Chimamanda

Lit can't admit to themselves that this is the best contemporary writer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg
youtube.com/watch?v=hJ8OSrW6-Go
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oh boy an immigrant narrative, pretty groundbreaking

That book was 2 stars at best

I think you mean "powerful".

I don’t read non males

>a tour de force

I honestly just assume any book written by anyone of non-East Asian and non-European heritage is just affirmative action at this point.

There are decent books and poems from India and the Middle East but otherwise that's a good filter to have these days

So this a publication-worthy level of prose these days, eh?

no i am

>That opening sentence
This can't be real

Never heard of her. How much of her writing has to do with race?

until l'empereur croaks there needn't be even ironic discussion about this

All of it

I’ve read some of her short stories, she’s not bad. I’d say she’s on par with, like, J Franzen and Zadie Smith

He is so goddamn ugly

Anyway Laszlo Krasznahorkai is the best living writer

I feel like Houllebecq kinda likes being ugly though. In a weird way, he pulls it off

Half a Yellow Sun is dope

I've had to watch this video twice in school

youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg

It's definitely an image he cultivates, look at him just a few years ago, with a normal jacket and hair-comb he looks like a regular fellow

Ifemelu, in the summer, smelly like poopy, smelling like other smells, when it’s warm, like poo.

ever head of sasha sokolov?

Yes, don't forget Salman.

Though I've never actually read him so IDK.

It's sad that artistic blacks can't seem to overcome race. They're still enslaved mentally.

>businesses need to spend more money catering to fringe minorities they will hardly ever encounter because otherwise they're racist

A meteor can't come soon enough.

Purple Hibiscus doesn't discuss race but lit probably won't like it although i enjoyed it. Americanah deals with race but not to the extent people here are making it out to be, you'd probably not get her books unless you're Nigerian, sounds stupid but its true.

This is fucking middle-school tier shit

fuck this dumb writer and her publishers what the fucc

yeah never mind the centuries of hindu and persian literature and poetry

That comment section. Such cancer.

"impactful"

WTF, he likes L'amour est dans le pré?
youtube.com/watch?v=hJ8OSrW6-Go

this

I think this person meant to write an epic poem, but didn't know that such a form existed, so they called it a novel, and the publishers were persuaded by the sheer fervor of tokenism.

Schopenhauer said a text can be interesting because 1) it has original reflections 2) it deals with unexplored experiences, regardless of the quality of the writing
The experience of Black people in the face of racism is to some degree, unexplored/forgotten (people were calling America post-racial). It is something we all talk about but that we are rediscovering and arguing about. It is open for black writers to write about. The ones that do it best will capture the imagination of people. thousands of others black writers aren't being discussed on this thread because they didn't do it as well as her.

i think he likes that brown sugar

Note the 'at this point', I'm obviously not assuming Omar Khayyam was a progressive charity case.

>tfw i let my french go to shit after highschool and now i can't get all the good houellebecq lore

i hope they hurry up with that translation AI

Indians have something of an obsession with tigers.

It's not bad imho. Has some flaws, quite wordy. Other than that I gained a sense of satisfaction reading it. Refined enough for publication.

It's not whatever Chris-chan pumped out. So it's decent/good in my eyes.

to be fair, tigers eat pajeets

It's bland. There's nothing particularly interesting about the way she describes Princeton: "the campus, grave with knowledge" is just rehashing tired old tropes, and everything else is, for better or for worse, geared towards the racial narrative that's the whole point of her work. It's basically old, tired dressing on an old, tired subject.

I see your point.

While I do think she is trying so hard to write fancily because of her narrative. I've read books with a racial narrative. Granted the stories are more than half a century old (pre-mid civil rights era.) I come from a liberal environment so I was spoonfed this.

>original reflections
>DARN DAT WHITEY

I have a suspicion that it's because she has a masters in creative writing from Johns Hopkins, so whether she's doing it consciously or otherwise she's aping better works by graduates of similar programs.

I wonder if it's possible to write a good book with a strong black racial narrative. Maybe it's just that I'm a racist, so I can't appreciate whatever is there.

Karine Le Marchand, host of L'amour est dans le pré. Fuck, I laugh at you Veeky Forumstle incel monoglots

>laughing at someone for not knowing the host of the french adaptation of a british reality show

sorry for not being a housewife m8

she's kind of cute
does she have nice feet?

Writers are human. Not everybody is perfect. From the looks of her word choice, this must be subconsciously. Though playing devil's advocate, we're all influenced by something.

You have racist/bigoted viewpoints. though I'd rather not go all "tumblr" since that behavior is not approved here. Socioeconomic politics is tricky and requires a lot of input from members of multiple communities. Which is why there are so many _______ studies majors in society.
On books with a racial narrative, It has been done before. Depending on the era of American history you want to explore. Frederick Douglass is a great example if you want a look in antebellum slave society. I read classics like Raisin in the Sun and the Color Purple, that was what the democrats on the school board wanted me to consume (since the teachers were boomers, no contemporary racial narratives were included, go figure.)

Do they have bookstores in africa?

>tfw used to hate black people when I was in uni around libs constantly sucking PC dick and trying to force me to do the same
>now that I'm not around those faggots and actually get to interact with blacks on my own terms I'm starting to actually like them
>still scientifically racist but think they have inherent value even if they're not equal in terms of IQ or morals
Anyone else feel something similar?

You're black.

>I wonder if it's possible to write a good book with a strong black racial narrative.
Pimp by Iceberg Slim

no, it's more like as a neurotic white person I find that being around black people is good for my soul in short doses.

yes, except for the inherent value part.

Nah.

You havent met too many of us then, and what you're saying is as silly as criticizing a Japanese author for observing issues with Japanese culture.

I've seen worse. It's pretty much your university workshopped quasi-poetic deal. Pretty inoffensive.