Was he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

Was he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

>jacked off in public

100% /ourguy/

He was intellectually dishonest you know?

You are being intellectually dishonest if you truly think that son

I bet he smelled very intellectually dishonest.

Yes the illuminati destroyed all his works

New meme?

elaborate

define elaborate

This confirms he was /our guy/ you flaming faggot fuck.

No, he didn't exist to impress 14 year olds on a website.

He stepped on a carpet on the entrance of the Academy.
>I now step on Plato's pride!
Plato answered
>Yeah...with another kind of pride....

Replace Veeky Forums with ancient Greece and the inverse of your statement is more or less true.

I don't believe the legends about him... I just don't think this guy was truly obscene, or a true outsider or antagonist, despite what he is remembered for. In my view, the people who really threaten the status quo are simply not allowed to exist or be recorded in history. I'm sure the rulers of society would be quite pleased to see everyone choose 'virtuous' lives as beggars if it means there is no resistance to the ceaseless plundering of the world.

Diogenes never denied being proud, he just wasn't proud of rugs.

>plato said a man was a featherless biped
>he is applauded for this
>diogenes plucked a chicken and called it platos man
>plato had to add "with nails" to his definition

He was a top tier shitposter

Plato confirmed for being reptilian.

He's up there but Hegesias was our true guy.

>None of this, however, is as strong as the testimony of Cicero,[4] who claims that Hegesias wrote a book called Death by Starvation (Greek: ἀποkαρτερῶν), in which a man who has resolved to starve himself is introduced as representing to his friends that death is actually more to be desired than life, and that the gloomy descriptions of human misery which this work contained were so overpowering that they inspired many people to kill themselves, in consequence of which the author received the surname of Death-persuader (Peisithanatos). This book was published at Alexandria, where he was, in consequence, forbidden to teach by king Ptolemy II Philadelphus (285-246 BC).

Lmao

Is that book extant? Sounds like a good read desoo

he doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would sit on the computer all day talking about books he's never read

Probably got burned in the library

Too close, yiu're too Veeky Forums and too woke to be posting or even lurking here. Be free dude (that much I know about you) and stop s/lit/posting my feels away.

He did it in the town square.

>Was he, dare I say it; ourguy?

ftfy

Nice twist.

fukn kek

>Diogenes was relaxing in the morning sunlight, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight."

That's what you think.

Something similar happened in the 1700's. I spent some time researching the origins of different religious theories during the time of the New Lights and was surprised to find some interesting stories about people staving themselves to death, fathers giving their daughters away to so call preachers. I've been slowly compiling a bunch of base shit as a part of a religious epic.

where do i start with the greeks? if someone can direct me to a chart or something that'd be great...

Go to the Veeky Forums wiki, there's a great chart on there somewhere.

How do we know shit like this actually happened?

Any recs on this subject?

The original savage detective.

Can you expand? I've always been interested in these subjects as well

Because it said so in a scroll in another language dummy

Most of what I know is from diaries and secondary sources from the late 19th and early 20th century, mostly from religious people who don't spend much time on the detail other than to denounce some sect or other. The reasoning for such acts is a bit murky, which is why I've been so fascinated. I don't know if I can expand without giving away some of the best bits which I'd like to write about someday.

Imagine a young woman telling everyone at a church that Jesus wasn't real, that nothing in the bible pertained to them morally. At lot of ideas about the Elect and spirit/ flesh distinction were being fought over for fifty years, and most of what we know about it is theological discourses. But the ideas came from the ground up and were only refined by the clergy in a lot of cases. I've even come across some pretty funny associations between the English and French libertines and these religious movements that I'm speculating on were to do with liberating prostitutes from their conceptions of evil.

But he did end up doing that