Can we discuss this. It's probably the comfiest book I've read in ages

Can we discuss this. It's probably the comfiest book I've read in ages.

Should I read more Ishiguro? What other books reflect similar coming-of-age themes?

Sorry I can't come up with a better discussion. I went out for a few beers with the lads and my fingertips are numb.

not so much a coming of age novel, but remains of the day is my favorite Ishiguro novel

There is a novel called "Poo Poo Pee Pee Ca Ca Doo Doo Wee Wee" by Xiun Shihzn. It's superb.

Coming of age stories just make me that much more suicidal

Is it like Norwegian wood? Cause goddamn i loved that book. Maximum comfiness

Just read this, what ar yoyr thoughts on it?

Does anyone know where I can get this in Japanese?

Really? The books premise falls apart, if you take 10 seconds to think it through ... though I heard his other stuff is better.
I recommend Sula by Tony Morrison, if you want a coming of age story, that holds up.

why?

Because I could only find an english version on b-ok.org
I'd like to read it in its original version.

>it in its original version
Ishiguro is British, he was born in Britain, and wrote in English his whole life.

>this science fiction novel can't possibly say anything meaningful because it's fictional science doesn't work like real science

He was born in Japan, but the point still stands

What point?
It was written in English you mongoloid

Yeah he moved to the UK when he was a small child. Can he even speak Japanese?

Reads like some kind of political allegory, but the question is: what about, exactly? Nothing quite fits.

It's not about the science aspect, but about the social aspects. Wouldn't there be clones revolting left and right? Trying to escape? Would human society as a whole just accept this? Couldn't we produce organs more cost effecient on their own, instead of raising a human being and feed it for 20 odd years?
He had some nice concepts about life and the human condition, but the sci-fi and world building around it is just weak.

>Should I read more Ishiguro?
yes, I can recommend The Remains of the Day, it's very comfy aswell.

I notice now that already mentioned it... fpbp

I was agreeing with you dude

The entire point was that they didn't revolt or try to escape... they just accepted it

I love Ishiguro and fully believed he deserved his nobel. I even have a first edition signed copy of Remains of the Day.

This novel is YA throwaway junk

this

You're first three question describes the core conflict that drives the characters in the novel.

Remains of the day is a book i was forced to read for class but ended up loving every minute of.

Anyone read The Buried Giant? I almost liked it, but it's too thin on character, plot and drama.

He also writes fight scenes like he's never thrown a punch.

This and while you could easily criticise it for being simplistic it's one of the major reasons why I like the book. Instead of complaining or revolting with no success characters spend their days discussing Proust and shit like that. As much as you could label the whole thing idealistic they've chosen to live peaceful and innocent lives rather than wasting their lives complaining about injustices on social media while consuming nihilistic memes for edgy teens. The way they discuss wanting to be bus drivers or nurses earnestly is the type of thing we don't do because all people want to do now is conquer the world.

Somebody described it as being like a YA novel. It is. It's like a comfy anime set in England.

Same with me. I read it for a British Literature course in college last year to fill a requirement, and it ended up being one of the best books I read that year.
It was a solid class, too.

I'm currently a few pages before Gawain's Second Reverie, and I think the book is pretty decent so far.
I'm really interested in his use of candles and fire.

What other books were on that course?

Ishiguro is trash

its nice and quiet and yearning, but I don't think britain is like that anymore. It's more like a book set in the past than the future at this point

I've read the buried giant and thought it was pretty good. I don't really think it was thin on character. Plot maybe but it is definitely a mood novel.

I don't think any of his books are similar in this way, but I also don't think NLMG is a coming-of-age novel. Like the YA posters here, the only explanation I can see is that there's a belief that a book that chronicles the adolescence of a character in a dystopian world is by definition YA. Ironically, it seems many typical YA readers dislike this book because it doesn't meet their expectations.