Literary confessions thread

I have no intention of fully reading The Republic and am just reading the parts that interest me.

im ADHD and often have to re read a paragraph several times until my brain locks it in

I have no intention reading anything and am just reading the comments about parts that interest me.

I read just so that I can feel intellectual for myself. I don't enjoy it but I power through.

I have a bunch of tabletop RPG books that I like reading, but have never had any people I could play them with and probably never will because of my extreme social anxiety

I’m trying to make a YouTube channel about video essays because all of them are too serious and the ones I plan to make are like the truerationalatheist video but more informative

i think post modernism is the worst.

i think david foster wallace manipulated post modernism to make himself seem smarter than he actually was.

i think catcher in the rye is a solid novel

The Republic, compared to the rest of Plato's work, is dogshit anyway.

(You), rec me some books please. that is like antithesis to DFW, or any good book. i need rec

It's not that long m8

The only time I read anything written after the 17th century these days is when I'm playing visual novels

Define post-modernism, please.

read Mrs Dalloway

unending criticism that claims to be pointless

please explain why this is different from modernism

true

it's postmodernism you fucking retards

My confession: I went three pages back to track this thread down to jack off to OP's pic. That Greek woman has a god tier ass.

Because that is not the entire point of modernism, wherein the entire point of post modern is what I already said

>not being able to tell that the exaggerated buttocks is meant to be a representation of her stoic character as a female,and not a realistic depiction of the female form. This being a style popularized in the late roman era (aka basiclly photoshop)

fucking pleb I bet you worship mithra

I didn't read a book between the ages of about 10 and 20, mostly because of attention problems and videogames existing. Even in high school 'advanced' English I only ever read summaries of the books.
I tried starting back up with The Art of War. Got bored, moved onto 1984 and am enjoying it.
Hopefully I can get back into reading regularly, I liked Tolkien and Douglas Adams as a kid. I want to work my way through some of the classics, I'm thinking Crime and Punishment next. Any suggestions?

oooh I finished crime and punishment recently, Its a great book but you might have difficulties reading it if you're not used to reading big books, you should start with shorter ones and then jump into a big challenging books, thats what im trying to do now with gulag archipelago, anyways. For me, crime and Punishment was a very rewarding experience although, there is a lot of detail that can seem very tedious early on, although the book does have its moments early on. Personally I think crime and punishment has some the greatest dialogue sequences ever crafted. I also recommend reading a letter Dostoevsky wrote to his brother after he was nearly shot by a firing squad for owning communistic books. The letter gives a lot of context as to why the book was written and in a way the letter spells out the direct moral message behind the whole book. But do not read it before you finish the book, as it will spoil the ending of crime and punishment. The book at first can seem kinda annoying and pointless, but it definitely pays off in the end.

or maybe you should just read a brave new world

I've never read Brave New World

I'm curious, how does her thicc butt represent stoic character?

Crime and Punishment is boring as fuck and I couldn't even finish the audio edition. The part where he actually kills the lady/ladies is great, so is the dream about the horse, but everything else is just ideological masturbating and a set up for Dostky to shill his philosophy.

I have read a lot, grown up and am at a point where most litearture is silly to me now. A book has to be must read, with a good premise or author to even consider it. I'll read Ben Lerner, probably Franzens' new stuff when it happens, but now I'm mostly non fiction or learning something like drawing or contemporary art books.

I was larping to the fuck trying to autisticly point out that the image was photoshopped, never the less I will try to indulge you regardless. I've been lead to believe that the romans were once deeply infatuated with stoicism, this lead to subjects in art pieces like statues and busts to be more characterized and less realistic. Sometimes features exaggerated features were meant to represent a quality a person might of had (a common example of this is big anime eyes on busts, which represent spirituality). Now the butt somehow being a representation of character is a bit of a stretch, and since this is Veeky Forums you have to take my word as it is. I could be an arts major with a minor in philosophy or a crazy hobo who lives next to a McDonalds who leeches off of free wifi on his burner phone

you may nevverr knoooowwww...ooooo....

I bought the first 2 books of the "fifty shades of grey" trilogy 3 years ago because I read on the internet that they were good.
I read the first one and then started the second one when I realised that I've made a huge mistake.
I still get a deep feeling of regret whenever I see those two books.
I put them inside a box under the stairs and still don't know what to do with them.

The action of the lady part is a bit boring really. I never understood this shilled notion that Dostoevsky preaches on a soapbox throughout the book. The protagonist and the characters in the books are all deeply flawed and Dostoevsky does not have an end all be all life changing solution for the struggles of these characters. They contiously suffer through life and the solution to their suffering is not at all obvious yes rahziumihin(fuck I cant spell russian names without autocorrect) does pantomime at a bible in his cell block but it is not obvious that this somehow solves his problems completely.

Oh ok

I'd just sell them dude. My friend is a litizen and he bought them thinking they were legitimate literature and not just an erotic e-book that got stupidly popular

Where do you live user?

I'll try, I know a lot of girls who are interested in reading shitty books.

Channel name?

iktf

joisey

I never read the foreword.

I have not found any English literature from between the Middle Ages to the late 1700's that I enjoy, and the way English looks during that time makes me ill.

>he doesn't have a fun time reading middle english out loud

I can't focus on most books and it takes me a long time to read them because i get distracted so often. I read 18 books in 2017 and am still pretty proud of that.

Also i read three books of Nietzsche (genealogy, Beyond good and evil, Zarathustra) but still don't really get what his philosophy is all about. If anyone is willing to help then that'd be great.

I think all of the classics/canon titles are artifacts, and not worth reading outside of scholarly curiosity.

I think the Warhammer 40k setting is the most interesting and versatile scifi setting that exists.

I thought Tundra was really good

I have all these classics on my e-reader device but I'd rather read mediocre self-help books that won't appreciably improve my interpersonal skills or sense of happiness, while really I should be reading textbooks for work.

It’s going to sound really dumb but I named it pseudo. I haven’t made any videos as I don’t have a mic not do I have editing software but I have made at least 2 essays. I’ll continue to make essays until I have the stuff to make the videos because then I’ll have a backlog of stuff to record

Because I haven't been able to read to my friends I want to make a YT channel where I read books out loud

i hate reading old english because it sounds cheesy to me

The only time I felt like I could read and absorb and react with my literature was when I was on adderall.
As I became sober, at 18, for the first time in my life since I was sick, I came to the stunning realization that I was hungry, polluted with wrath and juvenile emotions that were so severely stunted from being hidden for so long, and not nearly so intelligent as I always believed I was.

I currently hold my hands to the sun, burning them the best I can, but I cannot hold the heat any longer. No true literary connections, no breathing paintings fill the now echoing cavern in my damned head when my eyes stray across the page.
I have considered returning to the stimulant, and when I have done experiments, I have lost what social development I have gained in this past decade. My fiance vanishes from my focus, my mother falls from a cliff, I grow cold, vindictive. But the flower of my mind opens once more. All of the words effortlessly flow through my fingers, all of the allusive writings expose their secrets to me with a mere glance.

I, my friends, have given up art for the mundanity of love, and affection for my family and beloved. I have not felt more than a husk in this decade.

*since i was six

Reading more than a book a month is good. You'll get better at it too.

I hope you see the irony on your post

I think that Nietzsche is just edgy existentialist.

I hope you see the pointlessness of your existence.

Pleb

jesus. now i feel a bit better about my lame life. good luck my friend.

is it that bad?

I enjoy light novels

i'm well read and have no trouble bonding with pseuds and scholars.. but i can't make any friends on lit. ;_;

Jesus Christ shut the fuck up.

I have a clean conscience. The shame and fear of reading is something that must be stamped out, and the imperfections purged

how rude. didn't do anything to you.

The Odyssey is pretty good though man, so are greek comedies

>I'm curious, how does her thicc butt represent stoic character?
Her ass is fat from sitting on a porch.

Nick is nowhere near as well read as he claims to be. What a fraud

>stunted from being hidden for so long, and not nearly so intelligent as I always believed I was.
Good for you for making the admission. Narcissism is a serious side-effect of Adderall.

starship troopers got me into reading.

now i mainly read murakami and knausgaard.

It's essentially the "people are unable to be rational" part of Marx' ideology

I unironically enjoy the Gor series.

There's simply so much to explore in the universe. I read a book of short stories and some of them explored concepts I'd never even considered before.

Would love to get every single 40k book but I don't know if I could come back from that...

Where do you start if you have no knowledge of the gaming system?

i used to think i was scamming the government collecting Veteran benefits because they misdiagnosed me with PTSD and depression.

1 suicide attempt , 2 failed marriages and the drowning realization that i am numbed out while no longer enjoying ANYTHING i used to made me realize that PTSD is scary, depression is a silent killer. and combined it's very easy to see why so many vets kill themselves

and here i was thinking i had life on ez mode with my tax free government moneys while laughing at people who are suicidal, "lol only weak guys kill themselves, if anybody got me to that point i rather kill them first."

also i didn't enjoy ANY lord of the rings books. i think game of thrones is edgy for edgyness sake, the twilight series were ok, harry potter wasn't that good, and this is actually a good book.

Lexicanum, it's the 40k wiki. 1d4chan is also good