DON'T READ THIS BOOK

>Manic pixie girl barf

Read Demian instead. Far superior and less vomit inducing.

Oh yeah and to the user that shilled me this piece of shit, I will find you and you will give me back my 20 dollars.

>Read Demian instead.

t. brainlet misogynist

I fucking gave it a shot faggot but from the moment Hermine was introduced, the vomit inducing male fantasy Of a young woman being anywhere as profound and insightful as Hermine was just too much for me buddy. Is just not realistic and you have to be completely delusional to enjoy this dribble

If you want to enjoy it, you can't have the mentality of an 18 year old.

she wasn’t real

So I must delude myself if I want to enjoy the book? No thank you.

Believing Hermine as a character is the equivalent of believing a black transgender scientist as a character. I'll pass.

Spoiler but I will take it. If that's the case, I might actually read through it as painful as it is (I do like what Harry has to say on a lot of topics).

This.

The bitch was obviously a fruit of the main characters imagination, stupid. The whole point of the book was to show you that the only way women can not be dumb is inside the world of erudite virgins.

I'm a self peeling fruit

Hermine is his fucking anima you fucking brainlet

>dribble

Hey OP. user who shilled you Steppenwolf here. Sorry for the shit suggestion. Let me make it up to you now that I have a better idea of what you are looking for.

Read Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

>a New York Times bestseller
The ultimate mark of plebbery

>criticizes a book before reading it
The ultimate mark of pseudery

Shut up jerry

Steppenwolf is pretty degenerate. I could see if a Young writer’s main insights into life were ‘dude hashish lmao’ and ‘just fuck some slightly whoreish artsy bohemian gril yolo lol.’
But this is Hesse’s midlife crisis book and he still has nothing more than hash and cunny.

I just wish I would have read it at 18

It's degenerate, but in the most productive way possible. Taking literal /r9k/ NEET and mixing that with a degenerate lifestyle is really interesting. Hermine is obviously supposed to be his anima. (You have read Jung, right?) One quote that really got my feelin reelin was "How can you say you've tried to live if you've never learned to dance?"

It's honestly not a book for everyone. I imagine a woman reading it would be like a healthy adult reading a book on coping with blindness.

I actually had a young woman recommend Steppenwolf to me when we were talking literature. She's a huge reason on why I wound up finally reading it.

>can’t call her ex
sad

Same. Hopefully I can reread it in a few years, great book imo.

if you think hermine is too good to be true then you better finish the book

all i remember about this book is the girl was a mega autist and the boy didn't want to go to prom with her

you missed the point, dummy.

harry indulges in all of the sex and drugs and stuff but then before the ball he and hermine talk and he acknowledges that while that shit is new and exciting, he knows it's meaningless and he'll get bored/burnt out on it eventually. hermine says she agrees with him and introduced him to that lifestyle knowing he'd feel the way.

the real message of the book is to have a sense of humor. harry was taking life too seriously and it was making him miserable and suicidal. being introduced to the drug and sex fiends showed harry a side of the world that lives freely and without concern for danger/the future. harry is meant to see this side of the world and not join it permanently, but to learn from these people to not take things so serioiusly. this is particularly shown by harry's dream/visions of mozart and goethe. he idolizes these men as the greats of the world, but they are depicted as very light hearted, implying he needs to become like them since he looks up to them.

I had a huge crush on the girl when I first read this as a kid

Hesse is as middlebrow as Thomas Mann. Don't read any of his garbage.

As a former Hesse fan, I think this book tipped me into the former category.

At least with Narcissus and Goldmund, I got what he was going for, and I sort of appreciate the message. Same with Siddartha.

But this book? The message was lame. The delivery was lame. It was just.. sort of pathetic, insecure, and I felt like he had an inferiority complex

Why does everything have to be sex with you? Does everything process through the binary "to nut or not to nut" sorting method in your mind?

t. Pseudo internet defense force

>Yet it seems to me that of all of my books, Steppenwolf is the one that was more often and more violently misunderstood than any other ... by reason of the fact that this book, written when I was fifty years old and dealing, as it does, with the problems of that age, often fell into the hands of very young readers.

You're clearly not mature enough for Steppenwolf. Your bluster and inarticulacy are evidence enough, but how telling that you prefer Demian - a novel set in adolescence.

>izzz degenerate!!

>DUDE BE A HEDONIST YOLO

What a shit tier writer

>the real message of the book is to have a sense of humor. harry was taking life too seriously

Absolutely retarded. Meanwhile Jews were about to get gassed but lmao whatever dude just take it easy, having fun is all that matters

Demian also sucks but is at least very short.

You can lead a horse to water.

>Read Demian instead.
but I am not gay...

>just b urself

yea

>jews were about to get gassed