"Veeky Forumscore"

Why doesn't Veeky Forums have a universal, multi-pronged essentials chart with hundreds of entries like /mu/? It's not like we have a shortage of material or something.

Would such a chart be detrimental to this board's quality of discussion?

Because reading a book usually takes much longer than listening to an album

This

Pic related is to Veeky Forums what /mu/core is to /mu/: the stuff that everyone knows and discusses and memes about combined with a few inexplicable additions.
>hundreds of entries
Like anyone here has read a hundred books.

True, but isn't that a bit of a non-sequitur? You can read hundreds of book in your lifetime, as many books as there are /mu/core albums, if you gave a shit.

>Oscar Wilde and Haruki Murakami
>Demigod tier
You've got to be shitting me.

besides joyce not being together with ayn rand its not that bad chart

This chart is bad and you know it. I wouldn't mind a Veeky Forumscore chart covered with authors, poets, and philosophers rather than their books. However, it shouldn't be so subjectively ranked. It should focus on giving a broad, but intellectually thorough, overview of essential world literature so that neophytes can eventually branch out on their own.

Is there, by chance, any huge, textbook style books with lots of pictures which accomplish the same thing?

It's a genuinely decent chart, excluding Wallace and Murakami it's all canonical authors anyway. It's basically the bits of the canon you'd expect the desperate socially dysfunctional youth that inhabits Veeky Forums to have a special attachment to. Shouldn't surprise anyone who browses the board regularly.
You must be very naive if you think /mu/core is supposed to be a basic introduction to music. It's supposed to be a basic introduction to /mu/. There are other charts in the wiki that have a wider scope if that's really what you want.

Perhaps the chart was created with the purpose of being a "basic introduction to /mu/," but taken as a whole, the chart serves as a hearty, eclectic, overview of generally acclaimed albums released since 1950

bump

>overview of generally acclaimed albums released since 1950
i must be living under a rock, since i've never heard of any of these

I feel the same way about much of literature

The whole notion of a body of art distilled into a checklist sets my teeth on edge.

>Here, read these masterworks to check them off your list and become one step closer to being "well-read"

>captain beefheart
music pseuds.

>referring to joyce as 'gaia' tier when there were in fact other primordial dieties, therefore creating inaccuracy in terminology when compared with the generalized categories in which other writers were placed
>not putting homer as chaos tier

looks like someone didn't start with the greeks

Finnegan's Wake

It's Finnegans Wake, ffs. NO APOSTROPHE.

no its a horrible chart from someone who doesn’t read much and has poor taste, is a lesser intellect

Still

I'll give Joyce this: at least he knew how to write and had already written 3 masterpieces before writing an absurdist head-scratcher. Captain Beefheart composed TMR in like three days on an instrument he didn't even know how to play.

ok. ok. wow. just. ok. this reading list is pathetic. here are the only fiction authors worth reading, ranked by priority, and I would go as far as saying that the rest of fiction as a whole is a waste of time, and you're better off reading poetry or watching TV instead of reading authors who are not in this list.

SUPREME MASTER GOD TIER: THE MASTER OF ALL IN THE KINGDOM OF GREAT WRITERS IN HUMAN HISTORY, AT THE TOP OF THE HIGHEST TOWER, MASTURBATING 10-15 TIMES PER DAY, AS THE HAND WITH WHICH HE WRITES ARTISTIC MASTERPIECES IS MORE SEXUALLY APPEALING THAN ANY ADONIS THE GODS CAN CONJURE
>Proust

VICE-SUPREME MASTER GOD TIER: THE ONLY WRITER DESERVING TO BE IN SAME ROOM AS THE SUPREME MASTER GOD
>Joyce

GOD TIER: OCCUPYING THE MARBLE CASTLE WITH THE SUPREME AND VICE SUPREME MASTER GOD
>Tolstoy
>Homer
>Dante
>Dostoevsky
>Shakespeare

ANGELIC DEMON TIER: PATROLLING THE CASTLE WALLS OF THE GOD TIERS AND ABOVE, AND DOING THEIR BIDDING ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, CAPTURING AND PILLAGING ENTIRE PLANETS TO TO INTO PLANET-SIZED "THE MATRIX"-TYPE BODY HARVESTING FARMS, BUT THEY HARVEST HUMAN FARTS INSTEAD OF ELECTRICITY, PACKED IN DIAMOND JARS, FOR THE FART-LOVING PROUST AND JOYCE TO HOLD UP TO THEIR NOSES AND SHIFT THEIR NOSES LEFT AND RIGHT ALONG THE RIM OF THE JAR LIKE SNIFFING A FINE WINE, THEN TAKING A HUMONGOUS INHALE AND ACHIEVING UNFATHOMABLE ORGASM, "AH, A 2017 RUSSIAN LUMBERJACK FART, GOOD YEAR" THEY SAY, NODDING THEIR HEADS AT THE ANGELIC DEMONS WHO DO THEIR BIDDING, THE ANGELIC DEMONS' HEARTS FILLED WITH JOY AT THE HONOR OF SERVING THEIR MASTERS
>Goethe
>Kafka
>Chekhov
>Morrissey
>Nabakov
>Melville
>Chaucer
>Cervantes
>Ambrose motherfucking Bierce!

HONORABLE DRAGON WORK CREATURE TIER: THESE WRITERS' SOULS HAVE POSSESSED THE BODIES OF DRAGONS WITH LIME GREEN FUR AND FLORESCENT TIGER STRIPES WHO BREATHE GAMMA RAY BURSTS AND CIRCLE THE SUPREME MASTER GOD'S KINGDOM BY THE MILLIONS, AND OPERATE AS A HIVE MIND, AND HAVE BEEN GENETICALLY MODIFIED WITH TARDIGRADE DNA TO SURVIVE IN SPACE AND EVEN BLACK HOLES, TO HONOR WORKS THAT I ENJOYED PERSONALLY BUT THAT MAY NOT BE AS JUSTIFIED ON AN ARTISTIC LEVEL BY CONSENSUS
>Hesse
>Pynchon
>Hemingway
>Foster Wallace
>Woolf
>Flaubert
>George Eliot
>Balzac
>Borges

>Joyce above Shakespeare

Unironically kill yourself

Here you go

Idk, but this is a decent list, although it's missing a classical section.

Is it just all about poetic epics and major philosophic works or does foray into modern and postmodern fiction?

Morrissey, the singer?

Canon doesn't exist. kys

Honestly pretty decent tier list desu

>non-sequitur
I don't think you know what that word means. Nobody who has read a lifetime's worth of books is going to waste their time making infographs.

good collection of authors, though I hate the supercilious tone of "western canon" supporters.

yes, but i think you mean Morrissey, the artist.

How come Kafka is below Camus? He is clearly a Kafka fanboy

Why is this such a popular category?

DELET THIS NOW YOU FUCKING FOOL CAMUS?! NO HOMER NO DANTE NO TOLSTOY NO PROUST THIS MAKES ME VERY ANGRY YOU FUCK FUCK FUCK YOU

Yo respect Camus, man

Captain Beefheart was the one rock genius.

>Proust
>no Nerval
>Goethe below Dante
And I bet you put a lot of effort into being this pseud.

What's being "feud"?

>>Goethe below Dante
If you contest this there is no hope for you

I'm contesting it on the basis of Nerval's translation being praised by Goethe himself as better than the original Faust, and Proust's choice of god tier being more reliable than the user who chose Proust as god tier without knowing his influences or style.
If you want to argue for Proust being better in English, as many do, the debt to Nerval and Goethe solidifies further.

>What's being "feud"[sic]?
It's misquoting.

Lets make a better one of these

Tts kind of sad I have listened to every album on that list.

where's war and peace?

It would be more sad if you enjoyed every one

Newfriends :)

Classic pasta