What religious writings should I read?

What religious writings should I read?

Other urls found in this thread:

newadvent.org/fathers/)
quran.com/
quran.com/1
youtube.com/watch?v=Jjzbhw919vc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Most of that is from Philosophers. I was talking more about from the religious figures themselves, like the saints

The Bible

The Book of Mormon.

Siddhartha

Definitely no need to read the coran. It's garbage.

People just put it on lists to be inclusive.

Now that we have the fedora out of the way, lets get back to the real recommendations

St. Augustine's Confessions is beloved by both catholics and Orthodox christians.
I haven't read him, but my sister also claims he's great

Sorry but I don't take recommendations from women

Then take it from all the other great men in history who found him compelling

City of God or Confessions. The Five Ways by Aquinas. Honestly, if you Google "patristic texts" you'll find a good starting point if that's what you're looking for.

The Gospel of Thomas

And so, my purpose is once more fulfilled.
>Lament for Ur
>Egyptian funerary texts, especially Book of the Dead
>Hesiod: The Works and Days/Theogony/The Shield of Herakles
>Avesta
>Mencius
>Zhuangzi
>Ovid
>Tanakh
>Dead Sea Scrolls
>The Poetic Edda
>The Enneads
>The Gnostic Gospels of Thomas, Mary & John
>The Gnostic Bible
>Epistles of Wisdom
>Essays in Idleness
>Sarva Darsana Samgraha
>On the Infinite, the Universe and the Worlds
>The Dhammapada
>Upanishads
>The White Goddess (You can also read; The Golden Bough, a bit fallacious.)
>Landscape and Memory
>Mushrooms, Myth and Mithras: The Drug Cult that Civilized Europe

The Holy Qur'an
The Tao Te Ching

Islamic-Taoism is the future of world religion.

bump

The Three Holy Hierarchs are essential: Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian, and John Chrysostom. Chrysostom is incredible, he earned his sobriquet. This (newadvent.org/fathers/) is a fantastic resource that has works from all three men (though far from complete collections). An accessible and easily purchased book is "The Life of Moses" by Gregory of Nyssa. If there were a fourth Holy Hierarch, he would be it. In the book, he takes a deep look at Moses's life, as taught in Scripture, and reveals deep spiritual truths found therein. These four are the best place to start. It's real theology, not Hindu or Neo-Platonist garbage.

Pistis Sophia
Egyptian Book of the Dead
Mulamadhyakakakarika
Saraha’s Adamantine Songs
Mumonkan
Zhuangzi
I-Ching
Hymns of Orpheus
Gospel of St Thomas
Corpus Hermeticum

No need to repost your Anglo Faerie Queen trash.Don't YOU me if you don't get the reference.

I dont get it

>Basil the Great
He is my favorite of the "big three" theologians. I love his work on how it was not only okay but also important to read pagan literature (While John "golden"mouth was shitting on people for going to theaters and games instead of church)

Synesius however, is my favorite Christian author. His satirical work, In praise of badlness is a delight to read. He was also friends with Hypatia, you might have seen his portrayal in the 2009 movie agora

bump

Quran.

here's the link:
quran.com/
quran.com/1

Example recitation paired with translation:
youtube.com/watch?v=Jjzbhw919vc

I remember enjoying The Life of St Anthony by Athansius when I was a church history student.

Do you have any idea why people claim to like Chrysostomos? I think he is more memed in Orthodox circles, than read. I suppose he was a convincing rhetorician back in the day.

Fuck off

Why lament of Ur?

>I love his work on how it was not only okay but also important to read pagan literature
as does everyone who reads such things as if they were just like any other lit

bump

TAKBIR!

Mystics like Hildegard of Bingen, Gregory of Nyssa, and John Scotus.