Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Optimistic Nihilism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

No.

>Optimistic nihilism
Self contradictory desu

oxymoron

I mean, it's pop philosophy from a pop-sci YouTube channel. It might not go as in-depth as some may like, but if it resonates with you then sure, why not? There's no one objective "The Answer" anyway, so just take from it what you like.

this is the end game of optimistic nihilism

How so?

are cows the last men?

Optimistic nihilism is like the shitted up Reddity version of "dude, life is suffering, make it worthwhile and add your own meaning" JBP tier stuff minus the spirituality.

Optimism implies that there is something that one considers as "good"

Didnt you get the memo? The nihilists are the good guys.

Wow, i just watched this video. I was completely caught off guard by the way it resonated with me. This is one of those videos that are so profound that I can't keep them to myself, I'm going to share this with all my friend s on facebook thanks for posting.

letter on humanism

the existentialists were wrong

Nihilism doesn't mean individuals can't make value judgements.

But it does mean that value judgements are meaningless. Why would you make value judgements the ?

>the ?
then?*

you go girl, you do you yasss

But "optimistic nihilism" implies that there is something "good" indipendently from the individual.

positive experience is inherently good even if it is ultimately meaningless. Therefore things that further that end are good

That's not nihilism, that's just dumb hedonism.

Which really is what "optimistic nihilism" means in the video. It's basically utilitarian hedonism sprinkled with "why can't we all just get along?".

There's no reason not to pursue negative expreiences as well. They can be thrilling. Positive experiences can very dull. I believe it was Andre Breton who said that the ultimate surrealist act would be to go into the street and shoot passersby at random. In any case, as a nihilist one can never validate the word "should". So even if something is "good", by definition or otherwise, as a nihilist one cam never make the leap of stating that therefore it SHOULD be done.

Wrong, you're conflating pleasure with positive experience which includes pleasure but also includes contentment, success, purpose, self-actualization, etc.

What video?

That's still hedonism (not the "lol just get drunk and fuck" kind, the Greek kind)

IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING JOJO REFERENCE

idk what "jojo" is, im saying positive nihilists are cows in the field or as this user said
"last men"

Christianity is optimistic nihilism, remember the Ecclesiastes?

"there is nothing new under the sun"

The fact that everything is meaningless is taking in a positive manner as a form of freedom. Do whatever you want because everything is meaningless in the end. If your life is filled with happiness then good for you and if it's filled with sadness then don't worry because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

>There's no reason not to pursue negative expreiences as well. They can be thrilling.
If you enjoy thrilling then it is positive, just like pain can be positive to a masochist.

Anything worth pursuing is per definition positive.

>nihilism for normies who don't want to think too much

Again, that's not fucking nihilism. Are you literally a teenager.

Negative value judgments are equally flawed.

Wisdom of Solomon/Book of Wisdom is even worse:
“Short and sorrowful is our life,
and there is no remedy when a man comes to his end,
and no one has been known to return from Hades.
Because we were born by mere chance,
and hereafter we shall be as though we had never been;
because the breath in our nostrils is smoke,
and reason is a spark kindled by the beating of our hearts.
When it is extinguished, the body will turn to ashes,
and the spirit will dissolve like empty air.
Our name will be forgotten in time
and no one will remember our works;
our life will pass away like the traces of a cloud,
and be scattered like mist
that is chased by the rays of the sun
and overcome by its heat.
For our allotted time is the passing of a shadow,
and there is no return from our death,
because it is sealed up and no one turns back."

Yes.

Come, therefore, let us enjoy the good things that exist,
and make use of the creation to the full as in youth.
Let us take our fill of costly wine and perfumes,
let no flower of spring pass by us.
Let us crown ourselves with rosebuds before they wither.
Let none of us fail to share in our revelry,
everywhere let us leave signs of enjoyment,
because this is our portion, and this our lot.
Let us oppress the righteous poor man;
let us not spare the widow
nor regard the gray hairs of the aged.
But let our might be our law of right,
for what is weak proves itself to be useless.

Let us lie in wait for the righteous man,
because he is inconvenient to us and opposes our actions;
he reproaches us for sins against the law,
and accuses us of sins against our training.
He professes to have knowledge of God,
and calls himself a child of the Lord.
He became to us a reproof of our thoughts; 15 the very sight of him is a burden to us,
because his manner of life is unlike that of others,
and his ways are strange.
We are considered by him as something base,
and he avoids our ways as unclean;
he calls the last end of the righteous happy,
and boasts that God is his father.
Let us see if his words are true,
and let us test what will happen at the end of his life;
for if the righteous man is God’s son, he will help him,
and will deliver him from the hand of his adversaries.
Let us test him with insult and torture,
that we may find out how gentle he is,
and make trial of his forbearance.
Let us condemn him to a shameful death,
for, according to what he says, he will be protected.

>Could the answer be this simple?
Answer to which question?

Veritasium or however he's called also made a similar video. It's so cringy that it makes me want to hit my head against the wall.

"positive experience" "good"
So if a guy has a positive experience raping a child he should go right ahead and carry on ? And then then once he gets caught he should be killed under a massive amount of pain in the public square because it will be a positive experience for those who watch because they hate the guy ? And what about the guy that organized this flashy execution and got rich because of it because he monetized the event ? he must be pretty satisfied of his work too.
If the only thing that matters is the individual's positive experience without taking into account other people into your morality that's going to be one mess and a half.
And if you are talking about the "collective good" then i am eagerly waiting for what are the "things that further that end" will be because that's basically what groups do since the dawn of time, war included.
So the positive experience=good thing requires a lot of work i think. What exactly is a positive experience ? It is really always "good" ? what is "good" ? Does a little bit of dopamine in your brain justify the fact that you have been pulled out of non-existance for no reason ?

how is it not nihilism? you seem to have a caricatural idea of it where nihilists can't have opinions, preferences, drives and desires.

What does good even mean to you if you reject the meaningfulness of good.

>nihilism is anti-language

where are you kids getting this?

Just watch Neil de Grasse tyson videos and post on Reddit until the end of fucking time

Shit like this is produced by bourgeois think tanks to make the middle class complacent while the rich steals all their fucking money and uses literal slaves in the third world to make their trendy glitter iPhone cases.

Go sit in a park with your sweetie! (DON'T HAVE ONE, ALL SOCIAL RELATIONS HAVE DEGENERATED TO ORGYPORGY PROLEFEED NIGHTMARE)

Take Facebook tweet selfies of your stupid bullshit! (ENDLESSLY FOCUS ON DAY-TO-DAY PETTY SOCIALIZING AND LASCHIAN NARCISSISTIC GRANDSTANDING ON SOCIAL MEDIA, ALL HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO LITERALLY PREHISTORICAL LEVELS OF HYPERGAMY IN A WHIRLING GYRE OF MEANINGLESS TINDER FACEFUCKING FOR THE SELECT FEW AND ELLIOT RODGER RESENTMENT FOR THE REST)

Consume trendy garbage and eat cool food :P!!!! (LITERALLY CHINESE NIGGER SLAVES MADE YOUR STUPID BULLSHIT "THINKGEEK.COM" BAUBLES AND DESIGNER STRETCHPANTS, IN ENDLESS WASTELANDS THAT RESEMBLE THE FACTORIES OF INDUSTRIAL ENGLAND MARX WROTE ABOUT IN COMPLETE HORROR)

These people are trying to thought control you into passively reclining and injecting low-effort Mythbusters reddit filth into your brain and ignoring the dull ache of meaninglessness and consumerist overstimulation from inhaling high fructose corn syrup and salt all fucking day

"Optimistic nihilism" is what rich faggots pay slightly less rich faggots to convince lumpenproles to think they're experiencing when they work in a cubicle for 45 years to finance a lifestyle of watching proles modify Nerf guns and design "man caves". Turn off the Youtube and develop some tastes and moral preferences taht an algorithm designed by Amazon can't predict and use to predict your entire life befoer you've evn lived it you peice of fucking shit

>muh progress
Holy fuck modernists need to go fucking die already.

You've never read Ecclesiastes. Good job, you fucking moron.

Nihilism - there is no bad or good
Optimistic nihilism - there is good

This is the last time I repeat this.

>Optimistic transcendence

Fixed that for you.

How out of context can you get? It's quoted as an example of what not to do and refuted

I was waiting for someone to post this pasta.

Being this wrong

>I get all my life lessons from Youtube and Netflix

You're wrong, the optimism merely lies in the reaction to existential nihilism.

Maybe pic related will help you.

BTFO, everyone copy this pasta for the next optimistic nihilism thread.

NO
this

But the reaction isn't nihilism. That's like saying a self-determined sense of value after a return to a fundamental belief that nothing has value IS nihilism. You're leaving nihilism and headed in some other direction, imo. Nihilism was a pit-stop on the way to wherever it is you're going.

sad that this is pasta but just note that Amazon keeps track of all of your purchases and the pages you look at and shares them with other sites. I got ads on pinterest and news sites for books and services I was just looking at in passing on their site. You're not safe from algos and you can absolutely be marketed to, your niche interests can be catered to. You have to sit inside a library with hard copies of books with a paper library card, with a car w/no loan, and avoid all institutes that share info if you don't want to get meme'd on and then you must avoid becoming a fop pseud cunt who can't engage with the world when you do begin to develop a sense of self. your best bet is to cut ties with politics, economics, religion and social networks completely and try with all your will to develop an image of the world that's representative of you and your soul. There's nothing less that will work. You can't just tune out you have to cut it all off at once with a vicious abandon for your own financial and social status. No don't go full Ted, no don't fucking say "so go full Ted", stop thinking in memes like a subhuman. This is pasta, its already a joke to people on here, think about how quickly things are subsumed by the machine

You can be a nihilist and have a favourite flavour of icecream and enjoy your existence without somehow violating your nihilist position.

Nihilism doesn't imply that people can't have opinions.

Appropriate the memes, situationalize, don't feel threatened by the sclerosis of memes

Read Mircea Eliade on yogic techniques, the trick to overcoming the contingency of historical becoming is to seek the permanence of the Self behind and before it

One who sees Atman can dwell in maya and play with maya for what it is, illusion

>eberyding is going do go well tho I don't really gare :DDDDDD

lmgtfy.com/?q=Optimistic Nihilism

>allowing tracking

Yes, it's pasta, but user is right. What do you suggest we do if we can't escape by divorcing ourselves from civilization? The only ways I can think of are joining an Amish community, or a secluded Buddhist monastery in China, India or Tibet.

Literally Redd1t: the "philosophy"

Also, every single thread on nihilism will invariably devolve into 300 or so posts of people trying to define nihilism

There is literally nothing wrong with any of that stuff. There is nothing wrong with our lives being intertwined with this machine. This is what makes life worth living.

Nihilists are cancer
It doesn't matter whether you're optimistic or not. Nihilism isn't the answer to anything, it's the ultimate problem.

No fucking shit, of course a nihilist has his preferences, he's a person like everyone else. But "optimistic nihilism" isn't a person, it's a philosophy, and thus the value judgment are contained in the DOCTRINE AND NOT THE PERSON.
ITS VALUE JUDGMENT ARE NOT PERSONAL. IT SAY THAT THERE IS NO GOOD OR WRONG WHILE SAYING THAT THERE IS SOMETHING GOOD (INDIPENDENTLY OF THE PERSON MAKING THE JUDGMENT). THIS THE LAST FUCKING TIME I REPEAT MYSELF YOU FUCKING MORONS GET OUT OF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The fucking irony here

>it's the ultimate problem.

Truly, even if you believe in God and heaven, one can still say that all of *that* is meaningless.

did you even watch the video?

Optimistic nihlism is the gateway to egoism.

stop bullying becquet

What I don't get is how people can say life is meaningless when all life does at every scale is make meaning. There is no meaning without life, meaning isn't anthropogenic either. Biosemiotics are what makes life alive. genetic code comes to mean something to the cell by the exact same mechanism that these words come to mean something to you.
Phenomenon are natural and grounded in material interaction, transcending their material grounds but not nature itself.
Cartesian dualism is still the predominant de facto metaphysical view. Even some people who claim to stuanchly oppose it make obfuscated ontological assumptions that either meaning is itself a material object therefore assuming the position that meaning cannot be both a part of nature and a phenomenal.
So this isn't necessarily Cartesian dualism, it's a rejection of Cartesian dualism with an ontological foundation of Cartesian duality, namely that something cannot be nonmaterial and emerge from material. It's either mind or body from this reference and they assume it's all body without further consideration.
Of course pragmatic phenomenology has it's own problems in reconciling nature with the anti naturalist dogma of phenomenology, but that's only a superficial problem.

it's called existentialism te be henest