War and Peace

What's your preferred translation and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/books/comments/6n0bet/war_and_peace_by_leo_tolstoy_reading_it_and/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the depiction of napoleon is trash

but Maude is the best English translation

Currently reading the anthony briggs translation

>Definitive translation
>Newly revised
Wew.

>reading the Maudes unrevised
Have fun reading about "Andrew" Bolkonsky

This

Napoleon was a retarded manlet who got BTFO by Russia.

Julien Sorel would have agreed with that first assessment, I agree with the second. Unless of course 'depiction' refers to OP's image and not Tolstoy's take in which case youre doubly correct.

It's really not a big deal

Merely mocking the absurdity of a revised definitive translation.

Alianza’s, because I read it in spanish

The smartest person I ever knew was a Russian kid in my year 10 class who was so mart that instead of doing any work he spent all the lessons reading War and Peace in Russian, when he said that he had finished War and peace. I was really impressed. He also said that he had read Freud which was also very impressive.

Russia burned its own cities and barely battled him, you fucking idiot.

keke this could make a great pasta

>single volume editions of War and Peace
Why do you anglo shitheads do this?

I wanna find some good hardback volumes of War and Peace. Know which I should look out for?

I'm reading the Constance Garnett one now, but I'm seeing from other sources that it's not so well regarded. Did I fuck up?

I mean Tolstoy's depiction of Napoleon as a 1-dimensional villain whose only joy comes from seeing blood on the field.

1000+ page paperbacks shouldn't exist.

>other sources
You mean reddit?
reddit.com/r/books/comments/6n0bet/war_and_peace_by_leo_tolstoy_reading_it_and/

And how is it?

Everyman's Library. I believe it is the Maud translation too.

Nah she's fine for Tolstoy, I read her rendering of AK.

and Napoleon lost hundreds of thousands of men, gaining nothing and losing everything

What do people think of the P&V translation for War and Peace?

>Losing everything
You realise he came back after being exiled, right? Even after his big defeat at Waterloo - which was the proper defeat - he became a man of letters and stayed in the hearts of men, even now. Russians simply used Napoleon's huge army against itself, they barely did anything of note militarily.

it’s worth the money and the time, I liked it more than Anna Karenina though I wouldn’t say it’s more profound. If you have read any and enjoyed any Tolstoy you will probably like War and Peace. Also the 2 volume set looks nice in my shelf

Anyone else skip the second part of the epilogue?