What kind of literature is pic referring to?

Complete noob to literature but I agree with the lost completely otherwise so I think I should give reading a shot.

What are some top tier categories of reading and recommended books?

Obviously this is a very broad question but I've only explored novels and short stories and I don't like either.

Other urls found in this thread:

librarything.com/bookaward/Norwegian Book Clubs' top 100 books of all time
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde's_100_Books_of_the_Century
jstor.org/stable/3723440?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/the_most_boring_books_ever
youtube.com/watch?v=na4GYyJwYjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Veeky Forumscore top 100.
>I don't like novels
you can literally approach the form in a 1000 ways. Just try some decent genres such as litcore.

Read the sticky

>letting a low effort meme chart dictate your taste
slave mentality

How can you agree with that list without reading? You're such a fucking tool

How am I doing that?
I think you misunderstood me.
I agree with everything in the list except literature as I haven't given it a serious shot.
There I want to read some to see if it is something for me because the rest of the list is accurate.

I think it's admirable that you're trying to explore literature, however I generally wouldn't put any stock in charts like those.

What I'd recommend someone trying to appreciate literature:

>Don Quixote
>Great Expectations
>Crime and Punishment
>In Search of Lost Time
>Anna Karenina
>The Magic Mountain

The above all have delightful prose, can be appreciated by a beginner, and are books you'll return to later, and find referenced elsewhere. There's centuries worth of papers written on each, so there's plenty of supplementary material to further your knowledge. Research your translations.

Wow that is the absolutely worst list for a beginner unless you want to turn them off from reading forever by nearly boring them to death.

I always recommend Hemingway or Nabokov for beginners - and anyone who is tired of reading stale lit like you

Doctor Faustus, all 4 versions (+Hamlet depending on who you ask) from Marlowe, Goethe, Mann, Bulgakov, in that order. And the Bible before that but I assume you won't deign to read that in your entire life

If you found any of those boring you have irredeemably shit taste.

>doesn't want to bore user to death
>recommends hemingway
Heh

Don Quixote is so unreadable that you basically are subjecting yourself to torture by reading it.

It's widely regarded as a very amusing read, user.

Wrong.

>Music
>Painting/Mixed Media
Upper-Mid
>Literature
Mid
>Film
Shit
>PC Games

Back on topic. Using any publication's top 100 should be a decent starting point. If you want more specific things (ie. Asian literature, essays) then the lit recommends wiki becomes pretty useful because it's specific and has the basics for a lot of categories. Just google searching works too.
>librarything.com/bookaward/Norwegian Book Clubs' top 100 books of all time
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Monde's_100_Books_of_the_Century

>jstor.org/stable/3723440?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

You're wrong.

Start with the Greeks

look I can go to Imrightdotcom too

weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/the_most_boring_books_ever

Weirduniverse.net/blog/ vs. an academic paper

The absolute state of Veeky Forums

It's referring to a poll of regular readers as well as people involved in literature by a university, you are a pretentious ass if you judge "acedemia" as somehow superior to the public at large.
You are the type of person who thinks check marks next to a name on twitter mean they are reliable sources of information.

Guarantee that you're a student studying engineering or design of some sort.

Did you read that on a blog?

youtube.com/watch?v=na4GYyJwYjQ

Wrong

more like literature > paintings > music > film > videogames

Lit> Paintings > Film > Music

Videogames are not an art, they are the epitome of a sick joke gone wrong. They are inferior to EVERY form of art.

opinion discarded stupid weeb

Videogames are art by definition, and contain sublimity otherwise unreached in certain themes

depends on which one and the psychological impact it has on your wellbeing

KILL YOURSELF YOU STUPID VIDEO GAMING FAGGOT DEGENERATE. ANYONE WHO PLAYS VIDEOGAMES, OR MUCH WORSE CONSIDERES THEM AN "ART" IS AN ABSOLUTE FAILURE OF A HUMAN BEING, A DISAPPOINTMENT GRANDER THAN THE TAJMAHAL, A BEING WHOS WORTH IS LESS THAN A GRAIN OF SAND, AN ENTITY WHO'S SUFFERING SHOULD BE ENDING WITH A SWIFT KNIFE IN THE THROAT. I SWEAR TO GOD IM GOING TO KILL ALL OF YOU VIDEOGAME PLAYING WASHOUTS ONE DAY

>Videogames are art by definition, and contain sublimity otherwise unreached in certain themes

but theyre fun

lol i know who this is

no i agree with your opinion on videogames. but you're wrong about putting music below film and painting

In 40 years when you are a father or hopefully a grandfather, what will you teach your kids and grandkids. Are you a renaissance man or are you a loser who plays video games and browses animeforums all day?

>being baited this hard

no im gonna tell them i was the greatest hacker who ever lived and i hacked drumpf into the victorybooks

wojak memes don't change the truth

name five (5) (V) (δΊ”) video games which have artistic merit comparable to the greatest works of music film and literature. Ill wait.

You question is irrelevant, since the premise is wrong. That image is some dumb image macro meant to troll pseuds and make them worry about their self-image and cause arguments in the thread, not anything of value or substance. Just because you or others agree with it doesn't make it reality.

But if you're going to read, it depends on if you're going for nonfiction or fiction.

Nonfiction: Go to the largest library you can get to, use the indexing system to find topics you're interested in, and browse the shelves to find books that you find interesting. Pick out about 10, skim them a bit and find 5 you'll take home, and you might only read through 2 of them but you'll be better off for it.

Fiction: Ask friends you think have good taste in literature to see what they like, ask to borrow books. Ask a librarian or check out what fiction books look fun at your local library. As for what I'd recommend for someone at your level:

> To Kill a Mockingbird
> 1984
> The Road
> Call of the Wild
> Water Margin

Swap music with video games

>putting Proust on the same list as all that trash
Kill yourself, pleb

Painting should be above film.

Also, poetry is obviously the best form of literature

>low tier

This is about right
Lots of great games but art.... ebhh
Is playing soccer an art? Is building a machine art? Is popping this large ass pimple on my cock an art? Not really.

that's not a valid question, there are maybe three anyway

the correct order is the following
music>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>literature>>>>>>>>>>>>>vidya>=film>paintings
if ur a complete noob, start with the starter kit

forgot to attach it

Video games are only a 30 year old medium.

Shadow of the Colossus feels like a greek tragedy though.

The traditional Fallout titles are like an interactive version of a Laurence Sterne novel and deal with morality, choice and consequence and the dangers of politics and science.

Video games are entertainment, why even compare them like a retard?

Every expressive medium can be art.
Being art doesn't mean it's good.

youtube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q

>Is popping this large ass pimple on my cock an art?
Yes

Wrong

Almost right

I agree with this, as long as there's a power gap between music and f*lms

They should all be in mid. Art is form manifest through content

>Shadow of the Colossus
>Planescape Torment
>Modern Warfare 2
>Rapelay
>World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

It's the 21st century, when will you realize that film has dethroned literature

>he thinks literature = fiction