Why does my edition look so gay?
It's like Fifty Shades of Grey-esque.

because you bought it

Because you're mom a faget

is that flowers coming out the ass?

I have the same one

knees homo

Here, have a taste of Italian superior book cover aesthetic

Here you can better admire the front image and rejoice in our superior taste in designing covers

you know they did that onpurpose..

Even has a misspelled title lol

Because they try to push it to the female audience.
Also why does it look so short?

>judging books by their covers.

It's like you don't understand the point of literature. Almost no one here does.

> Pevear and Volokhonsky
That's why.

>Also why does it look so short?
>Because they try to push it to the female audience.

it's normal

This one is so fucking dull.

looks like chick-lit, desu. Get a taste of the Spanish edition.

I really doubt the 2011 book fifty shades of grey had some influence on the 2004 edition of Anna Karenina.

kek

>footfags

yeah, it was the other way around

mi negro

Weak stuff OP.

Because it's appealing to the same demographic as 50 Shades ever since Oprah put it on her book club.

hideous

I know it's the translation that got the prize but putting "it won a prize" on one of the most well regarded novel's of all time seems so stupid to me.

putting that on there may convince someone who already has a copy to buy this translation

jews.

that looks tacky as shit, like one of those barnes and noble "vintage" style classics

because they realized they could market Tolstoy to housewives, and even payola'd it onto the Oprah book club, convincing tons of normie morons to spend tens of dollars and skim it so they could chatter about it with their brainlet friends at yoga. have what you're looking at is capitalism in action. do you hate money you soyguzzling commie faggot?

I saw a dude reading the Frankenstein version of this in public the other day. I almost puked.

nah i love capitalism desu. what's wrong with the exploitation of the masses for personal gain and the watering down of art in the process?

Capital

my edition is much classier

The ones for Dune and Lovecraft are great. Fuck off.

I doubt it looks as good as my copy of Dune.

It looks fine to me, it's just outdated style that belongs only at home in the reading room of rich brainlet.

Oh, I'm jealous, won't lie. One day...

Good book covers are all alike; every shitty book cover is shitty in its own way.

> He spent $135 on a copy of Dune
> He didn’t get the $300 copy of Monte Cristo

You messed up user.

It was gift from mum and dad.

It's actually Tolstoy not Tolstov

Can you even read? The cover says Tolstoj, which is just a different spelling, not Tolstov.

Female readers don't understand a single word of the book.
Fittingly the strong womeme ends up destroying herself.

Shout out to Kitty, the Dulcinea, the idealized woman. Only to appear in fiction.

Very ugly feet

Pls faggot

It's much better than op's bestsellerized version.
It's actually none of those things.
Is it American happy hour on Veeky Forums again?

Ugly, desu

I'm not sure why that one looks so terrible, but I'll tell you what else to look out for: the "now a major motion picture" covers. They are as horrendous as that one is.

>Dude

Don't complain, yours looks okay.

This is the one that I have.

kek movie tie-in

thought the same thing

>it's another "person who doesn't know Russian critiques a translation based on the criticisms of another non-speaker" post

The biggest problem with them is that they aren't meant to ve read, they're just meant to sit on a shelf. My parents bought me the Hemingway one for Christmas and the spine was falling apart by the end of the day. Same happened when I was trying to read some Poe while killing time in Barnes and Noble.

>goes to a website with majority of Americans
>waaah americans

I'm not even an American but please fuck off with the desperate "fuck Muricans am i right?!?!" bullshit. This is a majority American website, make your peace with it and move on, Giovanni.

not him, but i have issues with p & v purely based on how they read in english. until i can speak russian, i'd rather read the best written english i can, where possible. of all the translations of war and peace i dabbled in, theirs read the worst, and if that's most accurate then i'm glad the one i settled on instead was less accurate

Masterrace

Those knees look like an ass. No way it wasn't deliberated.

What about this?

That's lovely. Simple covers are the best.

Winner.

go the fuck back to r.eddit you tasteless swine

Are you telling me that those are knees too?

But I know Russian, and posted a lot of critique from actual speakers and professional translators.

You don't seem to believe their popularity is pure marketing story, and their method is as amateurish in its ignorance as Bazarov's frog dissections. The quality you get is defined by interference of two random oscillators, one for her ability to transfer the meaning to English, and another for his ability to infer the correct style form that. Any true translator strives for everything to perfectly make the same effect on the native reader as it makes on foreign one, at the same time keeping off of the author's pedestal. There is no place for randomness in that, just an infinitely long path to perfection.

>Frank Kerbert

mine says Lev Tolstoi, what you gonna do about that bucko

Yes? It's a dust jacket

Posting the superior Spanish cover

Does anyone else prefer it when the softcover is just a reprint of the first edition? It makes a book more recognizable.

And most of the times it's the most fitting cover as the author probably had a say in it.

dutch edition.

the newer editions are tacky or boring.

>Not posting God-tier Heron set from 50 years ago.

that's pretty fucking nice. I personally have pic related on my e-reader

outta my way pleb fucking shits

Superb.

Looks alright. Who's the translation by?

> *volume 4 not included and must be purchased separately

>tfw my girlfriend has this copy of the book
>tfw this comment is entirely spot on

>volume 4