RESISTANCE TO SUARON BUT WERE FORBIDDEN TO SOLVING THE LANDS PROBLEMS THEMSELVES (ie gandalf just making himself king and leading armies against sauron). THEY DID THIS AS A LAST KINDNESS SINCE THEY KNOW THEIR HANDS OFF POLICY IS A DICK MOVE. AGAIN, THEY WILL LEND AID HERE AND THERE BUT WILL NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE THEMSELVES (ie the eagles pick up frodo so he doesnt die but they didnt take him there in the first place)

THIS IS A VERY COMMON TROPE IN FANTASY THAT HAS GODS AND ANY BRAINLET SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IT AND YET WITHOUT FAIL YOU DONT

THE MATTER IS NOW CLOSED AND ALL FURTHER DISCUSSION WILL CEASE

youtube.com/watch?v=_NVsyMalJXo

Irrelevant to literal devices. Why didn't Patroclus just nuke Achilles then?

How are going to not get noticed flying giant eagles in front of a giant eye?

>no sex

essentially what user said, the gods in lotr are more witness to the events that follow mankind. the eagles and wizards like gandalf and saruman are more like spiritual emissaries and not agents of supreme power and authority. plus im sure sauron and his forces had some sort of contingency for something like huge fucking eagles flying over mordor. its just too obvious, thats why LOTR has insignifcant hobbits doing the dirty work

>those 2000 pages of text doesn't suck if you read the extra supplementary 1000 pages
The trilogy itself is only 1100 or 1200 pages. I don't know what you're on about.

Wouldnt that depend on page and lettersize?

Everyone knows that the Condom people didn't split the atom until AFTER Ash Heels was killed and Odyssey fought with Detergent Man over his shiny shirt.

Flying Nazgul, you dolt.

>His world is unoriginal.
It only looks that way because it became the template for a thousand copycat authors. It's their worlds that are unoriginal.

You seem to be looking for an airport lounge fantasy novel. This isn't it.

Deus ex machina eagles, over-written, unjustified King James influence on the prose, overly quaint.

Ghan buri Ghan

>unjustified King James influence on the prose
You're confusing Tolkien with Dunsany, you filthy Abo.

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Walking

>Deus ex machina eagles
You're a memeing retard.

Tyranny and supremacy? That's your deep, non childish theme? Do you not believe in adventures user? Do you sit in your hobbit hole all day shit posting?

>Genre fiction

That was easy

This guy gets it.

the second half of the two towers is boring as shit. i don't need to read 150 pages of sam and frodo walking, sometimes with smeagol and sometimes without. the only good parts involve faramir.

Very boring. I don't like any of the characters except Gandalf.

The eagles are sentient and described as being proud to the point of arrogant and vain in The Hobbit. Hardly fitting to entrust the Ring to. Beyond the trilogy, they're also Manwe's agents, and he, with the other Valar, sworn off further interference with Middle-earth long ago, which is why Gandalf never reveals his true powers, as he's a Maiar from Valinor.

It's like trying to fly a 747 into the heart of Manhattan, the air force would never allow it.
The eagles would have been filled with arrows

The eagles were their own proud beings, they couldn't be commanded to do whatever they want

>their lesser sentience
The eagles were described as being just as intelligent as all other creatures