What do you mean?

>in the mood for colorful slight surrealist love story
>ask about murikami
>Veeky Forums tells me to read windup
>sounds cool
>its fucking awful
>worst prose in years
>john green tier remarks littered throughout

Well, that's what you get for reading the translation.

>in the mood for colorful slight surrealist love story
>ask about murikami
>Veeky Forums tells me to read windup

Not an expert in Murakami but that was a terrible recommendation considering what you were looking for.

Did Storm Trooper kill himself? I thought he simply moved out but I read on TV Tropes that he killed himself.

Japanese lit is garbage desu

I've only seen the movie. What exactly is the appeal of it, to you soys? This story has none of the surrealism of his fantasy works, it's just depressing and doesn't seem to have a point. Except maybe, that suicide disrupts the lives of everyone even years after the fact. Which only makes it even more awful because the characters seem to have intimacy problems regardless.

I don't the think Toru was by any means obligated to wait for Naoko to get well. I think Midori was either a manipulative bitch, or just likes the attention and what I've heard happens in the book seems inconsistent with the character as depicted in the movie. Everything could've been resolved with candid communication, if the characters could just be honest with themselves and each other. Spoiler. I'll read the book I found it reads anything like this musical score, by the way. I fucking love it, but why are the Japanese so reserved?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnrqwR-8yY

don't think Toru—*
read the book if it reads anything like the— *

Pardon my run-on sentences, as well as any typos.

I really like the book and the movie was really boring. There's a lot of digressions and lovely meditative passages that perhaps the boringness of the movie tried to convey but didn't. I've seen like 30 Godard movies and I think it was boring. Not bad though imo.

It's about the loss of childhood and the addition and intrusion of responsibilities and other people which leads to the death of Kizuki because they couldn't sustain their private world any longer. However from the short story Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman we can see that the sickness had already started to set in for Naoko and that neither Kizuki (while he was still alive) or Toru would be able to save her.

It's also about trauma and grief and mental illness and how death isn't separate from life as a certain 'endpoint' or separate 'event' but can happen at anytime for seemingly no reason. It's also about the late 60's period of student unrest and culture. It's an unresolved love story, all that Toru is left with at the end is a song (Norwegian Wood by The Beatles) and some memories (which are slowly starting to fade).

I guess I interpreted it as Toru never being able to get over his love to Naoko which explains the ending, I don't think he ever hooked up with Midori. Like she asks at the end "Where are you now?" and he never responds because he's nowhere surrounded by faceless people which is a representation of how he is alone in the world at that moment, the loss of identity and the sense of place in the contemporary world which is a very common theme among Murakami's works.

Can anyone recommend a colorful slight surrealist love story?

The windup bird chronicle

Froth on the Daydream

more like a cuck story desu

This book is utter dogshit.

cool story babe, now go make me a sandwich XD

>but shinji didn't fuck any of them
The absolute state of this board.

This man, in my country he is nothing.