How often do you have literary discussions in real life?

How often do you have literary discussions in real life?

often. people in my program will see me reading a book and come chat to me.

never

Once in a blue moon

butterfly, will you marry me?

this but unironically

Very seldom. Only a few people I know read, and even then it's mostly detective and YA stuff. I've considered reading stuff they like just for the sake of conversation, but I know I'll just end up shitting on their tastes and I don't really want to do that.

It's never a discussion it's me talking at people

Kill yourself, fat slut

This is extremely annoying. For their sake please stop this habit immediately.

I know it's annoying, it's to drive them off

>to drive them off
Just stop showering then, thats what I do.

>stop showering

>implying I ever started

Every now and then my neighbour asks me if I'm reading anything new and recommends me stuff based on my impressions on the book.
He's s kind old man that owns quite a big collection

Never. Whenever my housemates enter my room (without being asked to), they see my books and call me pretentious. How am I pretentious if I never advertise my books? It's now ridiculous to own books that were published more than 70 years ago.

Hey its me your flatmate, come into the kitchen. We need to talk about your obsessive computer habits.

Same.
My friends say I have all my books to pick up/impress women
But no woman has ever seen my book collection

Fuck off, Ben. I thought you didn't go on Veeky Forums anymore.

Rarely, and when it it the case, I get passionate about it and that is boring it seems. Then we go back talking about Kim Kardashian or whatever.

People often talk about the books they read, but it's rarely more than
>This person on my [social media platform] said to read it, so I did. Don't know why though, it wasn't interesting and I didn't learn anything.

Not as much as I would like. Still once a week at my local pub with a small group of about 6-10 people.

You two made me laugh, thank you

Yeah pretty much this. People usually (just like on Veeky Forums) end up talking around the subjects and books, nothing very in-depth.

very rarely and they usually devolve into modern politics anyway

i often discuss lines from presocratic poems with my father, though that is about the extent of it

Most of my friends are intelligent, but they're engineers and don't care too much about books - it's only me and one other friend who are really into reading. He and I will usually discuss things when larger group convos settle down, and we'll often give one another recs. As for my other friends, I like to give them recommendations and once in a while, if they read what I tell them to, we talk about it. Still, over all, it's not that often that I get to have Veeky Forums discussions in real life.

this is my real life

And when was the last time you had a literary discussion on here? I can barely remember.

Pessoa vs Eliot

What program.

it happens every now and then.

i also have them with myself.

The only person I ever talk to in real life is my mom and she occasionally listens to me talk about whatever literature or philosophy I'm reading, so I guess sometimes, though her responses are mostly "isn't that nice dear" type of stuff.

Cute. What was the last thing you discussed?

Never, my friends have their own interests that they're passionate about and I enjoy hanging out with them
When I want to talk about books and complain about Peterson I come to lit

i wouldn’t want to discuss lit irl i think its pretentious and effeminate

Plato's Republic. She didn't find the philosophy part that interesting but we did have a spirited discussion about whether or not Socrates' statements were mostly recorded truthfully or fictionalized for Plato's purposes.

Sounds nice desu

Pretty much never

I always want to but too many brain dead college students don't actually go to learn, they just wanna play slapdick their whole way through

Almost forgot about this, when I was majoring in English and working on my thesis I would have Veeky Forums discussions every day during the week. It wasn't as great as it sounds, most of the other students were working on stuff like
>Disassembling the white male: Empowering Transgender Disabled People of Color in 1980s Puerto Rico via Emily Dickinson's Early Poems

What are their interests?

I just lay in bed at night before I sleep and talk to some imaginary person.
That's when I talk about all my ideas on life, impressions on books, conversations I've always wanted to have

Never because i have no frens
Even if I did have frens I wouldn't anyway because im a brainlet, inarticulate, and i stutter.
I really need to off myself.

You’re not the only one, at least.

self pity definitely isn't helping your cause then
you seem to be prying for excuses to not be social

Same bud. It's almost goes directly into my dreams and then I wake up rambling on in my head.

idk how to be social it feels like a foreign concept to me. all ive ever done is go to class then go home, i always feel really out of place.
all relationships ive ever had have always been work related.

This is me, except I pace around my room talking to myself instead of doing it in bed.

I like to do it in bed because I often cuddle up with a pillow and imagine it's the person I'm talking to

You're being social right now.

I don't see the point in having deep conversations about books tbqh. Either you read it or you don't, and if you do, then that's fine.

I do this too. The imaginary person is actually just my mental image of my best friend who has become something of my inner conscious. Sometimes I try to continue a conversation with him in real life that I'd had with him in my head before I realize that no, I'm just kind of crazy.

never. at most I will mention, in short terms, my taste in books, but never discuss specific books. I've yet to meet somone whose literary opinions interest me, and I feel no need to expose myself as the dilettante I am.

If we include philosophical discussions, pretty much every day.