From what site do you fellers buy your books?

From what site do you fellers buy your books?

Until recently I'd been using Amazon almost exclusively. I think it's a great company, but I'd like to patron a different site. I did a test buy from AbeBooks and was pleased with the outcome. A $4 used book in great condition, fitting the seller's description. So I bought several more used books, each for about the same price, with the similar description of "Very good quality... little wear" etc. Today, ~10 days later (twice as long as it takes Amazon), I get two of them in the mail. One has stickers plastered all over it, while the other had only 3 stickers but I damaged the cover a bit while peeling one of them off. I'll have to operate on them later to clear the rest. 2tedious4me. They were more worn than the description suggested, too.

Pic related.

>i think its a great company
Liberals get the wall or the rope

K, tell that to an actual liberal. They do good work. I'm not basing my judgment on what Bezos believes.

Powell's books has a good website and the books are in good condition. Shipping does take a while compared to Amazon but it's not a big deal for me.

I got some from thrift books.com. Took about 2 weeks but prices can't be beat. Problem is that you probably won't find everything you want. Mostly used popular fiction.

Usually either wait until I can find a copy that I like at a local used book store, or if I need it right away to fill out a personal reading list, I'll order a copy from AbeBooks. I'm a bookbinding fag though, so I'm usually looking for pre-1970 hardcovers or fine press.

I bought two books (Mason & Dixon and an intro to ethics textbook) from Abebooks to test it out.
M&D was a hardcover classified as "Very good" condition. I recieved a library copy so it has that clear crinkly crap around the dust jacket and the edges of the book look slightly dirty. Overall I am happy with that one but I wish I knew it would be a library copy.
The philosophy book was supposedly "like new", and it looked it from the outside, but the first couple of chapters were completely covered in underlining and annotations (what is the purpose of underlining when you underline half the page?). This really pissed me off because I cannot stand underlining or highlighting.

I will probably order a few more times to keep testing it out.

ebay, brand new or like new, hardcovers only

You should contact the seller if the library book was not marked ex-libris on their item page, they would probably refund some of the purchase price.

I've always has luck sending the seller a message to ask if they can supply a picture of the book, if I'm worried about the condition.

Modern hardcovers are garbage, you might as well just buy paperbacks. Glued bindings, non-archival paper, and sagging text blocks.

Abebooks is the GOAT for buying the cheap Indian paperback editions of overpriced textbooks. That's about it.

Abebooks is great for out of print academic texts. Just picked up an English translation of the Book of Lord Shang a few weeks ago.

I would actually really like to have a one night stand with lena dunham, where I take off the condom and put a fat load in her ugly worn down cunt while she's ovulating. The problem is that I know it'd probably lead to an abortion. It'd be really fun and hot to burden this disgusting woman with the prospect of single motherhood in a world of illegal abortions. Then again, given that it's lena dunham, I'd probably be giving her a 12th single child. And probably the first half-white one

I feel the same way senpai, but I still wouldnt bone that thing

AbeBooks has shit condition ratings. I only order from them if I need to buy a cheap book for class. I do not recommend them otherwise.

I have very low standards in who I’ll fuck. I’m a faithful boyfriend and fortunately my girlfriend is attractive physically and emotionally, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t fancy imagining fucking much less attractive hambeasts for fun. I find something really arousing about the idea of fucking an unattractive woman and mating with her. Especially fat ones. Something about fulfilling a biological need with someone who won’t complain in the act and who you don’t feel bad sneaking away from in the middle of the night once she thinks she’s having a baby with two parents

it's nice to know that no one uses the same online bookseller i do. wouldn't want anyone buying the shit i want from under me.

I’ll try this place out next time I order something.

abe is fine and frankly is often your only choice if buying out of print books; just make sure to tick the "seller-supplied photos" box to the left of your search so you can see the actual item you're buying (rather than a stock photo). Also check ebay but again make sure you're not getting stock photos.

I don't trust any used sale that I can't see first. Got fucked a few times just like you did. Way too hit or miss to just go in blind.

>just make sure to tick the "seller-supplied photos" box to the left of your search so you can see the actual item you're buying
wait how do you do this?? i have been using them for ages and i didn't know this was an option. i went back to check and still can't find it. halp.

please stop

You can only select it after you've started a search, on the toolbar to the left of your results

Also note how the photos are subtitled "seller image" rather than "stock image."

thank you for teaching me how to computer.

Book depository, cheapest place to buy books in Australia that I have come across

no they track you and sell your information and create a site built to cater to shopaholics and stupid bourgeoisie consumption habits that imperil the world economy

again, liberals get the rope or wall

amazon because the main thing i give a shit about is the fact that it will be here two days after I purchase it and if there's any issue, amazon is pretty good about giving replacements/refunds without a fuss (in my experience anyway)

idgaf about supporting local bookstores, let 'em burn

>using the term bourgeoisie unironically

you're the liberal here, bub

i buy used books from ebay :)

And commies get a free helicopter ride you faggot

Abebooks is great in general. Don't listen to this little shit

You guys must just be retarded. I have ordered like a hundred books from them, from reliable sellers, and haven't more than once had to contact a seller for an unsatisfactory product. Brain up.

I agree. It's a shame amazon haven't gone full throttle on their book selling here. Most titles listed are sold and shipped by book depository.

I just use Amazon, reliable with refunds, plus if you have prime they ship unbelievably fast.

try and find a good used bookstore in your area and get as much from there as you can