/erg/: e-readers general

Sup faggots. /g/ here, what do you think about ereaders like the Kindle, Nook, or other chink readers? Are you complete luddites and eschew e-ink screens entirely? Does anyone actually prefer their ereader?

Me personally, I had a kindle until I accidentally ran over my backpack with my kindle (+ laptop ;_; ) in it. Truthfully though, I never used it as much as I wanted to - I don't read as much in general anymore, but I did notice when I receive paper books as gifts, I do tend to read them a lot more frequently and fully. Not sure if I should sink $30 into a used replacement one or just forget about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

overland.org.au/2017/12/the-worlds-bloodiest-campfire-story-reading-the-war-nerd-iliad/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Im pretty happy with my kindle (I think its gen 6), the only thing that sucks its trying to read PDF or conversions of PDF with it.
That and books formatted to have every paragraph spaced, fuck that shit.

Lately Ive been using myanonamouse and IRC to download books, dunno whats a good resource for books in spanish, sites like megaepub and ebiblioteca are fine for the most part but Ive been trying to find a good version of the Iliad in verse and all I get its prose or badly formatted verse
There are a couple of decent ones but those are on PDF, which is unfortunate

I read ebooks on my phone because I'm a lazy cunt

I have 3 years one, love it.
I bough a refurished. lol

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab E that I got for free with FBReader and Twilight. Interested in the possibility of getting a Kobo refurb, but don't really see any real reason why I ought to spend the money.

i would never try to read a pdf on a kindle unless it was some kind of bizarre emergency

the great John Dolan just knocked out an Iliad translation in prose. If you're dense enough to believe hexamater is essential to the story, I dunno what to tell you.
overland.org.au/2017/12/the-worlds-bloodiest-campfire-story-reading-the-war-nerd-iliad/

Also, try b-ok.org

I had a like $80 paperwhite which was fine till it broke. I now read on my phone with the Google Books app which is good except inexplicably doesn't allow mobile uploading, so I use Lithium if I'm not near a computer and just downloaded something.

That what I do I already had a tablet so didnt reallu feel the need. What app is best for ebooks on android tablets? I use moonreader but the ads are kinda annoying

OP here, like said occasionally on my phone, I actually like the kindle app.

But even lately I haven't been able to bring myself to even use my phone to read. I even have a bunch of books on it but I tend to still read WAY more blogs, internet articles, google for specific information.....haven't really gotten into the long-form reading in a while. Maybe it's because it's all nonfiction and I literally just use google for anything I need to know anyway.

The Kindle app iirc correctly doesn't accept pirated books. It kinda depends on whether you buy most of your books or pay for them.

With regards to android apps:
> I now read on my phone with the Google Books app which is good except inexplicably doesn't allow mobile uploading, so I use Lithium if I'm not near a computer and just downloaded something.

FBReader

Yeah im and I pirate most my shit so thats not really a good reader app for me

use Lithium. If you download it to your phone, you can open it.

Also I've found that the Google Books app has a hard time with pirated books even in the desktop version. If Google Books won't open it, try again with Lithium or whatever shit you're using to read on a computer.

Uh, yeah it does. Lol when I had my kindle I had 0 bought books, all pirated epubs that I converted to .mobi with Calibri and sent to my kindle email. When my kindle was kill and I switched to phone reading, my entire library was readable just the same

Oh neat! Thanks for setting me straight.

same

Gonna take the plunge, which e-reader is the best for pdfs and epubs?

literally no chink ereaders exist

Kobo + koreader

Bump

I'm considering buying a Kindle. I often run across books I want that are out of print and expensive to buy, but that have cheap Kindle versions available. I don't pirate anything, of course; but even if I did, I've tried reading things on my computer screen before and it was just awful, so I'd need some type of e-reader regardless.

I have good ol' Pocketbook Basic II, but I want something better with probably biggur screen, so I can masturbate while reading my mangas and nice reaction time. I don't plan to read pdfs - only mobi/epub etc. Also, some sensible system of exporting quotes would be nice.

Just got the reading craze again and got me a Kobo so i can read.some of that shit il.not buying but still interested in.

I have one of those first-generation Kindles with the physical keyboard, before they added Wi-Fi and 4G and all that shit. It's a nice thing to have when I go on vacation and don't feel like carting 2,000 pages of paperbacks and hardcovers with me.

I've been in the market for a new one, but they're all turning into tablets that happen to have e-reading capabilities rather than a spartan, minimalist e-reader. Anybody know of one of those?

>Anybody know of one of those?
Yeah the newest basic kindle model, basically the same as the first one. Go on amazon.

Every single one of them has Wi-Fi. Oh well, I suppose I can always just keep it turned off.

Kobo Aura (with SD) + Koreader /masterrace/.

are there still any sub 5 inch screen ereaders out there?

is e-ink really as good as people say or can I do without it?

it is. dont fall for the AMOLED or Retina jew.

Some weird german branded ones, i have seen them in ebay

It's really excellent. Even with older readers that have low resolutions it's much better to read on than backlit screens.

what's the best, most up date to reader with e-ink?

I'm a fan of Kobos. The typesetting is really good, it comes with good default fonts, the interface is nice, etc.
Kindles are second best but you can't read epubs without converting them or installing Koreader.
All the Nooks I've ever had are trash that you have to fiddle with even to sideload books. It comes of running Android.

Give me a moment and I'll post a comparison picture.

Here we go. Notice the overly blue tint of the Nook's backlight and how the Kobo is the only one that can do notes in the margin properly.