So how much is taste in literature just social posturing and uncritical acceptance of authority?

So how much is taste in literature just social posturing and uncritical acceptance of authority?

I hope you will get aids for posting this soyboy pepe

why is an "uncritical acceptance of authority" bad?

this

Your picture is trash. Your question is retarded without more context. Elaborate you pitiful human waste.

Because authority is malignant and corrupt

No.
Fuck off.

Veeky Forums has no real interest in books other than as social capital. They also consume so much literature so often that their ability to appreciate it becomes atrophied and the main goal is to just read more, less-known stuff.

They are also remarkably in love with off-kilter philosophy for a board full of people who prize themselves in their passion for literature, and arguments here quickly devolve into "it sucks" / "no, it's good" / "no, it sucks" because nobody has any basic knowledge of literary theory or ability to articulate their opinions beyond "feels."

The ones who are more informed or read more academic books and spend most of their time letting the rest of the board know that they do and using their taste as leverage to get their fifteen minutes of online pseudo-notoriety.

Ultimately Veeky Forums consists of people who aren't as weird as they think but make use of their ample free time and piracy to invest themselves in a hobby that makes them feel special or sophisticated, allowing them to mentally compensate for their lack of social skills and failures in concrete or academic pursuits.

The real kicker is that in the end the vast majority of Veeky Forums is a hive mind ruled by a handful of online tastemakers mostly concerned with maintaining a balance between supporting "edgy" philosophy that will appeal to misunderstood teenagers and maintaining their cred among bored college students who constantly yearn for "real" literature for their mild amusement, negating the cultivation of individual taste or critical thinking in relation to art as a whole.

It's a feedback loop of posturing, masturbatory attitudes, and enough layers of irony to suffocate any hope of meaningful conversation. This last element--irony--is vital to allowing Veeky Forums and similar collectives to ignore the reality of their situation and disregard posts as this one with little more than tongue-in-cheek one-word responses.

Deep down you all know you're going nowhere in life and this is all a farce.

i come here for those occasional super-helpful anons. the ones legitmately passionate about a specific author or those human-wikis that help me find specific niches that i happen to take an interest in.

they've helped me scratch at least three very specific itches now.

"novelization of the new testament," "southern epic poetry," "modernist sci-fi," and maybe that's not especially interesting to you, or comes across as 'being weird for weird's sake' but I'm legitimately glad that this forum exists, and that it's prone to cherry-pick the worst aspects of conventionally popular writers.

but a lot of the board sucks too

Literary Theory, as it is practiced and as a whole is a set of intentionally vague, contradictory, and ever changing rules that create a logical system used by the academia-media-publishing industrial complex in order to monopolize the judgement of art, secure government funding, compete in the form of social posturing (by far the strongest reason), promote a large government, and guilt trip insecure members of the public in to paying for and proclaiming enjoyment of art.

Most x is what's wrong with Veeky Forums posts are garbage but this one is pretty good
I have nothing valuable to add

This reeks of projecting and I'm tired of lengthy hot take rants. You're not special, you don't have unique insights, you don't have a revolutionary understanding of human dynamics. Saged.

>novelization of the new testament

what have you found in this niche? I too am interested. I assume you've already read Barrabas by Pär Lagerkvist, that would be my recommendation.

literally all of it

>lit/ has no real interest in books other than as social capital.
>Ultimately Veeky Forums consists of people who aren't as weird as they think but make use of their ample free time and piracy to invest themselves in a hobby that makes them feel special or sophisticated, allowing them to mentally compensate for their lack of social skills and failures in concrete or academic pursuits.

If you can't catch up with the gist of this board stop comming here. Also, Bourdieu was a mistake. Interpreting literature and art as capital is a sign of either being a brainlet or being part of the industrial coarsening yourself.

Yeah OP and pop music is the most objectively pleasurable form of music, right?

The people who say this are bite-the-bullet rationalists who know nothing about the topic at hand.

A lot actually.
If you've ever read a book by recommendation, you've bend yourself under historical narrative.

True ubermenschen read books at random, and don't let a third party narrative poison the well.

I picked up Moby-Dick on a cross country road trip because it was in the backseat of a car, and even though my Dad had shit on it my entire childhood and teenage years and called it the least deserving “classic” he ever read (tried to read), I just started reading because I was bored as fuck. And it was incredible and I knew it. Been my favorite book ever since. Then again maybe I just say that cuz I hate my dad.

Literature IS an institution and enjoying it requires an ACCEPTANCE of the norms of its language, although the essence of the norms (or formative procedures) is in itself dialectical. That does not make it "unfree" or "necessary", but in a sense arbitrary, just like natural language itself

you're right but I keep coming back for the occasional moments of brilliance and sometimes the anons who post here like said have unique niche knowledge or insight from their experience in the academic or literary world. The place would be way better if we banned undergrad posters.

as opposed to you, who's virtuous and principled.

I'm sincerely sorry I've fucked up your board with my shitposting, but it's just fun, you know?

>all these idiots ITT projecting their own fake appreciation of literature

as opposed to you

Joke's on you, I dropped out of high school and jerk off to anime and read Neeetchee

Not him but there's a few.

Mailer wrote one The Gospel According to the Son. (jesus telling it first person) Saramago wrote something with a similar title.

Last Temptation of Christ by Kazantzaki or however you spell his name. The guy who wrote Zorba the Greek

Philip Pullman had one out The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ, but I never picked it up.

incredible post

>Deep down you all know you're going nowhere in life and this is all a farce.

what is "somewhere?" how do you define "somewhere?"

Any taste at all begins this way. Time and tide and lots of experience (with books in this case) have a way of legitimating preferences. Consider the bands (you) liked in hs, the movies, etc.

>becomes atrophied and the main goal is to just read more, less-known stuff.