60 page description of tea party comprised only of pretentious aristocratic snobs

>60 page description of tea party comprised only of pretentious aristocratic snobs
>still good

Oh shit, thanks for reminding me that I need to read these books

>every encounter between characters is revealing or humorous
>every comment by the narrator insightful
>every description gorgeous as always in Proust

His party scenes are the best, pleb.

Proust could have written 100 pages about a rock and I would have read it. He made everything interesting.

for you

this is the year i finally read proust
which translation should i read?

inb4 learn french, i'm too stupid and lazy to learn another language

Learn French. Won't take you more than 6 months.

Moncrieff and Kilmartin (revised by Enright) is the standard and a masterpiece of English prose. Get the Modern Library 6-pack with that translation.

For some reason Penguin Classics decided to hire a different translator for each volume. Davis's Swann's Way is great, but I don't know about the rest. From what I've heard the quality varies.

There's even a course on the language website 'Memrise' for learning french specifically to read Proust. Uses his vocabulary.

Proust is a glorified Hallmark card writer that is only enjoyed by mediocre minds.

>Proust is a glorified Hallmark card
>My darling Marcel
m8 if that's your idea of Hallmark, I worry about your idea of S&M

did you miss when i said i was stupid and lazy?

Learning languages isn't much work and does not require a large intellect.

>Aristocratic.
>S. Nob. (Sine nobilitate)
Pick one, friend.

Actually, the "sine nobilitate" etymology is false. "Snob" is an archaic word for a cobbler that ended up being used by Cambridge students to mean something similar to "town" (as opposed to "gown").

I can't handle the half-page-long sentences. There are like five commas in every fucking sentence. RIDICULOUS!

notice how evil these two people are

Read the Moncrieff and watch the Raoul Ruiz adaptation of the last volume Time Regained.

Well, everybody here seems to hate Proust. I unironically found the first part of Swann's Way pretty comfy. He clearly has an almost sensual inclination to lights, shades, walls, flowers, stained glasses. The prose is gorgeus (the madeleine's fragment is one the best things I've ever read and the work has other passages with alike quality). Proust also evokes nostalgy and tenderness (his need for a mom's kiss; his grandmother, his irrational, sick and meticulous aunt). I have not read the second part though.

English is very light on commas compared to other languages.

i have such a bone zone over this book i want it i need it but goddamn if it's ever expensive

ok. ok. wow. just. ok. here are the true rankings, and I would go as far as saying that the rest of fiction as a whole is a waste of time, and you're better off reading poetry or watching TV instead of reading authors who are not in this list

SUPREME MASTER GOD TIER: THE MASTER OF ALL IN THE KINGDOM OF GREAT WRITERS IN HUMAN HISTORY, AT THE TOP OF THE HIGHEST TOWER, MASTURBATING 10-15 TIMES PER DAY, AS THE HAND WITH WHICH HE WRITES ARTISTIC MASTERPIECES IS MORE SEXUALLY APPEALING THAN ANY ADONIS THE GODS CAN CONJURE
>Proust

VICE-SUPREME MASTER GOD TIER: THE ONLY WRITER DESERVING TO BE IN SAME ROOM AS THE SUPREME MASTER GOD
>Joyce

GOD TIER: OCCUPYING THE MARBLE CASTLE WITH THE SUPREME AND VICE SUPREME MASTER GOD
>Tolstoy
>Homer
>Dante
>Dostoevsky
>Shakespeare

ANGELIC DEMON TIER: PATROLLING THE CASTLE WALLS OF THE GOD TIERS AND ABOVE, AND DOING THEIR BIDDING ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, CAPTURING AND PILLAGING ENTIRE PLANETS TO TO INTO PLANET-SIZED "THE MATRIX"-TYPE BODY HARVESTING FARMS, BUT THEY HARVEST HUMAN FARTS INSTEAD OF ELECTRICITY, PACKED IN DIAMOND JARS, FOR THE FART-LOVING PROUST AND JOYCE TO HOLD UP TO THEIR NOSES AND SHIFT THEIR NOSES LEFT AND RIGHT ALONG THE RIM OF THE JAR LIKE SNIFFING A FINE WINE, THEN TAKING A HUMONGOUS INHALE AND ACHIEVING UNFATHOMABLE ORGASM, "AH, A 2017 RUSSIAN LUMBERJACK FART, GOOD YEAR" THEY SAY, NODDING THEIR HEADS AT THE ANGELIC DEMONS WHO DO THEIR BIDDING, THE ANGELIC DEMONS' HEARTS FILLED WITH JOY AT THE HONOR OF SERVING THEIR MASTERS
>Goethe
>Kafka
>Chekhov
>Morrissey
>Nabakov
>Melville
>Chaucer
>Cervantes
>Ambrose motherfucking Bierce!

HONORABLE DRAGON WORK CREATURE TIER: THESE WRITERS' SOULS HAVE POSSESSED THE BODIES OF DRAGONS WITH LIME GREEN FUR AND FLORESCENT TIGER STRIPES WHO BREATHE GAMMA RAY BURSTS AND CIRCLE THE SUPREME MASTER GOD'S KINGDOM BY THE MILLIONS, AND OPERATE AS A HIVE MIND, AND HAVE BEEN GENETICALLY MODIFIED WITH TARDIGRADE DNA TO SURVIVE IN SPACE AND EVEN BLACK HOLES, TO HONOR WORKS THAT I ENJOYED PERSONALLY BUT THAT MAY NOT BE AS JUSTIFIED ON AN ARTISTIC LEVEL BY CONSENSUS
>Hesse
>Pynchon
>Hemingway
>Foster Wallace
>Woolf
>Flaubert
>George Eliot
>Balzac
>Borges

a shame it's not for you, toosilly

>Learn French
>6 months

that's if you're a Chadcademic. learning French for degenerates or lazy fucks takes years.