/SFFG/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

>February
Love of Fiction Edition
>last book that made you feel loved (because we all know you aren't getting it irl)
>your favourite sff romance
>which sff book made you realize that you are all alone and no one will ever love you?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Blaise-Corvin/e/B01LYK8VG5/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_4?qid=1517962464&sr=1-4
furrywritersguild.com/
archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfHPLovecraft_201412
youtube.com/watch?v=aFZrqYn5f_0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for recommend me some good books for furries.

How to Commit Suicide by You Really Should

Can't kill that which has no life.

Any good novels with a little girl protag?

My question got lost in the end of last thread, so I'll copy here:
Thoughts on Michael Flynn's stuff? I'd personally recommend Spiral Arm quodrology (pic related) and Eifelheim. For Irish secret agents in space and medieval settings, respectively.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
Webnovels are great.

Look for litrpg then look for catgirls in the tags.

Black Jewels Trilogy
Iron Dragon's Daughter

This book has been dreadful so far. I don't want to know slice of life shit about war is hard, we are no longer friends, WE ARE A REPUBLIC NOW!!, malaria and a used up red's sister is giving up cunnies for blue shoes.
Even though I was one who used to shill the first three books, this one is shit. The hook that gripped me in book one (after the hand waving shit) is absent. I really want to drop this dreadful book.

Even with the cussing, this seems like a YA cash grab with all the dreams and feelings shit. Stay away.

Just bought this so I can read The Shadow Over Innsmouth and join in with this:

Been meaning to read some Lovecraft for a while

>[Deleted] Anonymous 02/06/18(Tue)12:59:28 No.10651386
>test
You were banned huh? Hope you learnt your lesson (and that you aren't ban dodging)

No wasn't b&, appchan x was playing up and the captcha was fucked

>using appchan
>not just using native Veeky Forums extension
look at this fagget

>implying anyone even talks about Tower of the Elephant or Chessmen of Mars

You can have this, but only if you don't tell anyone.

Sorry, dude, I thought Lysander fighting space pirates with Ionian waifu was pretty cool, and the red refugee stuff was easy enough to gloss over.

>I don't want Robinson Crusoe kind of survival
I would love some actually.

Is this the prequel to Black Panther

I don't know what that is.

Anyone else read the Southern Reach Trilogy? I really loved Annihilation, I thought it was genuinely weird, compelling, and well-written. The others in the trilogy were not as good but still had interesting ideas and vignettes.

>I would love some actually.
With magic? Hell yes.
Normal survival? Heinlein does survival books. Farnham Freehold and Tunnel in the Sky

>With magic?
Don't know if I've read one, but would certainly give it a go.
>Heinlein does survival books. Farnham Freehold and Tunnel in the Sky
Tunnel is pretty good, yes. Still need to try Freehold.

Read some of the first one. I've been meaning to get into it since I've enjoyed the heavier focus on the setting than character names.

It comes across as more creepy somehow.

Speaking of creepy stuff. Thoughts on this novel? I haven't read it but the way I heard about it put me off reading the book.

>the way I heard about it put me off reading the book.
How did you hear about it?

Are there any dream interpreters here?
>be dreaming
>dark
>there is a low cage
>two indian men lie feebly in the dirt inside cage
>extreme emaciation gives a look of skeletons with skin
>a third is already dead, but the body is missing
>shallow trench in cage awaits dead man
>it's time
>both men rock weakly back and forth until they have enough momentum to roll into the trench
>I might be one of them, it's unclear
>the corner of one's mouth twitches very slightly
>embrace death
>a dim radiance fills the area
>can now see that this is inside an inverted pyramid
>full of people barely less emaciated
>very unhealthy looking, but not emaciated guy on throne
>he's angry
>they aren't allowed to die
>the two men are thrust through a magic portal
>it's another world, and in the open air
>there's a little flesh under the skin now
>wake up
What does it mean /sffg/?

I think it means /x/ is that way.

Mountain's of Madness and Rats in the Walls are two of my favourites, and I think they're both in that collection

That one short story from Arts of Dark and Light. And Tales from the Veidt.

I just finshed An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington what should I read next?

was it good? is that series worth it?

No and no.

>We've finished Dungeon Deposed. It'll be going out to all the beta readers by the end of this week.

>After that, it's a trip down to the editor, and up for sale March 1st.

>No idea on the narrator yet, i'm going to put it up to ACX and hold an audition call.

>We shall see. :)

What I want to know is when is Super Sales audiobook coming out.

is horror welcome or is that too normie for you autists?

aw, that sucks

Apparently Super Sales author is doing a collab with some Blaise person this is what I found on amazon amazon.com/Blaise-Corvin/e/B01LYK8VG5/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_4?qid=1517962464&sr=1-4
Did anyone read anything of his?

What's some ridiculously optimistic space race stuff I can read without reading Baxter? Same mood as Red Thunder but more realistic.

Guys this is going to sound like an incredibly gay question but is there are big Sci-Fi/Fantasy community on the twittersphere?

>Two Indian men
>Too weak to poo

Spooky

Haven't read it yet, and not quite space race exactly, but the author's good. Firestar by Michael Flynn, it's a whole series about near-future space exploration.

How have you not read every single one that exists by now

Here I suppose.
furrywritersguild.com/

Though the main problems would probably be the sparsity of works (They haven't run a book of the month article in almost a year now), and finding the ones that are actual fiction and not fanfic about the author's bisexual wolf cyborg having tea on a steampunk airship with Kaiser Wilhelm.

I think I got January Dancer from the library ages ago and thought it was interesting. How's the rest of the series hold up?

I dreamt I read a new novel by Christopher paolini where he attempted to like deconstruct the fantasy genre or something by writing it like it was a videogame

>tfw everyone in sffg is a loveless, kissless virgin and can't answer the OP

Enjoying foundation so far desu

Pretty good. The writing stays just as good, but more scifi elements. January Dancer is still my favorite, but that's basically because of Hugh's introductory chapter.

>Don't know if I've read one, but would certainly give it a go.
Daniel Black is magical Robinson Crusoe and magical engineering.

thats all the fucking litrpg garbage books

They are actually fun (some) and not all garbage.

it really depends on the book i for example like pseudo-litrpgs or litrpgs where there arent many stats actually involved.
theres plenty of good ones around. just avoid the "popular" ones.

>love of fiction edition
More like Lovecraft fiction huehue

Read online: www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx
E-book: archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfHPLovecraft_201412 (including like 30 additional stories)
Audio: youtube.com/watch?v=aFZrqYn5f_0

Yes, they complain about white characters, Trump, and re-tweet anything with black characters exclusively.

Just finished Book of the New Sun today. Is it worth reading anymore scifi anymore? Will there be anything that even comes close?

Was thinking of reading it myself. How long did it take to get through? Will I be sad when it's over?

Prelude to Space

>tor
>the online reader

Horror should be part of this thread and I don't know why it isn't. Especially since all three genres used to be interwoven with one another.

So it's like the rest of twitter.

It's welcomed you faggot. Just post what you want, or what you want to know.

Is this book good?

Looks like a heavy metal album cover. It's probably shit

this was assigned reading in college and i really enjoyed it, anyone have recommendations for similar stuff? cuchulainn is one of the most interesting characters i've read, at least in this iteration. (maeve is hot as fuck)

>mythology but also based on oral history
>gods, curses, and druids are all real and magic exists
>ravens and death and the glory of combat
>enchanted weapons and skilled fighters
>occasional fucking

are the SOIIF books along those lines?

We just don't want to change the name.

>/shffg/

Sounds like the sound of a man with a lisp makes when he has a middling orgasm

It is part of the general newfag. We recommend that shit all the time. We just don't think it deserves it's own heading.

>judging a book by it's cover
>still thinks that this meme works

If you really liked horror you'd talk about it all the time so user wouldn't have to contribute original thought.

is it true that I shouldn't read Urth of the New Sun because it retroactively ruins BotNS

i should probably start this sometime

im almost finished and its taken me the better part of 2 months. you could probably do it in one month though, im kind of slow.

No, it's my favorite one. The ending is absolutely harrowing

Webnovels are novels too

Thanks guys. I'll get around to it.

>Welcome once again to the FWG Awareness Week! To help us in our goal of highlighting minority culture and writers in furry literature
STOPPED
READING
THERE

THOSE FUCKERS KILLED BASED ARKADY

GAS UNOMA SPACE WAR NOW

Just finished Ubik by PKD. I loved it. I have Flow My Tears, Do Androids Dream, Scanner Darkly, High Castle, all ready to go. Hooked to PKD. Leaning towards Flow My Tears or Scanner Darkly.

>Ubik by PKD
I'd say read High Castle next.

Has anyone here read the acts of caine series? I enjoyed the first one although i would've like to have had more world building/character development, do the sequels expand on the themes or is it another self contained adventure story.

I just learned of the existence of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series and put a bunch on hold at my library.
Should I read in publication order or chronological order, and should I bother with anything released after Rediscovery?

Do Androids Dream is the best, avoid High Castle.

Never read Darkover but as a general rule you should always read in publication order.

ASOIAF probably does meet your criteria but, for real, it's probably never going to get finished.

I'd recommend Lyonesse.

>The future is here and it's disappointing
>We never colonized space, there's no economic incentive
>No flying cars and fancy cybernetic enhancements, just cheap chinese drones with explosives, decaying infrastructure and facial recognition tracking
>Corporations and governments spy on everyone hardly anyone cares
Is there a name for this sub-genre?

Non-fiction.

You are describing Neuromancer by William Gibson, and by extension, the dystopian cyberpunk genre.

Actually there ARE fancy cybernetic enhancements but these are pretty grim too.

Update cyberpunk for the current year.
>It's not raining or night all the time
>Replace all cheesy Japanese culture stuff with cheesy Chinese cliches
>Hacking is far more mundane and you can't just hack everything

The hacking is not mundane it's desperately real but it's happening the other way. Corporations are hacking the minds of consumers in mindblowingly effective ways via all the new technology and media channels.

For some reason almost nobody ever answers the OP. I think the questions are just lost amid all the text.

>Love of Fiction Edition
I haven't read nearly as many sff that have romance in them for me to be able to answer that question seriously. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 books (not counting of course shitrpg or smut) that had some serious romance.

Tbh

Recommend me a fun read that won't leave me feeling dead inside by the end. Fantasy, preferably.

Is Orson Scott Card any good?

i don't think anyone is going to say "don't read ender's game"

Ender's game is good, the rest of his work is different in tone but I've heard some praise for it. Read 'Game then if you're still invested try Speaker for the Dead

Any fantasy with a good old fashioned happy ending? You know, the guy gets the girl and lives happily ever after and shit. All of the recent books I've read that are finished usually end in some convoluted way with some forced bittersweet ending for extra drama. It's like nobody wants to write a happy ending anymore. I know happy endings are "boring" but it's still nice to get one every now and then especially in this day and age where writers are trying a bit too hard to be grim and edgy.

Wizard Knight is a good one

>you can't just hack everything
IOT my friend. It's worse than you know.

not the guy youre responding to but how big are the chances old audiobooks get re-recorded?
the wizard knight audiobooks are so old they are fucking hurting my ears with how bad they are quality wise.

What's the problem with Darkover? It seems at the surface level to be something I'd be really into.