Iliad (trans. Peter Green)

Pretty sauve translation so far bros
Excellent glossary and summaries included as well
Just a PSA to those interested in this edition

>trans.

post an excerpt you worthless fuck

it won't hold a candle to lattimore or the original greek

How do I learn Greek? Is duolingo good?

Ancient Greek =/= Modern Greek (which is what Duolingo teaches). Modern Greeks have Ancient Greek classes in high school and most still can't read Ancient Greek.

The Joint Association of Classical Teachers' 'Reading Greek' series is often recommended for learning Ancient Greek.

This. Post ending of book IX.

thanks based user
Are you Greek?

I'm a retarded pleb who can't abstract coherent physical detail from long form poetry
is Lombardo good for me?

>a Womyn translates The Odyssey
>LOL Trash
>yet another translation by an old white dud
>very suave excellent would read again 10/10 IGN

Lombardo is good for all.

He's managed to retain Homer's poetic beauty while also keeping the fast and punchy flow of the original. No other modern translation has done this.

unironically though

top kek
(but it's true)
>and
>also the correct criticism

Post an excerpt? Why the fuck else make this thread.

No need to greentext that since it's 100% true and fine.

Not OP but I found the opening lines:

>“Wrath, goddess, sing of Achilles Pēleus’s son’s calamitous wrath, which hit the Achaians countless ills many the valiant souls it saw off down to Hādēs, souls of heroes, their selves left as carrion for dogs and all birds of prey, and the plan of Zeus was fulfilled from the first moment those two men parted in fury, Atreus’s son, king of men, and the godlike Achilles.

*suave

Mediocre as fuck.

>he think she'll spend all his literary translative energy on the opening lines of a 15,693 line poem

Why even bother publishing it if you're not going to try your hardest?

>“Wrath, goddess, sing of Achilles Pēleus’s son’s"
>This unacceptable clusterfuck
>Pretty suave

OP here i'll post the first two stanzas since you guys seem hellbent upon shitting on this translation based on the first page and i dont think they'll sue me for posting the first two stanzas
Yes, my tablet camera is inexcusably shitty, but if you pretend you can read it then you can still read it

>many the valiant souls it saw off down to Hādēs
>their selves left as carrion for dogs and all birds of prey
What the fuck?
I read an amazon sample and it doesn't seem too bad, but this is just fucking awful.

to clear up some confusion after the other user posted the stanza incorrectly...
"selves" is defined in the foot note as being the mortal, physical flesh, which the gods even valued highly due to the fact that they could not fathom the importance of mortality, being immortal themselves
therefore, to desecrate the "self" is an atrocious act, more so, in the gods' eyes, than to desecrate the soul

>the woman adds words like problematic to describe Odysseus so that women can enjoy it more and to make it less archaic and oppressive and openly says that
>the new white guy just translates it
makes you think

This translation is on par with OPs or could even be argued better, and at the end of the day is leagues above a male cunt named Stephen Mitchel.

Tell me about a complicated man

not quite enough ((( ))) around that name

>This *cover* is on par with OPs or could even be argued better
ftfy
that sky / babby blue text is killin' the cover game

I'm sure a weeaboo reaction poster knows Attic Greek.

>caring about covers
Jesus, when did this place turn into r/books

>he spends enough time on /r/books to know what it is like

It was an empty insult. Nice reaction jpg my friend, mind if I save it? ahhahahaha

Save it, its all yours, my friend!

>not caring about covers
I bet you don't even collect antique books you pleb

Not sure what's worse, this translation or your camera.

>not reading it in Attic greek or at the very least one of the canon translations (including Fagels)
sad, man