twitter.com/AnonBabble

just about

No. Save yourself some valuable time.

Why not. It has a 92% on goodreads

>muh paternal abuse
>muh fledgling alcoholism
>muh fucking shitty ending

Go ahead bud. Consider yourself warned.

Aye, it's a romp. Only takes a couple hours.

Yes it is.

Sure.

Great book. Read it

if you're under 21 and still have some time to waste on second-rate novels written by alcoholics then yeah maybe

the best bukowski. you understand a troubled persons mind. he really let himself out on this novel.

If you're familiar with Bukowski and interested in his style, then definitely. It's arguably his best work of prose. I enjoyed it a lot but also see why others on this board wouldn't.

Bukowski's semi-autobiographical novels are the shit man. They may not be fucking literary masterpieces but they are some of the most engaging entertaining reads. I read Ham on Rye in one fucking day man. That's how encapsulating that shit was. The dude was fucking bitches with a crowd at like 11 years old. Bukowski if a fucking legend man. His books are fucking great and entertaining. Some of my favorite books. Read em all man. Fucking Post Office, Women, Hollywood. Fuck yeah. I love Bukowski. Like getting to read about how shitty and degenerate he was. Fuck man it's a wild ride.

I respectfully disagree, best Bukowski prose is pic related. Written towards the end of his career and life, it's the most refined his writing has ever been. The veil was lifted and for once you could see the person under the gimmick just enough for it to be truly endearing. Ham on Rye is something a drunk rambles to you on a barstool. Women is something a drunk tells you on his deathbed.

Its good.
Be warned though its a pseuds bible.

Dude lost his virginity at 25.

Sure. It was okay. Kind of funny. And an easy read.

FUcking hell you mean he was lying when he wrote that shit about Chinasky fucking that chick in the rundown car? What the fuck man

this. I have yet to read factotum, however. what do you think of that one user?

Factotum lies in a certain friction point. While not selling out per say, he is definitely within his comfort zone of reliable blue collar stories. I consider it to be a rough draft to Barfly, his screenplay, which of course eventually became a movie. He was trying to pack his life into a bottle and sell it which betrays the gimmick, makes it less pure. It is entertainment, a sick man trying to juggle for adoring fans on his death bed. the best part about Bukowski is you can read his Chinanski stories like a long winding biography (ala Proust) and then diverge off into fantastical short stories

I saw the Matt Dillon film recently. it was alright. I quite liked it even though it wasn't well received. how would you rank his novels?

I thought I wasn't going to read any more Bukowski but this makes me want to give him one more chance.

Veeky Forums thoughts on pic related?

It was 24
youtu.be/k5cxkh0euvU

Women obviously stands as his best for me. The rest are interchangeable. Now don't crucify me on this, he as an entertainer is leagues above most. The formula is stiff, predictable if you want to be hyperbolic (drunk does something dumb). but for those that really dig in there are a panorama of themes to examine, status quos to judge, sacrifice of gimmick for the real, dissolution of the self, and meeting up with rotten people. The best thing about Bukowski is that he is readable, before sleeping, while taking a shit, after being told you are going to die, and yet, he and you are one for fifteen pages or more. Forever commiseration,forever locked into that truce

any of his poetry you'd recommend?

it's a quick read, i found it enjoyable.

You Get so Alone At Times it Just makes Sense
>Love Is a Dog From Hell
>Septugenarian Stew

Well, this year is my year.

I didn't dig Love is a Dog from Hell, I think The Days Runaway Like Wild Horses is much stronger. Also The Last Night of the Earth Poems.

Also I don't know how young you are but it's probably worth a read if you're under 23?
I haven't gone back since but it feels like it was crucial brick in my lit development.

He just watched her get fucked in the car. He was keeping watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=047rxy5nYeo

BASED