ITT: authors who wasted their exceptional prose

ITT: authors who wasted their exceptional prose

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Updike

Burroughs, kinda. he has a real ear for prose throughout Naked Lunch but it gets lost in the chaos. however the form is as important as the content so he couldn't really do otherwise.

me

Basically anyone who had good prose. You can't have good prose and be a good thinker.

I don't come to this board often, are you guys just pretending to be dumb as shit? No one could actually be dumb enough to write and believe the OP, right?

He's right, though, Thompson was a middling author who could write well but chose to write about shit. Just read Kingdom of Fear and there are genuinely great passages, but all he writes about is how much of a speed freak he is and how he's really a teenage girl in an old man's body

Can you not comprehend style vs. substance?

style is substance.
form is content.
if you write well it literally doesn't matter what you say.

He wrote Tender is the Night though

Hubert Selby Jr. with all the gay shit.

Until politics, ideology, and meaning become involved.
Which is, you know, most of the time

He got so fucking burnt dude.

That's the best part though

this is so fucking shallow and you're pawning it off as if its some kind of monist wisdom, stupid nigger

I don't see what he could have done otherwise. He was no fiction writer.

your style is bad, your substance is bad. see what I mean?

Did you read Hell's Angels? I don't know how you could say that in hell's angels hes writing about shit. Probably everyone on this board says Fear and Loathing is bad since nearly everyone agree that its great, but I think it warrants more explanation than "the subject matter is shit."

I think you should reconsider your assessment that he wrote about shit, Thompson was a pretty sharp guy who had a good sense for people's motivations and values,I really don't agree he wrote about bullshit

Uh? Thompson isn't exactly a stylist. Do you object to his use of cuss words, little buddy?

wasted? he sold it to magazines and spent the money on drugs. what the fuck do you think he should have been doing with it? printing it out secretly, fapping over it and then throwing it away, like you?

you must have only read Fear And Loathing...

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, and The Rum Diaries are both fiction

>muh antilogocentrism

Richard Wright

You see people try to do this and most end up killing themselves.

Chesterton

Is English not your first language? He can form beautiful sentences. These beautiful sentences do not work to create a worthwhile narrative. It’s that simple folks.

>who is Nietzsche

Joyce
>until spooks get involved

>wrote Hells Angels, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, The Rum Diary
>created whole sub genre of his own
>influenced a whole generation
>sold millions of copies worldwide
>hailed as won of the best 20th century American authors

>wasted

Read fear and loathing on the campaign trail.

Sonny barger tore that book a new asshole, and I think terry the tramp kicked the shit out him so bad he hid in the trunk of his car.

The Angels insist he made up chunks of it because they'd told him to get gone or be gone, in so many words.

Sonny barger was a lying rapist piece of shit. the angels got mad at him because he exposed them as the hypocritical violence hungry assholes they were.

Wasted? He's an icon. He changed the face of journalism as we know it. Hell, what journalism today isn't Gonzo? Just because something isn't a fiction novel doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile writing.

What's Updike?

>HST
>bad
fantastic writer, extremely influential, completely changed the landscape of his field and most important of all, the man had a supernatural gift to be right. Even in situations where he acts as a complete cock and should be arrested on sight, he ends up being given reason by history. One of the worst parts of the century so far was not having him cover the last american elections, it would be fucking gold. I don't even rule out him launching his own candidacy.

Matt Taibbi certainly was influenced by HST.

the last three elections made me even more sad that he killed himself. imagine what his hatred would have been like for everything that has gone on in that last 8 years.

Not much dyke, what's up with you?