February 2nd

Sup guys
Im about to start reading Ulysses right now for the first time since its James Joyce's birthday
Wish me luck
>do I like it
>what am I in for

>sunglasses
>plus eyepatch
joyce.... leave some pussy for the rest of us

Loo I thought the same thing
Heres a shot of the first page
Getting the feeling this shit is going to be epic
>yes I did read all the introductory letters and notes from the court case
>yes I am attempting not to go about this like a pseud

It's good, but a tough read for your first Joyce book. I would have started with Dubliners or Portrait

Haha unironically most badass looking writer ever

Yea I have heard that, but I like to generally read an author's most notorious work first, and then work down from there
Sort of get a "best of" experience, if you will, and then keep on digging if I enjoyed it thoroughly
>shot of the sleeve
>a REALLY nice book

I find a lot of classics not worth the hype, but Ulysses lives up to every bit of it. Readers of the internet age are probably better equipped to understand it than people of Joyce's own time were.

You realized he did it for the show of it, and was into theatrics?

>i like to read the most involved and difficult work first
admirable, noble attitude user, but Finnegan's Wake is his most notorious, difficult and impenetrable work. Regardless good luck and please continue challenging yourself and seeking out complexity, subtlety and stratifying your knowledge base you have no idea how many people come on here and I want to burn them to death with flame throwers, this is a rare compliment

My first copy of Ulysses was the Modern Library edition as well. The second time I read through it was with the old Vintage edition (not the new one with the sharpie lettering). I think I read through half of the Dubliners stories before diving into the breach. I got pretty deep into the Bloom section before pulling out and reading the rest of Dubliners (a lot of the characters from the stories make cameos in the novel) and A Portrait (really fucking weird way to get acquainted with Stephen btw).
The first section is pretty fun if you both enjoy high-minded lofty literary pursuits and watching hyper-educated man-children deal with the real world--but, even if you don't its still pretty short. The first hundred pages of the Bloom section are prime comfy (provided you don't get unironically triggered by the very concept of cucking).
I think it took me about 8 months to read Ulysses from cover to cover the first time around, given the irregular path I took. Still, I consider it one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read, right up there with Moby Dick and Don Quixote. There's a point where your mind becomes accustomed to the rhythm of the work, where suddenly it's all music and you can almost anticipate the notes, it's a beautiful thing.

Well in that case I thank you, and Finnegan's Wake is where I will head after Ulysses delivers satisfaction
Alright im feeling stoked and primed, actually to start the book now
See you gentlemen in a bit

I think you have complimented me before... not that user..

But why do you want to light some people On fire?

I admire literature and the greats, and i admire your tenasity about them to.

Tell me more, please I want your recommeneded list

Ulysses excels as a realist novel, as a surrealist novel, and as a modernist experimental novel. It has some of the most fully realized and memorable characters in all of English literature. It contains a lifetime's worth of jokes and enigmas. It is both supremely brutal and supremely life affirming, a catalogue of humdrum minutiae and a cosmic meditation.
One would feel safe to die with Ulysses by their side.

I've been surprised how much Ulysses has lived up to the hype for me, how much joy that I never thought I would see again it has brought back to me. Make of that what you will. Not everyone has such a dramatic response.

Im buying into your meme because that was a really cute way to say it. Cheers user :3

Still cool

he was 90% blind you dipshit

>yes I am attempting not to go about this like a pseud
tell me you've at least read The Odyssey, Inferno, and Hamlet

>>do I like it
Maybe not the first time around. Some passages are a real test of comprehension (and endurance.) But when you read it again in five years' time, it will all come together and you'll love it.

The best advice I can give is never to skim over or give up on any of the more difficult sections. This is the way to get hopelessly lost. Go back and read them again until you get some meaning out of them. You'll face an early challenge with Stephen's walk on the beach. Just remember he's a pretentious little prick, whose thoughts are deliberately obscure and impenetrable.

Lastly, FFS don't try Finnegans Wake until you have half a lifetime's reading under your belt. It's the most widely-allusive book you'll ever read. Ulysses is already difficult enough in this respect.

S T A T E L Y P L U M P

i would still endorse starting with portrait, ulysses is its direct sequel

>he was 90% blind
>guy who wrote about Ulysses thousands of years ago was blind
>guy who wrote Ulysses more recentlt is also blind
really makes a nibba think

quack

if you are blind thoughts of Odysseus will come to you, because much like the cyclops he has blinded you but you thought it was nobody and was just a medical thing or some gay shit

Sirens chapter best chapter