Poetry Reading Thread

youtube.com/watch?v=jn580mnDMbA

youtube.com/watch?v=qB4cdRgIcB8

youtube.com/watch?v=sPlSH6n37ts

Post links to people reading great poetry.

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/rives_remixes_ted2006
poetryfoundation.org/poems/45593/whoso-list-to-hunt-i-know-where-is-an-hind
youtube.com/watch?v=oLAKUbeEwbE
youtube.com/watch?v=2zQGP3LYtoI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't know what Veeky Forums will think... but I really like Rives (I promise this is not actually a ted talk) ted.com/talks/rives_remixes_ted2006

I don't like performance poetry too much.

OK I'm pretty sure I misunderstood the intent of this thread, but I guess you at least get a bump out of it

Whoops just saw your comment, sry user

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G3tpJbgzoE

I don't mind Rives but I just feel like there hasn't been any really good poetry written since the first half of the 20th Century. I mean, when I look at the people who win the national poetry prizes in my country I laugh at how simplistic they are and how egotistical it is (insofar as much as it is centred around their mental illnesses and mundane lives). Even the T.S. Elliot prize winner for 2017 had me baffled because it was just word salad without any true meaning built within the poems.

This is something I hear said here (in various forms) that I'm less frustrated with and more curious about. It's not that I don't make a habit out of reading, but I'm also passionate about music, and when people say things like, "There hasn't been any good ____ since ____" I have to wonder whether they are looking in the right places. Not that Rives is necessarily a good counterexample at all. Is it just that there's an aesthetic that you're really infatuated with?

I don't like most of the poetry past the 17th century much either, save a few examples/poets here and there. I love Wyatt, Herrick, Marvell and the other English poets around that period and when I compare them to poetry I've read from poet laureates now I'm shocked. Word salad is fitting for much of what I see nowadays. No meter, no rhyme. They take out all the finesse and skill of crafting poetry and call it good afterwards.

>meter is in any way challenging
it's like metalheads talking about the number of chords in a song

Maybe you need to try some rap music desu

Some meters can be difficult. It also makes poetry sound better and easier to recite.

I can respect that though

How would that be better in any way? I can't decide which is worse.

Putting something in meter is more difficult than not

Look, in spite of how easy it is to lampoon, the meter and rhyme IS at least interesting even if most of Veeky Forums doesen't see value in it

>when I compare them to poetry I've read from poet laureates now I'm shocked.
what?
this is carol ann duffy, poet laurate, who i don't like for being too much of a wyatt

Warming Her Pearls
BY CAROL ANN DUFFY
for Judith Radstone

Next to my own skin, her pearls. My mistress
bids me wear them, warm them, until evening
when I'll brush her hair. At six, I place them
round her cool, white throat. All day I think of her,

resting in the Yellow Room, contemplating silk
or taffeta, which gown tonight? She fans herself
whilst I work willingly, my slow heat entering
each pearl. Slack on my neck, her rope.

She's beautiful. I dream about her
in my attic bed; picture her dancing
with tall men, puzzled by my faint, persistent scent
beneath her French perfume, her milky stones.

I dust her shoulders with a rabbit's foot,
watch the soft blush seep through her skin
like an indolent sigh. In her looking-glass
my red lips part as though I want to speak.

Full moon. Her carriage brings her home. I see
her every movement in my head.... Undressing,
taking off her jewels, her slim hand reaching
for the case, slipping naked into bed, the way

she always does.... And I lie here awake,
knowing the pearls are cooling even now
in the room where my mistress sleeps. All night
I feel their absence and I burn.

She was so bad I couldn't even remember her name, but yes Carol Ann Duffy is shit. I think that poem is shit. Wyatt is many magnitudes better.

that is perfect 10x4 verse with all the same themes and only slightly more modern imagery and language than Wyatt. what you claim to like about Wyatt is present in that poem and it's not set contemporaneously. You've no soul or reason.

I'm not at all interested when I read it. Right from the beginning I don't like it. It may share the same themes, but the modern language and lines that evoke nothing don't do it for me.
I also don't see how it's all that comparable.
poetryfoundation.org/poems/45593/whoso-list-to-hunt-i-know-where-is-an-hind

What's so great about that? I'm none of the anons who posted above and I haven't read much poetry because it usually goes over my head. That said, I don't see anything there; not word salad, but still nothing more than some sort of pointless short story, a mildly weird microfiction, with extra line breaks at regular intervals. As always, I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise and be revealed the greatness of this poem(?).

It's shit. Read some of Shakespeare's greatest sonnets, along with the best that the other English poets in the same time period wrote. Rhyme and meter matter, but so does the actual words being used. I don't think common modern language can evoke what they do.

i purposefully chose that poem because it doesn't get modern until later in. you're clearly a pseud who figured that wyatt and marvel were far enough removed from a literature board's sphere of knowledge that you'd be lauded without merit. you won't. if you'd encorporated any of wyatt's morals you would be ashamed of yourself unto death but i doubt you even read him before getting called on it.
you picked one which has authenticity more than some others, because we can tell it was corrected to modernize the language by wyatt
i picked it because user's going on about metered poetry which does a lot of the things you described and to see if he really reads poems for that reason. he doesn't. he reads them because he wanted to pretend he wouldn't get stabbed in the 17th C.

I didn't pick Wyatt and Marvel simply because I thought nobody here has read their poetry. Herbert, Donne, Jonson, they're all good as well. I'll admit I'm no expert in the least, but I didn't throw some names out without knowing anything about them. I am biased towards Duffy, so the first lines may have peaked my interest if I hadn't known who the poet was, but that doesn't mean the poem is good. It doesn't rhyme and the language isn't impactful.

Also
>if you'd encorporated any of wyatt's morals
I don't know what you even mean by this. I like the man's poetry. I don't take to heart his philosophy of poetry, whatever that may be.

wyatt's modernizing and translating a lot of the classics to keep it a living tradition. the one you're quoting is petrarch being updated. pls stop being autistic wrong.

Ok, and? I know that he brought the sonnet to English and I know he translated a lot of poetry from Petrarch. His translations are good. I wouldn't thank Petrarch though for the good translation into the language I read. You're the one who sounds autistic for reaching for anything so you can somehow win. Duffy is garbage. No elaborate conceit, no rhyme, which causes even her best lines to be weak. Wyatt's Petrarch translations are great.

Now this--this is something else. Not just because of the olden words, though they do carry themselves with a certain elegance. It's that the feeling is more condensed. It seeds in me a wistful awe and reminds me of the times in my life when I felt the same. The other one is...interesting, I like the atmosphere, but I don't think it's poetry. It's a narrative split in lines of equal syllable length. Between the two there is a step, a rift, the nature of which I cannot quite put my finger on--yet. I should read more.

People underestimate rhyme. You're right about the modern language as well, but it's the lack of conceit in Duffy's poem, I think is one reason, that makes it dull.

>When you try to derail the thread with hip hop but no one takes the bait

Can I at least ask for your perspective on the meter and rhyming of this song (much less so the words)? I promise I don't do this to make people angry. It's called 'Quiet Now' with Busdriver: youtube.com/watch?v=oLAKUbeEwbE

Her beauty is its own color
her curves reveal its every promise
I'm without shrine when light bends
to complement her outline
I am without shrine when light bends

I'm just a man
built to break and filled with hate
when I see beauty that cannot be put on a film and taped

When a woman appeared
and light bended
she's an ethereal flight attendant

I thought that I was reborn or maybe life ended
I discontinued to suck on my ice blended
Thinking she was just made for adult modelling

To make men salivate
she developed a cult following
with vulgar mammals who want to clip her wings

But I thought of her as a solar panel
and I'm not alone most men agree
so I bedded my feelings in a foster home

Replace them with cro magnon testosterone
but I've never been good at hiding I've loved her since
asked if she could color print

the summer scent
and she did using notes flying out of golden tunnels with a single utterance
when faced with this woman wearing chlorophyll and sea kelp and angels hung from behind her is her seatbelts

Her beauty is its own color
her curves reveal its every promise
I'm without shrine when light bends
to complement her outline
I am without shrine when light bends

Poetry and music, I think, shouldn't really be compared. Music has a lot more leeway than poetry.

>lack of conceit in Duffy's poem
did you miss the yuri?

That's not a conceit.

>when user doesn't know he's in The Princess Bride
k

youtube.com/watch?v=2zQGP3LYtoI

"I - I'm sorry you feel that way user."

Poetry no longer is recited with music, it's hardly recited at all. Music nowadays is much less poetic and the syllables of lines can be filled by saying words longer or quicker to the music. Songs repeat themselves as well.