Meta Thread

There was a particular thread today, I won't dignify it by identifying which, that really made it clear to me that the discourse on this board is sorely lacking. I genuinely believe there are a lot of good people on Veeky Forums. Regardless of personality type. People who are intelligent, thoughtful, sensitive, and hopeful. Up until now I've tended to use this board as a tool for dispensing my opinions in a laconic fashion. Why is that? Because it's the easy thing to do, I guess. And because it's not how one interacts in the real world on a day to day basis as well I suppose. But it makes for painful interactions. I seldom see intellectual curiosity on this board. It's a dog pile of opinions. And that can certainly have its place. But I think this community is too much of an opportunity to let it devolve into merely that. Why let misanthropic and egotistic impulses set the tone when those things only serve to make smart people who are already alienated in their real life further alienated? For my part, I say no more. I want to do my part to raise the discourse here so we can work together to help eachother reach our potential. Who is with me? Who will take the pledge to raise the discourse of Veeky Forums? I love this board. I want to see it triumph.

-No more baseless insults

-No more intellectual dishonesty

-[we can work out more points in the thread below together]

Butthurt INTP detected

well, infj actually. it made me sick to see the senseless attacks lobbied at the intp's on here for no reason. making people feel bad about themselves for things they can't change makes you trash.

This is Veeky Forums, not book club. I agree that discourse needs to be higher level here, but insults are part of the culture, and part of what makes us a pressure cooker of ideas. The harsher the better. Better to get the shit kicked out of your ideas here and now than in the real world.

Jordan Peterson
O
R
D
A
N

P
E
T
E
R
S
O
N

what do you think now

you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded

My post was about baseless insults, not any insult. Calling someone a retard without bothering to explain why they are supposedly retarded. Your response demonstrates you have a weak mind, for instance, because you couldn't hold a small amount of the nuance of it in your head. And also because you seem to think that you'll be able to workshop your ideas here to the point of being irrefutible in the real world.

Expressing the opposite of someone's sentiment isn't a good troll. Read more books to develop creativity, maybe.

what’s wrong with intp?

>searching through a pile of shit trying to find a fleck of gold
whoever called you a retard wasn't wrong

You're just upset that I'm beating you guys at your own game by having meaningful insults while also developing a stunning new paradigm.

>you can't extract info from someone calling you retard
>it couldn't possibly mean what you just said is either offensive to someone personally or just shit in general
shut the fuck up retard

No more Jordan Peterson
No more MBTI

More stuff like the Gravity's Rainbow threads

What isn't?

Veeky Forums already is a triumph. I can "talk" about books to co workers and friends and have them mumble back some half assed response or recommend great books to my peers that will never be read. Here, here is where we fight, synapses firing, ganglia forever at war, blood spilled only the precious ichor of time. Come to this forge to be purified, remade.

If the point of this board were to just express likes and dislikes then there would be buttons for that like on social media. There are discussions on this board. I know it's difficult for you, but learn to elucidate.

People on this board do not like to think.

Social media is full of mouth breathing subhumans. I trust this board more, even with like/dislike tier opinions.

OP ur a dumb bitch, nobody cares about your dumb dream
honestly you talk like an autist; everything about your rhetorical choices undermines the changes you want to make. How can you use Veeky Forums for any period of time and think a sterile """reasoned""" paragraph will move anyone or change anything?
furthermore all your responses reek of """reason""". the kind or """reason""" that discredits an argument for both not being true and showing you think your better than those without good """reasons""".
you don't love this board and it would be better off without you

Veeky Forums (and Veeky Forums more generally) are kind of intrinsically shitholes. You will always have people being rude and obnoxious. But I do think we can and should be more strict about all the inane bait threads that are being posted. Mods plz

Just up your insult game on the Veeky Forumstle's use of language. Lets start making memes for lists of words that show you to be an inept student of language, an adolescent who doesn't even know that their insult makes them sound weak. Attack the language of this bored ceaselessly while remaking it to suit your purpose. This will work to some degree.

But as for intellectual dishonesty...can't do it. I didn't not go to university to study philosophy and instead read a bunch of major works all on my own and then go work all day to come home and not purposely make seemingly logical, yet radically paradoxical arguments for nothing. I thrive on my intellectual dishonesty. I would be nothing without the thought of giving government people, religious people, random people the impression I know what I'm talking about and Actually believe what it is I'm talking about.... Why else would I leave myself so open to attack again and again if not for some grand troll.

Was Kurkygayard dishonesty?

How high of an IQ do we need to have to post here?

Hey Im the Entp from that thread, did any one read my post? It was a green text, I had to work and didn't get to check to see any replies.

Since this is the meta thread, what happened to that "books on waifuism" thread? Seemed like there was good discussion and it fit the rules of the board, but it's 404'd now.

You need a high enough IQ to be able to understand how the archives work

If you don't like the immature bullshit on Veeky Forums, look for another venue for intelligent discourse. Like it or not, this behaviour is part of the territory. Just because you grew up and your tastes changed, or you are a newfag, doesn't mean you can or are able to change this place.

I'm sure there is a Reddit home for you somewhere. Faggit,

How to detox the entire board
>hide all Peterson threads
>hide all of r9k "tfw no Veeky Forums gf" threads
>hide all blatantly off topic threads ("what is the most literary pet?" is an actual thread at the time of writing)
>hide all "can anyone recommend me books on [political ideology]" threads
>hide all threads on women (why are women such brainlets lole???)
>hide all low effort shit like "post a pic get a book recommendation" threads
>hide shitposts in general
>hide threads that only talk about a person/philosopher without any mentioning of their works for discussion (these are almost always bait threads for starting flamewars)
Do all of this and you'll be left with threads that are actually on books and are made to spark discussion. The problem is that these threads have usually less than 15 replies thanks to the fact that everyone is shitposting in the dozen Peterson threads on the catalog right now with 300 replies. If every person on Veeky Forums did everything I listed right now then all the threads with two replies that are actually on topic would get the replies that all the bait threads are getting and this board would actually have something growing going for it

How do boards wind up with containment generals? Can there please be a containment Jordan Peterson general?

at this point probably less than 10% of this board actually reads anything regularily

this thread is really intellectually dishonest to be quite frank and honest

>Who is with me? Who will take the pledge to raise the discourse of Veeky Forums? I love this board. I want to see it triumph.
I'm with you brother

I think more group reads like the Gravity's Rainbow group would be nice. With shorter works there could just be a date set in advance to discuss the whole thing.
A barrier to quality discussion is a lack of people who have read the relevant material at any given time, and this would help to combat that a bit.

>Why let misanthropic and egotistic impulses set the tone
because those are the only good posters with a wide breadth of reading.