/language general/

What languages do you speak?

What languages are you learning?
>what's your level?
>how are you learning?
>how's it going?

I speak American, not learning anything else. My level is pretty good, I can read collage textbooks. It's going okay

Hebrew, English, Russian, Japanese

>what's your level?

Hebrew: mother tongue
English: fluent
Russian: bad
Japanese: Let's say I'm having brain difficulties

>how are you learning?

Russian: I knew it as a kid, lost it over time, decided to read novels with a close by translater and It's actually really comfy
Japanese: Currently focusing on memorizing words and trying to break apart sentences that I find, don't have much time for it though

>how's it going?

Russian: Good
Japanese: Meh

>decided to read novels with a close by translater and It's actually really comfy

Sounds good, user. What kind of translator do you use? Paper? I'm at the point where I can start reading some simple Spanish stories, but I don't like to have my phone or laptop with me in case I get distracted

>speak
Portuguese
Spanish
English
Can understand French
>learning
Russian
>level
Barely the basics, it's really hard since it's so different from everything I'm used to. Luckily it's phoneetically identical to portuguese, so reading/speaking isn't a problem. Struggling more with the understanding.

Croatian: mother tongue
Italian: can understand and speak a little because of high school
German: understand common words because of elementary school
French: tried learning on duolingo, learned a bit, but I'm a lazy bastard
Spanish: watched soap operas with my family as a kid so it helped me with Italian somewhat and I also understand some Spanish since they're both so similar

>What languages do you speak
Fluently: Hebrew and English
Non-fluently: I know a little spanish
>What languages are you learning?
none
eyyyyy, my fellow chosen one

Got college degrees in spanish and japanese but can barely say "hello". Fluent in english but with a french accent so thick anglos will never understand me. Foreign languages are a joke

French sounds absolutely disgusting in a masculine voice. Consider changing languages permanently or getting hormone therapy.

English: mother tongue
Spanish: fluent

I speak the two most important languages, i dgaf about the rest

Any tips on learning spanish?

Watch movies, read books, youtube...
you can reach a decent level without studying, and i mean NO studying, just consume Spanish media, listen to Spanish songs, read about Hispanic history, you know, its a pretty interesting language and culture

German, English, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, French

>what's your level?

German: mother tongue
Russian: I understand mostly everything, but I'm still no good at speaking myself
Chinese: Intermediate I'd say. I learned about 2000 characters up to now and can read a couple of simpler books with only occasionaly having to look up words. If the person I talk to doesn't slur too much I can hold conversations too.
Japanese: Enough for day to day talk
French: Barely, used to have it in school. Forgot tons though.

>how are you learning?

Chinese: I'm living in China for a while, also visiting some courses. Write out vocab, read books and note every new word, watch TV with Chinese subtitles.
Japanese: Is a bit on hold for me right now since I'm in China, but I have some Japanese friends back home with whom I often practiced talking.
Russian: Also on hold for now, though I got some Russian friends to talk to in order to keep it somewhat fresh in my head.

>how's it going?
All in all pretty good I'd say, though Chinese really is a tough language to learn. Getting into it is easy, but getting good at it takes some serious determination. The other languages are comparatively easy to learn.

Thanks. I've already gone through pretty much the whole of Spanish grammar with Michel Thomas. Now it's just a case of learning vocabulary and learning to recognise the structures more easily. I'm two months in. I've been watching "Destinos" and listening to podcasts. I guess I'll look for a documentary or something on Hispanic history since I'm quite ignorant of it.

Trying to learn Chinese (mandarin), it's hard as fuck without someone else to speak it with.

>Chinese: I'm living in China for a while
Are you teaching? I'd considered moving there myself for a long while but I've decided against

No I'm studying at a university here. Though English teaching jobs seem to be rather easy to attain here, provided you have a work visa.

Yes, I don't think I'd have any trouble. It just seems like it might be a tad depressing; I hate urbanization. Plus I'm a languagelet, so I'd have some trouble communicating

Latin. But I'm so bad at it that "Lingua latina difficilis est" is about all that I can say.

The cities really are huge. though there's also some greener places like Hangzhou. If nothing else, it's definitely worth a holiday visit.

Italian, french and English. But I'm gradually forgetting English everyday since it such a shit language and the unconscious association with Veeky Forums and americans makes me hate it.

>What languages do you speak?
Polish, English, Slovak
>What languages are you learning?
Polish: mother tongue, pretty good, I don't have many problems with reading some older texts
English: I don't know, I study in English, I read in English, I listen to music with English lyrics
Slovak: I understand it more than my friends, been learning some years ago, but never tried to speak it
Japanese: doing Heisig's, I like it
Chinese: really basic stuff, mixing tones etc.
Latin: some basic knowledge, but I don't have any major issues with Sacred Texts used during the Mass
>how are you learning?
Just don't be a fucking brainlet and start using SRS(preferably Anki) and mnemonics. They are not a memes. When you are creating your flashcards, really, use clozed example sentences and definitions written in language you're actually learning. Also, remember to learn the phonetics first - this will help with memorizing new words in further learning.
>how's it going?
Good. Studying in English is one of my best life choices - living with the foreign language and actually using it nearly everyday helps a lot.

Italian, English, Romanian

Latin and ancient Greek

Italian: the one I'm more fluent in
Romanian: Mother Language
English: decent. I can hold a conversation.
Latin and Greek: I know the grammar but I still need the dictionary by my side.
I'm also working on prosody but I can't make up sentences.

I bought some second hand text books for cheap and I attended a course.

It's okay, but I don't study regularly because I lack of motivation.

Native English speaker working on French. I will forever regret growing up monolingual - I never got to start learning any new languages seriously until I was 19, and I think it's much, much harder to learn any if you get to that point cemented into one language. I dunno if I'll ever be as good at even a simple language like French as the non-native speakers writing in English in this thread.

I don't know. I feel like I have a better aptitude for language learning now that I'm in my early 20s than when I was at school. I was taught German for many years and learned almost nothing (even though I was (and am) very interested in the language) and even learned some in advance from my older brother. In just a couple of months of teaching myself Spanish I've learned more than I ever did in German

Learning Latin. Working on reading/comprehending unadapted texts (mostly Cicero, Caesar and martial) and always grinding vocabulary.
It's the most enjoyable hour and a half of my day.

I used Gwynne's Latin, wheelock's Latin and anki for vocabulary.

English(fluent), Finnish(illiterate but conversation level speaking), Irish(not good) , French(worse than Irish)

>learning
Irish and French are from school. Finnish is from when I learnt it in childhood. English is what I speak everyday.

>how's it going
Might move to Finland soon to get that up. It's really atrocious that it's as bad as it is. Irish and French are awful.

C, Legalese, Mathumatics

How did you get to the point that you can converse in Finnish but not read it? Having family speak it while you grew up? I would expect it to be fairly simple since they use the same alphabet. My friend is fluent in Arabic and semi-illiterate for the same reason, but that makes sense because the alphabet just looks like random script if you never learn it.

English(Mother tongue)
Irish (Near fluent)
French(Can read it and speak very well but understanding native speakers is difficult)
Korean(Very early stages, can hold basic conversation and maybe read a childrens book or some shit)
Latin(Learned from my grandmother when I was very young and was pretty good but havent used it in a while)
I really wish I could learn like 20 languages but unfortunately I don't have all the time and motivation in the world.

English (native)
Spanish (upper intermediate)
Farsi (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
German (lower intermediate)
Italian (lower intermediate)

It's going alright but I really have a hard time sticking with one language. Trying to take time to give my Spanish some love after leaving it be for awhile. But I found some Persian and Japanese readers in my school's library and I keep looking at them out of the corner of my eye.

Also a linguist, AMA if you want.

i only speak english (native language). at one point i spoke decent spanish. i can still read it relatively well but am making no effort to practice. i was at one point nearly fluent in classical latin, but didn't practice that either. started re-learning it at christmas, and it's coming back quickly.

whats the best place online to study farsi and Irish before I invest in a tutor?

English (native)
German (can have a conversation about basic things, can read simple articles)
Russian (babby tier)

Meh.

Finnish: native
English: pretty fluent

I don't study English any more, I usually just check over the internet if I'm unsure how something is spelled or how the grammar works exactly. Still make mistakes but I guess so do some native speakers.

Would like to learn Japanese, but I haven't even really gotten around to starting it.

Reading Finnish shouldn't be that hard, since it's written exactly the same as it is pronounced, no silent letters or stuff like that.

English, Norwegian, Danish, Turkish, Azerbaijani, Crimean Tartar, Gagauz.

For Irish I'm not sure; try Duolingo if you like the game-ified approach, though be warned that Duolingo languages vary widely in quality, so it might be good or it might be trash.

Personally I prefer a more traditional approach of reading through a nice grammar book and then starting to read authentic books, which will be very very slow at first but your efficiency will ramp up rapidly. For example, getting Harry Potter in your native language and in the target language, reading them simultaneously and putting all the unknown words into an SRS flashcard program.

As for Farsi, there aren't really any good online resources, but you should get a copy of Basic Persian: A Grammar and Workbook
Book by Hayedeh Torabi and Saeed Yousef, which is fantastic. I have a hard copy but chances are you can find a pdf.

What languages do you speak?
French (native) and English.

What languages are you learning?
Spanish. Just starting out, but it's relatively easy for me since I already speak French. I'm learning thhrough conversations with Spanish people, but I'll read more once I have a better understanding of the language.

Native: English
Near Fluency: Japanese. (Formerly fluent.)
Learning: Sanskrit

In the future: Ancient Greek, Latin, German

>10590408
For bait this weak
I know what to do
I delete the carrot
I deny the (you)

>>how are you learning?
I am going to continue shilling Karl Schmidt's Easy Ways to Enlarge your German Vocabulary. His methodology of using cognates has helped me immensely.

I speak English and German, I would like to learn French or Italian eventually.

English monolingual who got serious about studying Spanish 1 month ago. Going through some grammar textbooks and doing anki flashcards along with memrise & duolingo on the side.
I'm curious as to how far anons get in a language before starting to read books?

English: Mother Tongue
Norwegian: Can hold a basic conversation in text, can't understand it spoken for my life.

Where do I start if I want to learn French?

My mother tongue is Spanish. I learned English by osmosis. Currently am studying French, mais il est pas facile