The purpose of life is whatever you make it to be

>the purpose of life is whatever you make it to be

Well, it's true. Life has no intrinsic purpose. There is the biological purpose of procreating the species, but that's only from a biological standpoint. Life has no inherent purpose, only the one you give it yourself.

Care to elaborate on that op, or are you doing ironic shitposting?

it is, nigga
you choose to become religious, not be religious, pursue certain fields, etc

If you're born in a shitty environment your life will most likely be shitty

>the purpose of life is listening to some made up magical shit

>the purpose of life is to pick a religion and just assume it's objective truth and get angry at anyone who disagrees

This.

"Purpose" as a concept is not found beyond the brain. Given that we each have our own brains (which subjective purpose is found within, although we share baser biology and shared culture/society--hence why we can even communicate at all, and why you can assume the purpose of another. Actually, even an "original" purpose is comprised of elements you inherit, so perhaps all purpose is mostly the purpose of another.) Then the purpose of life is indeed whatever you make it to be.

But it is not the purpose of life to give it a meaning
Life doesn't give a shit if you go through it with or without a purpose. Giving it a purpose is only a mean of carrying on and find reasons to do anything, but it is not the purpose of life.

The purpose of life is the expansion of happiness.

>My bike got stolen recently.

This.

Cool. My purpose in life is to whoop your ass, boy.

>The purpose of life is to freely love God and freely be loved by God

Good lord have mercy on me, these threads are killing me with cancer, please save my board.

You are born in a shitty environment because you come from shitty people.

You will know them by their fruits.

unquestioningly accept the null hypothesis: the post

While you're praying can you try and hook me up with a big tiddy goth gf????

What is the purpose of life then, user?

unquestioningly acceptING everything read on wikipedia: the post
should have grinded those grammars

too stupid to understand a didactic reading of : the post

too conceited to hand over his concession and has to assume situations to his liking
Still, read up on gerunds dude. This is the Veeky Forums board after all friendo!

not even that guy, just pointing out that you misread his post
how would you say Veeky Forums compares to /r/books in your experience? better? worse?

You just wanted to appear superior, admit it.
I don't use reddit at all, I visited my coyntry's homepage a couple of times but I can't stand the style of the site and the culture.

Upvoted

No u! LOL!

>ESL
why didn't you just say so lad, sorry for bully I assumed you were a retarded native speaker with your attitude about grammar
although hot damn you look like a cunt trying to tell me how to speak my own damn language

>ESL
What?
"Your own damn language" in which you did a fucking elementary mistake, bucko. This is still the literary board you know.
>you look like a cunt
I act like one as well. Why, did I hurt you? Apologies user, may your feelings be blessed and protected from harm ever again.

>Life has no intrinsic purpose

last post from me
>ESL
English as a Second Language
>elementary mistake
I'll spell this out for you because I want you to succeed and I fall for weak bait. Faggot said: "unquestioningly accept the null hypothesis: the post", and you thought he made a mistake because "accept should be acceptING durr it's a gerund"
However, faggot was actually implying that the post he was talking about was making a command. It said: "You! You should unquestioningly accept the null hypothesis!" and faggot restated that in his own words. Your version reads like follows: The original post said: "I! I am unquestioningly acceptING the null hypothesis!"
Both version are legitimate readings, and they're very similar (although not exactly the same). But by claiming that ONLY your version was correct and the other had improper grammar (a false claim), all you ended up doing was telling everyone how much you love to suck cocks.
I have autism so please tell me if any of this is still confusing to you and I will try to clarify.

The purpose of life is to just make the best of every moment and just be chill!

t. Normie cancer

Pleb. The purpose is to just have a good time!

Give me a world that is beyond your brain, a world that is not experienced through your consciousness and subjectivity. Even your experience of science and empiricism is an phenomenon and not noumenon. Even your apparent knowledge of your brain must first pass through your consciousness. So I agree

>i believe this thing
>wow retard
>no youre the retard
>no you are
>no you
what a great thread

Retard

GUYS user JUST SOLVED PHILOSOPHY, GET IN HERE

Holy..

Contrarian that you are, as everyone knows the meaning of life is that there is no meaning so can do whatever you want!

Making the lack of purpose in life a poor justification for doing what you like is childish and empty.

>there is a purpose but there is no inherent purpose
i think your're a faggot retarded bitch.

PARTY ROCKERS IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT

this is basically poorly veiled nihilism

>hmm today life is about me going to get a piece of chocolate cake
>now life is about the struggle I'm feeling that my coworkers aren't letting me in on that new inside joke

First world fart-huffing sophistry.

but unironically

>life has an intrinsic purpose
>but its a negative one

The purpose of life is to burn in the fires of virtue.

no youre the retard

Being a retard isn't enjoyment, it's defeatist.

>life has no purpose except that one purpose that is mine and only mine
Capitalism, ideology, etc.

Just shut up and enjoy life, dog

My purpose in life is being here for God if he still needs the assurance

>Well, it's true. Life has no intrinsic purpose.
Care to prove that sweetie? Oh wait you can't, pseud fedora redditor confirmed

You just get done watching Book of Shadows: Blaire witch 2?

I prefer to confront reality rather than avoid it

Purpose and the lack of observability of an objective one is an extension of only being able to view time linearly, meaning your purpose will become clear on a small scale as you die.
Something to look forward to :)

Don’t make me say it again: shut up and enjoy yo life, gurl!

Well, if you really have no purpose in life that is completely true.

It is a makeshift solution to a missing fundamental identity and a belief system, if your society has really never given you any purpose then the only thing you can do to cope is make up your own puropse.
Which will probably turn out very badly for yourself, since it will most certainly end up being something badly reasoned out that gives you little fulfillment.
As seen here:

it's easy to do that when you can live of Daddy's money

You don't need to rephrase OP.

What difference does it make if you’re given a purpose by your societal context that can make no claim to objectivity? Giving yourself a subjective purpose and being given a subjective purpose surely end up at the same problem when a person is curious enough to question the validity of either.

Woman that say sweetie to men are terrible at sucking big dick. This is something I've personally discovered in my life. You should get better at sucking dick.

This desu

>What difference does it make if you’re given a purpose by your societal context that can make no claim to objectivity?
That you don't have to find one for yourself.
The culture you grow up in isn't more objective then you are yourself, but probably existed for a good while longer and some better Ideas about what a "good life" is then you could ever have.

>Giving yourself a subjective purpose and being given a subjective purpose surely end up at the same problem when a person is curious enough to question the validity of either.
That's why you shouldn't question your purpose in life, if it was given to you by society.

If you were searching for the purpose by yourself, then of course you need to question it at every step, since your information is extremely limited.

this board is funny. tell me the purpose

Those are some very unsatisfying answers, I'm afraid. I don't believe that questioning societal purposes is what initially leads to nihilistic confusion, I think its the purposes that society gives that, by their unfulfilling nature, inevitably lead to questioning and the subsequent confusion. Your solution is for people to just stop questioning? You're too late, only the peak of normiehood allows for such an approach. To choose to embrace society's designs for you is just another kind of subjective nihilism, perhaps with slightly more practical wisdom due to tradition, but that's about it.

so we just embrace superfluous normiehood and pretend everything is alright?

>Life has no intrinsic purpose.
Is that an intrinsic property of life?

Good post OP. That's it.

This is the best thread on Veeky Forums right now.

This is the best thread that I've ever read in my entire life.

>I don't believe that questioning societal purposes is what initially leads to nihilistic confusion, I think its the purposes that society gives that, by their unfulfilling nature, inevitably lead to questioning and the subsequent confusion.
At this point in time?
Certainly you are right, even if current society gave me any meaningful purpose it would probably be a pretty good idea to question it.

> Your solution is for people to just stop questioning?
Not really.
The solution starts with giving purpose first, I don't think that is actually happening.
Once you have the ability to show your children the way to a purposeful and enriching life, then questioning it becomes less and less relevant.

>You're too late, only the peak of normiehood allows for such an approach.
I wouldn't be talking about *right now*, you are right only the normiest of normie could possibly even find out anything that society wants him to do.

Looking back at history this question was a lot more simpler, your purpose in life was given to you by your dad/family. If your dad was a smith it was pretty certain how your life would play out and diverging from that path would put you into a rather uncomfortable situation.

But things have of course radically changed, I don't actually see what positive purpose your formal education could bring you, thus we create people who really don't have any purpose and we end up with two categories.
The normies who just blindly follow every random trend and the not normies who search for meaning other where.

Uhhh no. Can't agree with you there.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, however you seem to have just doubled-down on what I disagreed with earlier.
>Once you have the ability to show your children the way to a purposeful and enriching life.
So the solution to a lack of objective purpose is to make life purposeful? You don't seem to have made much of a point with this. What is enriching? What is purposeful? As I said before, to have aims or ideas imbued upon us as being "enriching" or "purposeful" by either society or ourselves leads to largely the same outcome. I agree that modern formal education now is utterly unable to give people meaning as it used to, but part of being in the modern world is looking back and seeing that this same problem of subjectivity permeated those past systems as well, the difference is that they rarely acknowledged, or believed in, such an issue.

In a roundabout way the point I've been trying to make is that, although OP's statement was made to mock and is very simplistic, that very attitude is how every single human being has lived, whether they accept it or not. To be given meaning by others is as much of a choice as to make it yourself, they are both acts that give a purpose to a life that doesn't reveal itself as having any purpose in the objective way that we wish it did. Society never really solved this problem for the curious people of the past just as it doesn't solve it for them now.

>So the solution to a lack of objective purpose is to make life purposeful?
I didn't try to offer any constructive "solution", I am certainly not in any position to fix these Issues.
I just tried to Imagine what a "better world" could look, I have no path to there and if anyone has, he should tell me and the rest of this world.

>As I said before, to have aims or ideas imbued upon us as being "enriching" or "purposeful" by either society or ourselves leads to largely the same outcome.
That of course highly depends on what these Ideas are, a "good" society is certainly able to do it better then a rotten one.
The other problem I see here are that not everybody is able to actually find his purpose by himself (I would accuse the normies of exactly that) and at that point society needs to step in.
In that sense I would argue that "by what society" and "for whom", there is a difference if you arrive at a purpose by yourself or you are given it by society.

>although OP's statement was made to mock and is very simplistic, that very attitude is how every single human being has lived, whether they accept it or not.
I would agree to that and I think I no understand what you mean by saying there is little difference between being given and constructing your own purpose.
And both end up having the same Problems, nobody knows any true purpose in life so either he makes one himself or is given one by (a more or less helpful) society.

>Society never really solved this problem for the curious people of the past just as it doesn't solve it for them now.
Certainly, to going into uncharted territory, you need to have enough curiosity to leave societies purpose behind.
But I fear that society nowadays is unable to provide much meaning to the normies, the people who don't actually have the curiosity.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the discussion, it is late where I live, but it was certainly very interesting!

Thanks to you too, goodnight