Why doesn't everyone just kill themselves?

Why doesn't everyone just kill themselves?
Think about it. There are _literally_ no downsides.

>b-but I want to live
So? When you're dead, you won't even exist to feel sorry that you're dead, assuming there is no afterlife. More importantly, you also won't exist to suffer, which is what you do in life.
>b-but muh eternal damnation
Have you considered that a God that would damn you eternally for an action you undertook with your limited human knowledge in your limited human lifespan is probably not a benevolent God and does not deserve worship?
>b-but muh family and friends
So? They can kill themselves as well and be free of the suffering after having come to this very same conclusion.

really glad there will be one less of you to post this fucking thread

everything I've worked for and loved and hated will disappear in an instant
>LMAO WHO CARES DUDE life is meaningless

>look up definition of "exist"
>"the state of being"
>umm ok
>look up "being"
>"the state of existing"

Okay OP
What does 'experience'?

Do you discredit every action ever made?
Do you think because of your self, God should never of existed?
Are you that edgy?

b-but muh body belongs to the gods. It would be unjust to prematurely end my life.

The absolute state of existing

Haha tromp

haha

>

>Why doesn't everyone just kill themselves?
There's enough time spent in the grave, ill take this hiatus from non-existence and enjoy it for the 60 years ill be here

that's DRUMPF you nazi

>So? When you're dead, you won't even exist to feel sorry that you're dead, assuming there is no afterlife. More importantly, you also won't exist to suffer, which is what you do in life.

I don't suffer at all. My life is cozy.

Why don't I not kill myself? I can escape the suffering of existence through a just and disciplined life.

>Have you considered that a God that would damn you eternally for an action you undertook with your limited human knowledge in your limited human lifespan is probably not a benevolent God and does not deserve worship?
...what? It wouldn't matter if you worship such a God, if they exist, you're getting assraped by demons for eternity if they follow your plan. Most people would consider that a downside. It's like saying to someone being raped
>You probably shouldn't worship the person raping you
It's not really going to ameliorate their situation

Why does Epicurus always look so angry? I thought he was all about having a good time?

They're not disappearing, your consciousness is. With the disappearance of your consciousness comes the disappearance of your ability to perceive the disappearance of your consciousness, so who cares? Life may or may not be meaningless, but why does it matter to you if your memories of these people disappear when your very self disappears?
What are you even trying to get at here?
How can you ascertain the exact motives and desires of these gods? They do work in mysterious ways. Do they even have the concept of property? How do you reconcile the concept of god-granted free will with the concept of not even being able to decide what your body does?
From your perspective (which is the only one that should matter here to you) there is no time spent in the grave. In fact, when in the grave to our perspective, you will not even have a perspective to reflect on the fact that you are in the grave.
Impossible. There will always be a degree of suffering.
A God that would sic demons on you for eternal assrape for a mistake you made with your limited human knowledge in your limited human lifespan is probably going to find another mistake besides suicide that you made which he sees worthy of such assrape anyway. This seems a pretty over-critical God.

>your limited human knowledge
God went on record in no unclear terms one is not to off oneselves before one's time. No limited knowledge there, son.

Great idea. Do it, post proof and I'll be the first to follow.

stop shilling your meme ideology you faggot

>So? When you're dead, you won't even exist to feel sorry that you're dead,
You dont think the mental state prior to that has any influence?

>assuming there is no afterlife
Big assumption

>is probably not a benevolent God and does not deserve worship?
So justice derives from 21s century morality not God? Interesting viewpoint.

>So?
Because they will suffer a lot before they die

were you inspired by the cigarette spammer or are you him?

Existence is a primitive notion.

You're right however we instinctively fear death more than almost anything else.
Go and try to kill yourself now, i bet you can't do it.

(checked)
The state of (You)
No, OP is off about a few things.
OP assumes there is no afterlife and then immediately makes an argument against the benevolence of God instead of disowning His existence, and instead says he shouldn't be worshipped, which is the surest route to damnation. This lack of consistency makes the rest of his "rational" posturing seem completely disingenuous as a result. Like (checked) said before, there should be no confusion as to where suicide stands on the judgement table, if you are religious then you know that it lies with all other sins and shouldn't be practiced in the same way that murder and theft shouldn't be practiced.
OP uploaded a quote that holds the opposite implication to his own argument, which is to seek death rather than discard it from thought.
OP wants you to believe he's made a valid argument that your loved ones will come to agree with even when no such argument has been made.
But the most obvious problem I have is that OP hasn't killed himself already and is instead making these unintelligent, non-Veeky Forums related threads.

t. famous carbon monoxide salesman Thomas Ligotti

you first stupid

There's not a shred of empirical evidence that consciousness either is or is not tied to the brain. As I see it, continued consciousness after death is a possibility, and I'd rather not go into eternity knowing I prematurely ended my life - assuming there is only one life.

because no loaded gun which would surely kill you fast.
otherwise, no downsides. but cowards and normies will try to justify living, usually resorting to some bullshit emotional appeal LIKE OH WOW HOW COULD YOU THAT'S SO UNCOOL YOU KNOW...

why has nobody gives the actual answer: our programming favours survival over reason--you can't undo millions of years of evolution with logic.

>A God that would sic demons on you for eternal assrape for a mistake you made with your limited human knowledge in your limited human lifespan is probably going to find another mistake besides suicide that you made which he sees worthy of such assrape anyway. This seems a pretty over-critical God.
And you want to speed up meeting him and the demons. lel You know you can get that faster by just walking through a part of town that wants to rape you?

That shit was invented so that people wouldn't kill themselves to reach their heaven

>Death is not an event in life

>dude my save file nooooo

This is honestly the best response in this thread

>high building
>train tracks
You have alternatives for quick, painless death. But you already knew that, coward.

He was actually in constant pain. He was just as concerned with the avoidance of suffering.

Nothing like a philosophy thread to bring out the pseuds.

I wouldn't mind being dead by since I'm alive, why bother killing myself

15 year old

You cannot cope with death. The end of consciousness is like the black hole of human experience, like what is outside the universe, but not in a way that grants hope and makes you wonder - it's the terrible absence of everything.
When I discarded my faith in God, Epicurus credo was very appealing. I could repeat it like a mantra and I wasn't afraid of death, but I've grown since then. He's right, but there's no comfort in death.

Imagine a world where death truly is a choice - would you be part of the boring masses, the hesitant who'd grow weary, who wouldn't find anything else to do after just a few billion years? Would you ever choose death if you did not have to? Any argument normalizing death is a case of Stockholm syndrome.

Just kill yourself and stop posting these underage threads already

>we shouldn't agonize over our impending death
>therefore we should wish for it

Yeah, just get it over with.

>suffering is bad or in some way evil

>There's not a shred of empirical evidence that consciousness either is or is not tied to the brain.
What the fuck are psychoactive compounds then you absolute retard?

Because when you’re dead you can’t experience life. Your life will end naturally so why rush to the finish?

>when you’re dead you can’t experience life
If you're not alive you're not capable of feeling like you're missing out on anything. Life is a prerequisite for wanting things.

Is it wrong do do the things you want? Life is (probably) a chance with the slimiest possibility of actually happening, so use it to the fullest

The fact that you haven’t killed yourself yet should show that you’re completely wrong

alright do it then, kill yourself.
oh you dont want to HUH?????
yeah that's what i thought

>Is it wrong do the things you want?
It's wrong to say "when you're dead you can't experience life" is a reason to not want to die, because like I already mentioned in the last post you only want anything in the first place while you're alive. Being dead makes it so you will not have even the slightest sense of missing out on anything.

Not true. OP's right in a rational sense and he's probably not going to kill himself because of the irrational / instinctual aversion we have to doing that.
Some people overcome that aversion and successfully end their own lives, but they probably almost never do so just because they were convinced on a rational level that it made sense to die.

But right now you’re alive. What point is killing your self if you’re going to die anyway later on. Appease the self desire you have right now instead of thinking about how in death you enter nonexistence

>What point is killing your self if you’re going to die anyway later on
You get pleasant things while alive (like a nice sandwich or a good nap) and you get horrifying things while alive (like fecal matter leaking into your scrotum from a fistula or cancer).
The pleasant things are only desirable if you're alive and have a sense of wanting. The horrifying things are only horrifying if you're alive and have a sense of suffering. So you have a reason to be dead to eliminate the horrifying things and it won't make you miss out on pleasant things because being dead gets rid of your wanting.

Yes but the pleasant thing outweighs the horrible things, like how taking a really satisfying poop feels, the warmth of a bed that you don’t have to get out of, loving sex and more

>the pleasant thing outweighs the horrible things

Completely and utterly wrong. Think of Schopenhauer's example: the agony of the devoured animal is always far greater than the pleasure of the devourer.

that's just because animals don't understand the sublime

Even if you assume for the sake of argument that pleasant things outweigh horrifying things that doesn't change the fact you only want pleasant things in the first place while you're alive. It's like arguing that diabetes is good because insulin will relieve your diabetes when you wouldn't need insulin in the first place if you didn't have diabetes.

Heidegger.jpg

So if just one person doesnt do it, the whole thing falls to pieces?

You couldn't have chosen a worse analogy than diabetes

You can always procrastinate suicide. Think about this: you can always delay it until the deadline which is literally the DEADline. And as you know there is no greater good then procrastination.

Can't wank if you're dead

It works fine. The point is you're citing the satisfaction of wanting as a reason to live when not being alive would eliminate wanting.

"Death will not fill up an empty life and in a line of verse it occupies only five letters of space."

t. Willy "The Gass Giant" Gass