/mlg/ - mystical literature general

I notice a lot of anons here are of a spiritual bent and enjoy the works of traditionalists and perennialists. Let us gather and consecrate a sacred space amongst cyberspace.

Suggested readings:
>The Epic of Gilgamesh
>The Pyramid Texts
>The Coffin Texts
>The Vedas
>Upanishads
>Baghavas Gita
>Plato
>Aristotle
>Philo
>Origien
>Bible
>Tripitaka
>Yoga Sutras
>Marcus Aurelius
>Epictetus
>Seneca
>Plotinus
>Poryphry
>Proclus
>Iamblichus
>Chaldean Oracles
>Uzdavinys
>Thomas Taylor
>Gregory Shaw
>Culianu
>Eliade
>Evola
>Jung
>Guenon
>Nag Hammadi
>Dead Sea Scrolls
>Midrash
>Sefer Yetzirah
>Bahir
>Zohar
>Etz Chayim
>Rumi
>Shah
>Osho
>Rubaiyat
>A Conference of Birds
>Eckhart

What book would make a good introduction to eastern mysticism? I'm particularly interested in Buddhism. I'd also like to avoid western hippie shit.

select your top 5 from that list.

cite and explain a passage from one of these books for me

>Eckhart
You should specify that you mean Meister Eckhart rather than Eckhart Tolle, in case the plebs on this board get confused.

t. pleb that is confused

>Gilgamesh
>mystical

What the fuck

Start with the Tripitaka. Move onto Mahayana. Maybe detour to Daoism.
Top 5:
>Dao De Jing (forgot to add to list)
>Zhuangzi (forgot to add to list)
>Vigyan Bhairava Tantra (Osho's Book of Secrets forms an excellent commentary)
>Parmenides - Plato
>On Nature - Parmenides
>"The psuche, says Plato, discourses with itself about *being*; it discusses *being*, otherness, sameness, motion, rest, and the like thoroughly with itself; that is, it already of its own self understands *being*, actuality, and the like. The logos psuches is the horizon to which every procedure that attempts to elucidate *being* and actuality and the like betakes itself. All philosophy, in whatever way it may view the "subject" and place it in the center of philosophical investigation returns to the soul, mind, consciousness, subject, ego in clarifying the basic ontological phenomena. Neither ancient nor medieval ontology is, as the customary ignorance of them takes them to be, a purely objective ontology excluding consciousness; rather, what is peculiar to them is precisely that consciousness and the ego are taken to be in the same way as the objective is taken to be. Evidence for this is provided by the fact that ancient philosophy orients its ontology to the logos and it could be said with a certain propriety that ancient ontology is a logic of *being*. This is correct to the extent that the logos is the phenomenon that is supposed to clarify what *being* means. However, the "logic" of being does not mean the ontological problems were reduced to logical problems in the sense of academic logic. Reversion to the ego, to the soul, to consciousness, to mind, and to the Dasein is necessary for specific and inherently pertinent reasons."

>Martin Heidegger, The Basic Problems of Phenomenology, translation, introduction, and Lexicon by Albert Hofstadter, revised edition, p. 73

Self explanatory.
:^)
It's hella Biblical, bro.

>No Qu'ran

Are you emotionally stable? When was the last time you thought of killing yourself or simply stop living?

Unironically Neitzches should be up there

bump

Master race checking in. Don't bother with any of the trash recommended previously. Pic related is all you need for true enlightenment.

Sorry. Forgot a lot as mentioned peripherally here: I am secure and stable. I have had suicidal ideation in the past but am currently working and have a girlfriend and am enjoying life to the fullest.
True that. Thus Spake is an especially mystical work.
Thanks, brother (or sister).
Lol. I love that little book. I like to dabble in chaos as well as order.

>"Then as for those who gaze upon many beautiful things but don't see the beautiful itself, and aren't even capable of following someone else who leads them to it, and upon many just things but not the just itself, and all the things like that, we'll claim that they accept the seeming of everything but discern nothing of what they have opinions about."
>The Republic

This quote refers to people reading this thread and not responding.

Guenon - intro to the hindu doctrines

It's doubles as an intro to eastern thought generally

There enough mushrooms to give you a buzz if you're lucky

Ones that are also good but not on OP's list

Buddhist: the Milinda Pañha, the heart sutra, diamond sutra, lotus sutra, the works of Nagarjuna

Hindu: Adi Shankara's works and commentaries as well as his non-commentary works, the Bhagavata Purana, The Yoga Vasistha, Ashtavakra Gita, the Shiva Sutras, Pratyabhijnahrdayam, Vijnanabhairava

Zoroastrian: The Avesta

Nice dubs. We should make a chart or something. Lemme get on my photoshop. Feel free to recommend more.

Where do I start if I am a spiritual pleb that knows nothing of those things?

Here. Have a shitty chart.

see

This is a decent start. Altho, like still a shitty chart. Someone with more knowledge than I should make an eastern version.

I'm schizo so I can travel without moving with under a gram :^)

Books i have read about topic:
Dhammapada
Bhagavad Gita
Rumi
Benedictus de Spinza Ethics
Aldous Huxley perennial philosophy
The Ego Tunel Thomas Metzinger

Books/authors i have planned to get into:
Eckhart
Soren kierkegaard
Immanuel Kant
Neoplatonism
Ridveda

I have been into Buddism and meditation for 2 years now and i would like widen my knowledge about other practises and mystic/spiritual traditions. I haven't read much but i would be glad if get some reccommendations and opinions about the books on my list.

which of these will teach me magic I only want the magic

>im too stupid to discourse with the works i read because im a pseud so ill just associate myself with them
>im a faggot who is easily threatened and I don’t understand what i read so i comment on it like a tv trailer or a quip from one of my bug pals at the office

you both should be ashamed, i knew no one here understood a fucking word of what they read. neo-spirituality is so pathetic and gay

yeah this isn’t self explanatory at all and it seems like Heidegger is posturing a lot here about Logos vs Consciousness and Ontology being rooted in consciousness

I don’t know that i’m convinced of his “arguments” please explain what is being said here in your mind, thanks user. if you can’t just admit you don’t understand what you read or haven’t developed a thorough grasp on it.
this is anything but simple and seems to have more to do with Plato whining than any kind of wisdom. Explain what it is im looking at for me as I demanded in the initial response. If you fail to do so I will have to assume no one on this board is a competent scholar or intellectual. all it would take is 3-4 well formulated sentences to allay my concerns

>Dhammapada
Great stuff. Read it in the psych ward. Lol.
>Bhagavad Gita
Read this one in a class on yogic philosophy.
>Rumi
Read this back in high school.
>Ethics
Read this many christmases ago after enjoying Descartes freshman year.
>Perennial Philosophy
The book that first got me into philosophy in high school...
>Ego Tunnel
Never read it.
>Eckhart
Read his Penguin edition. Good stuff. Interested in the Spiritual Classics edition.
>Kierkegaard
Kierky is senpai.
>Kant
Good luck. Are you in uni?
>Neoplatonism
See chart: for some important recs.
>Rig Veda
Never read it unfortunately...
See: Also: Jung, Eliade, Evola, Culianu

Lol. Both are me. The first quote is about hermeneutics, existentialism, and phenomenology in ancient metaphysics. The latter is just a snarky quip to troll people into bumping the thread.

Is Either/or good start with Kierkegaard?
I'm not in uni and i borrowed Kants Prolegomena last week. Am i doomed?

>Is Either/or good start with Kierkegaard?
Yes.
>I'm not in uni and i borrowed Kants Prolegomena last week. Am i doomed?
No. But don't be afraid to reach out for secondary sources if you get stuck on the critiques.

Bump

how about The Way of the Pilgrim?

I wonder what would happen if you took 5 grams then

probably trigger his schizo into full blown paranoia

Nice dubs. I am Christian so very yes.
I plan on smoking dmt soon :^)

bump

I'm surprised at how shitty this thread isn't.

Read Umberto Eco: First Baudolino and then Foucault's Pendulum.

Focaults pendulum also known as buttmad italian sperg writes a book about how jealous at evola he is

Patrizio of the Patrician family from Patrice checking in.

For esoteric knowledge you need Plato first and foremost.
Then Plutarch's philosophical writings (Isis and Osiris and Delphic Dialogues are essential).
Then Plotinus.

Then, and only then, you may notice flickerings in the fabric of reality.

Jealous? You really think that's the right word?

Be careful with this one, guys. My sister read it and now she spends every day in her room, crying and sitting around doing nothing and saying the Jesus prayer over and over.

Get her to a nunnery.

Bomp

Would also like to recommend:

>Meditations on the Tarot by Anonymous
>Lectures on Divine Humanity by Vladimir Solovyov
>The Submerged Reality by Michael Martin

These are three of my favorite philosophical works but both touch on the mystic experience. During my manic episodes, I have had visions of the divine feminine as well. I try to honor that aspect of creation, the female, despite my catholic traditionalism.

I was just being an ass too :^)