Unironic Peterson thread

how come this guy frequently references the works of Dostoevsky when it comes to the destructive effects of nihilism, but never, when offering his cure, to speak truthfully and try to set your sphere of influence in order, mentions Dostoevsky's best work, The Idiot, in which the main character, Prince Myshkin, literally does embraces Peterson's philosophy as sincerely as a man can, only to catastrophically fail and end his life as a hollow, broken shell.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ylI0uBIsq4Y
jonathan-cook.net/blog/2018-01-24/jordan-peterson-tv-interview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Prince ending up a retard is a metaphor for him going to heaven, please re-read The Idiot so you can understand this.

I wish daddy Peterson would cum in mouth so bad, do you think he would be offended if I e-mailed him regarding this?

Because he has become a salesman.

How did he go to heaven?
He failed to master his social environment despite hyper-genuine efforts and finally his waifu was lust murdered by his shadow self. Sounds more like hell to me.

>destructive effects of nihilism

Just shut the hell up already

No need. I'm right here. Open wide, user.

>kermit, the uh, pseud here

>progressives think we're moving forward, but really we're just moving to the side
>like crabs
why did peterson call that feminist woman a crab? was it because he thought she was crabby because of his innate sexism? genuine question here

does anybody know how this translation compares to the Garnett one?

The cover is horrible.
And yes I'm aware that the painting makes is mentioned in the novel.

I'm not sure Myshkin actually implements Peterson's thinking, consider the "don't be harmless" aspect

Myshkin is a coward. He is weak and passive. Peterson's reflection on the concept of "meek" is basically someone who walks softly but carries a big stick or someone who knows how to use his sword but chooses to keep it sheathed. Myshkin may walk softly, but he doesnt not have the means to defend himself and that is precisely why the things that happen to him do happen. He is half formed, still a child.

Rate this NYT cuck-take

well none of it is true, especially not "vague" and "joyless".

PETERSON literally doesn’t stop going on about how having children can improve your life, how is that self centered ?

literally the whole article is positive towards him except for that one paragraph. why did you even post that? Oh I know why, so you can fuel your persecution complex

>neech's philosophy and take on the world lacks attachment and beauty
what the fuck

Look up Sigmund and Anna Freud's relationship, and then look up the "Jungian" and his daughter's relationshit. He's a Freudian false flagging, and so having children is the sacrifice, the creation of your own death in the form of a son (or a daughter if you're the kind of man who always has a cigar FOR NO REASON AT ALL I PROMISE A CIGAR IS JUST A CIGAR)

I am reading this translation right now. I compared it with the version from Penguin by McDuff and concluded that I like it more. The cross-check with the original in Russian also seemed to favour Myers. As for Garnett, not having read her rendition, she is considered a great stylist, and her translation is sure to be enjoyable, but some mistakes are also expected to occur more certainly than not and probably to a higher degree than with newer translations like your pic related.

Snake oil salesman peddling an ideology that died in a gutter on the side of a road in Fallujah, stop posting his brainlet trash for sad young men without dads

Please elaborate, I'm dumb

>50+ comments on a negative Amazon article in a day

IS this a cult?

Worse than that - it's a cult at siege. He successfully manipulated his subjects into believing that they (understood as >we, the western civilization) are being encircled by postmodernist Marxists aiming to dismantle the very essence of what constitutes >us to Petersonites. Thus, the siege mentality that leads the review gangbanging and youtube comment wars.

hmm sounds like you're just jealous and possibly a neo-marxist?

It seemed to me to be the heart of the article.

We all know that Amazon reviews are heavily scammed and manipulated by bots and fake reviews. Largely useless as a metric for anything.

schizoid, don't bother

literally confirmed for never reading Nietzsche

this pisses me off

Can someone give me a serious explanation about why there is all this backlash towards Peterson and why it seems like a growing minority of people are starting to hate him and meme him now?

I'm not very familiar with him, his writing, or his talks, but I got the impression that most people respected him (at least when he first started popping up). Is it just contrarianism now that he's gained more popularity, or are there legitimate reasons for the dislike? I watched a few of his lectures and discussions this week and nothing stood out to me.

Its because hes being spammed

Thats it

Delete this post. Don't let them know we're accelerating it

You are learning a valuable lesson in memestream swimteam gymnastics. You are experiencing the memestream but instead of going with the flow you are asking why and whither it flows. Some day soon you will be able to pluck a thing out of the stream and evaluate it for yourself without connecting your estimation of its value to how the memestream values it or how it is developing.

You may be surprised to know that it is possible for a thing to be good, become popular for all the wrong reasons among people who don't even understand why it's actually good, then become hated by all kinds of people simply because it became popular, all without more than a handful of people actually evaluating the thing itself for its real qualities.

i like peterson and posted his lecture videos a couple times before he blew up from the bill c-16 thing. but his fanbase is extremely annoying (gullible and dogmatic) and it's become clear that he is not nearly as well versed in what he criticizes as he portrays. desu i think the whole "postmodern neomarxist" thing alone is enough to warrant calling him a pseud. but he's still worth paying attention to and is a fun speaker when he says something new (which is getting rarer) or is challenged by someone who isn't a retard. his self-help stuff is fine but you can kind of understand why people would sneer at it.

Can someone make a "kill me Pete" meme but with Peterson and a few lobsters here and there? I'd make it myself but I'm not a meme artist

I don't really mind that he is a pseud and wrong, but people are sucking his dick for it and spamming him in Veeky Forums.

schizoid and schizotypal aren't the same thing you fucking pseud

This. If there was one Peterson thread a week, it would be one thing, but it seems like there are multiple threads a day. We hate him because he gets spammed, and that's nearly the only reason. At this point I'd love to burn all his books just to see his fanbase whimper and cry, because fuck them, get the fuck off my Veeky Forums you absolute faggots.

I'm spamming Peterson so that people can get mad about it. We all have a role in this awful meme. Isn't that wonderful?

>nietzsche
>no beauty

I think what's written there is that Nietzsche's world is a one without beauty and attachment, not Nietzsche's. This makes the statement no less retarded than otherwise.

>not Nietzsche's writing*

But 90% of Peterson threads are made by his detractors.

>make a thread by posing a specific question for conversation
>thread discussion almost immediately becomes dominated by shitposts and vaguely related metameme discussion
wow it's almost like this board is full of autistic people who don't read

The biggest problem I have with him is that instead of just being what he is, a family centered neocon who read and likes Nietzsche, he started gaining traction with "Alt-Right" fuckers and all of the sudden he's doing interviews with Ben Shapiro.

Like, I don't like either version of him but there is just something more honest about him before he became an figurehead of "enlightened" young white dudes

Do you have the webarchive of this article, por favor?

He struck a nerve with a lot of adultchildren by ruining their fun by telling them to cut the bullshit and grow up.

Don't forget how he enabled the bullshit of a whole other demographic of adult children

REEEEEEEEEEEE
Has literally never read Nietzsche, ugh! Peterson is all those things they said he wasn't and more, gosh! NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE. Why do they keep attacking him, sheeze! It's just not fair; he's a good guy, honest! You're a bad person for posting this, and not a word of it is true. You misunderstand him and his good boy heart.

t. asshurt manchild

> neocon

Why would you use that term on him, and why do you think neocon is an insult.

He's also a pseud

I mean, maybe he's closer to a paleocon but I don't really care.

This social restriction crap is standard "I'm real scared about nothing" moral panic that happens every 10 to 15 years. He read Nietzsche, good for him. He probably understands it better than most people that misread Nietzsche like that NYT guy but Peterson is far from providing any fresh insight and he's far too moralistic to say anything truly interesting.

The dude is basically a conservative DFW.

>He's also a pseud
He makes a living and a career using nothing but words. He's quite literally an intellectual.

an intellectual amongst pseuds

>he's concerned about morality so he's crap
Don't you have some anal prolapse videos to go masturbate to? The adults are trying to have a discussion.

Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh also make a career using nothing but words. Are they intellectuals?

irony

Avoid Garnett like plague

> maybe he isnt a neocon
> maybe he is a paleocon

What is it with everyone getting fed the current doxa, using empty mashed up words that means nothing.

Being concerned with morality doesn't make you crap. Nietzsche was concerned with morality and he's the most influential thinker of the 19th century.

Peterson however is overly concerned not with morality, but with the things he views as immoral. Very little distinguishes him from a didactic non-denominational preacher.

Nothing means anything anymore. You're literally stewing in one of the most postmodern facets of modern culture.

okay

Please go in a cave to wither and die. We don't want your atavistic, prostrated inaction hete

>atavistic, prostrated inaction
Haha, wow dude. I think you're projecting a bit too hard.

ive heard him mention the idiot about 2 times,i may be wrong,but i am certain it was at least once

>it's another "everyone insults each other in increasingly meta ways and failing to provide a shred of substance" thread

Words about intellectual subjects was the implication user

Why were these never released

I know

I think he misses a large point that Peterson seems to make. Peterson constantly talks about the idea that the self and identity is not subjective. Part of your identity is "determined" by interaction with society and other individuals. Also an argument he has for free speech is that by talking ot other people you improve the way you speak and thus the way you think. So it is vitally important to interact with others. It is not the case that he thinks people should be solitary and avoid "loving attachment" but rather learn to conduct yourself in such a way that people will want to have a loving attachment with you.

People generally take his individualism out of proportion. Or extrapolate from some hearsaying. Not that that is anything new on the internet.

youtube.com/watch?v=ylI0uBIsq4Y
how should he have handled this

implication arrow implication arrow implication arrow slash pol slash

I think he did fine. He tried to really think of a way to disentangle what the guy said, realized that he didn't have the time to give a proper answer, maybe he was unfamiliar with the subject the guy was talking about, and so he simply he said he was not in s position to make a judgement on the situation or to give a proper answer to the question. I think it is better to say that you are unable to answer the question right now than to throw something random out that could later be seen as completely wrong but some people take as right because you said it.

Solzhenitsyn said the Holodomor WASN'T a genocide though, although millions died in it

>Solzhenitsyn opined on 2 April 2008 in Izvestia that the 1930s famine in the Ukraine was no different from the Russian famine of 1921 as both were caused by the ruthless robbery of peasants by Bolshevik grain procurements.[97] He claimed that the "provocatory shriek about a 'genocide' was started in the minds of Ukrainian chauvinists decades later, who are also viciously opposed to 'Moskals.'" The writer cautioned that the genocidal claim has its chances to be accepted by the West due to the general western ignorance of Russian and Ukrainian history.[97]

This falls apart, because the anti-communists of the Cold War (who are still alive) are still opposing Russia today.

Only retards are pure you retard. Haven't you seen young pope?

Who makes this embarrassing fanart?

History revisionism

Im sure he recived many messeges like this.

Very good post.

he has a cult following and they all substitute him for a preacher/father so its unsurprising

>My politics are very different from Jordan Peterson’s, but like many people I was engrossed by his recent interview with Channel 4’s Cathy Newman (the interview can also be found here). In my case, at least, it was less because of what was said than because of the nature of the encounter.

>If comments under the interview suggest anything, the video went viral chiefly because the right believe it shows their man – Peterson – intellectually crushing a so-called “hard-left feminist” like Newman. In fact, it proves nothing of the sort – more the misogyny of some of Peterson’s fans.

>Here is an ideological duel between a sophisticated brand of the libertarian right and a corporate – aka faux – left-liberalism, represented by Newman. The pair, in their commitment to an aggressive individualism within a neoliberal system, have far more in common with each other than they do with a real left. I suspect Peterson would have struggled considerably more to justify his positions had he come up against someone like Noam Chomsky rather than Newman.

>Nonetheless, the interview revealed something deeply troubling about what passes today for a news interview, and about the role of journalists. Here were two people talking at each other. This was mostly shadow play, rarely moving beyond shallow ideological posturing.

jonathan-cook.net/blog/2018-01-24/jordan-peterson-tv-interview/

milo pls go

>5 star self-help book

The fact that people don't find this ridiculous is all the proof needed for the accusation of idol-worship and cult behavior.

>promotes freedom of speech
>shills patrician-tier authors such as Nietzsche, Eliade, Jung, Dostoyevsky, Solzhenitsyn
>dumbs down from their superior level to the average intellect of the american
>makes astonishing psychological analyses of novels of said authors, of biblical stories, existentialist works and even simple tales such as pinocchio which hide a deep psychological baggage packed inside of them
>overcomes the great plague of our times: nihilism and atheism through MEANING, GOD, AND OBJECTIVE MORALITY
>is a great motivational speaker, superb in debates with the SJWs, skillful rhetorician etc.
>master of logic: understands that logic>emotion and isn't afraid of stating this in arguments with SJWs
>fights against the degradation of the culture and its foremost threats, namely marxism and postmodernism
>oh and islamism too, i forgot about that
So why is Veeky Forums hating on him after all? Is this place full of liberals, postmodern marxists, SJWs, neoatheists or what?

how the hell is bringing other consciousnesses into being just to affirm and validate yourself NOT the epitome of narcissism?

This guy is an ideologue, he has nothing of interest to say and his chief goal is selling his personality and lifestyle to a select group of people who already agree with him. His work has the exact same merit as the leftists who do shit like critical theory and his main work that got him a clinical psychology phd amounts to a statement of belief. It is irrelevant to psychology and empty as a work of philosophy. I think maybe some of the more shameless ideologues in the theology department might pretend like it is a good contribution to knowledge, but besides that this guy has nothing to say. Even his other psychology research is largely ignored lol.

>Islamism is bad

t. Brainlet

that book is about you user lol

t.sandnigger

Given the level of Peterson-spam I'd say that Veeky Forums is divided fairly evenly between detractors and supporters of JBP.

>absolutely btfo in a reddit post

How will peterson fags recover from this

>the lives of young men can be improved more through loving attachment
Yes my mummy loves me very much I will stay with mummy forever and ever

gay

>not one of his analyses has been presented on Veeky Forums for discussion
>has written a self-help book with facile advice such as "lol don't forget 2 smell da flowers"
>is the subject of 10-20 threads on Veeky Forums at any given time, killing threads with actual discussion
>completely misconstrues the thinkers he associates with postmodernism, clearly has no idea what they're trying to do or saying
>has the most juvenile reading of Heidegger of all time
>engages in the most amateurish dialogue with philosophical tradition conceivable, miseducating hordes of his followers
>is clearly just a vessel for young men to express their ressentiment, exactly the same as Dawkins, Hitchens and the ideology of internet atheism was a decade ago, his followers being too young and too much of a bunch of newfags to realize that this is history repeating itself

That's why I hate Petersonthreads. They have pretty much nothing to do with his ideas and are totally killing the board.

The self doesn't exist

He's a neoliberal at heart.

>Making art means you're a cultist
Wanna know how I know you're a pleb?