Eastern philosophy

What are the essentials? Where should one start?

Start with the Taoists...

>eastern
>philosophy
Pick one.

Nature (science) srs

with the greeks, plebian

This

get the cheapest copy of tao te ching you can then go outside

Start with up dog

An Introduction to Chinese Philosophy by JeeLoo Liu
Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy by Ivanhoe, Van Norden

What is up dog

Nothin much

Haha got me
Whats ur name??

hhaha i'm Arze'kan Zer. don't even worry about it happens to the best of us hahaha

Just memorize tao te ching and you'll know as much as anyone. Seriously, you won't get much more out of chinese philosophy than sorta meaningful aphorisms and quaint anecdotes. All wisdom is intuitive and can't be taught anyway.

It requires the puzzles to apply the intuition

Nice to meet you

I'm
Fleur da Lavase

Tao te ching is pretty much just empty nonsense poetry, Confucianism is "obey tha law lol" I Ching is just a superstitious oracle so basically just bullshit.

I actually thought I'd find something of worth from the Asian philosophies but its mostly just empty words.

Maybe Buddhism is poignant? I haven't gotten that far yet.

>then go outside
Whats this for

Study nature

>Tao te ching is pretty much just empty nonsense poetry
What an ignorant thing to say

What for

>LOL, make ur mind be like a rock!

So deep and profound.

To understand the pattern of its reality

I'm getting mixed messages here.

Taoism is the philosophical endgame, anyway. Just read that and then go for a walk

Tao te ching or Dao de jing (taoism/daoism in general) is one of the earliest examples of a becoming ontology, it greatly influenced Heidegger, to name a modern example, he even attempted to produce a translation (which was deemed too Heideggerian, hence abandoned after the 6th chapter or smth).Confucianism is the opposite of "obey tha law lol"(- Thats Legalism, an fierce opponent to the Confucian school), rather it promotes filial piety. (To see the difference between the two schools of thought, one must not look further than Analects 13:8).
If you think you will like Buddhism and not like Taosim, no point in trying.
Nonetheless, there a lot of other people who share the belief that that Asian philosophies are "mostly just empty words". If you're interested in studying the main differences, i suggest you use plato and aristotle as comparisons from a western standpoint.

Start by figuring out what is the sound of one hand clapping

Is this worth picking up?

The Sarva Darsana Samgraha (or Review of the Different Systems of Hindu Philosophy)
You can skip everything else eastern. Maybe some I Ching and Taijing.
Daoism and Confucianism (and all that shit) is bullshit.

>daoism
>bullshit
>zhuangzi
>bullshit

wich edition, post links etc.

No. idk about the rest but AoW signals you're a faggot.

>some Taijing

oh wait, it's just "Taiji"
all the chinging is confucius

Sarvadarśanasaṅgraha

Real talk? Start off with Taoism. First read Lao Zi and Zhuangzi, some supplemental texts/seminars, (alan watts has a good talk on tao te ching) then maybe throw in some of the minor taoists. It's easy to chew through, but the point is to keep returning to the same texts and ruminate over what is said. There are plenty of collected editions that gather the most important thinkers.

Confucianism is too provincial and timebound to be interesting unless you're trying to understand the culture in history of China as a whole.

Buddhism is for fags as far as I'm concerned.

Finish off with the I Ching and Bruce Lee.

Finishing with the I Ching, is like finishing with Socrates.

Wrong. It's actually a simple philosophy. If you don't understand it, you're retarded. You probably think Heraclitus was just a rambling madman too.

yes, exactly, it's really simple to see how much nonsense it is

It's quite intuitive really. If you're struggling with it that's a sign of some real mental blockage.

Tao of Pooh is good fer newbs.

Why does AoW signal that one is a faggot? That book contains the Tao Te Ching as well.

Introduction to the study of the hindu doctrines by rene guenon

Can anyone answer me?

Yes

just look at a tree for some time and youre done.

before doing that you wont get shit about what they talk. and it is actually unnecessary cause everything is in the tree.

This, and the Doctrine of Awakening by Evola. Basically, anyone who is not actually Eastern

Start with Confucius. Seriously. Everybody gives him short shrift because most Westerners are taken in by the "muh Eastern spirituality" meme. But Confucianism is one of the most elegant intellectual traditions in the world, and one that can make a practical difference in the way you live your life. Read the Analects, the Mencius, the Xunzi. Read them multiple times until you grasp their subtleties. It's entirely worth it.

Don't read westerners' books on vedanta philosophy. Go to the primary source

Is there a translation you can recommend?

Start with the Greeks

Im quite acquainted with western philosophy; I wish to know if there is any english translation of the source of the Vedanta philosophy

taoism>confucianism>mohism>buddhism
Every time desu

Because it's a meme book repped by /pol/yps and mgtow's. Not that it's shit, but those are the type of people you'd be associated with.

>“Govern big countries / Like you cook little fish” - Lao Tzu
This is why asian philosophy is a joke
just random psudeophiosophical semi deep crap

How do you figure?
Lao Zi literally predicted Heidegger.

>muh complexity is better!!!
>muh intellectualism

>How do you figure?
After reading Chuang Zi, you'll grasp some things in yourself that seemed long gone

Just listen to a ton of Alan Watts and meditate. You'll be super wise in no time, user.

Like?

>thinks he finished the western canon
Okay

>simple
>struggle
no it's so shallow there's nothing to get but: "be flexible and patient". That's it; really fucking profound.

Exactly. These guys don't know shit.
Their minds are also filled with empty nonsense faggotry.

A Sourcebook in Indian Philosophy by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan

Or you're simply frustrated and have decided it means nothing. What Lao Tzu said about muddy water seems very apt in this case.

I stopped reading about 75% into it. After hearing "be flexible and patient" said in 60 different long-winded ways.