The Great Gatsby

Anyone else think it was overrated. The prose was lengthy and gave extensive details, which I liked for the most part, but the actual plot seemed like trash.

Thots?

>reading for the plot

I need to reread it sometime desu, havent read it since high school. I remember thinking it was alright but I wasnt really into the upper class bullshit.

Plot is such an American meme it’s not even funny. Yes, you know what happened, but what did you read?

METAPHORS

It's decent.

>the prose was
will never not trigger me

>start a fitzgerald conversation
>fucking asshat has only read one book

>the prose was x, the plot was y
A wicked formula that still echoes into Veeky Forums's future

>reading for the plot
It's pretty great but If anything its problem was that the plot was too tight and well structured. Tender is the Night is the superior novel in every aspect.

It's the result of the kind of video game/film criticism that's become popular on the internet, where they try to break down specific components of the things they're trying to critique and label them without putting any proper thought of the thing itself.
>oh sure the dialogue was nice but the characters were sooooo bland

>ywn be kneedeep in flapper pucci

My high school teacher felt Leo DiCaprio betrayed Gatsby's character with that one scene where he had an angry outburst. She argued Gatsby was too dignified for that, and that Leonardo ruined his character.

I think it's pretty good. The plot is certainly not a weakness. Do you mean it relies on coincidence at a critical moment? That worked just fine for me. The point is, the whole generation has been (literally or metaphorically) driving too fast for a long time, so eventually someone is going to get "unlucky".

The reason it gets criticized, I think, is it was seized on as the Great American Novel and over-praised, so there was a reaction (same as with Catcher in the Rye).

your teacher is fucking stupid gatsby is a con artist and a sappy little bitch everything about his personal character is a pretense to beguile and seduce a woman completely out of his league

>Gatsby
>dignified
Dude was a baller.

But he did it all to get her

No, he 'lived like a raj' or something in Europe and collected rubies before arriving at West Egg.

This

What makes this a flawed way of criticism though. Media can fail in some aspects and succeed in others.

>Zelda dear you're crazy I love you now fix me another sloe gin fizz before we head out to the cotton club!

>>the prose was
Ahh yes the PROSE

This