/shelf/ thread

masturbate in public edition

This is the most pseud shit I've ever seen.

be respectful user, or I'll put a hex on you!

Kys

Eh, my shelf is probably worse in that regard.

where is your leather coat and your fancy brown boots?

t. r*dditor

>don't have Plato and Nietzsche and other meme-tier writers
>Veeky Forums: lol pleb

>have Plato and all that other meme-tier shit
>Veeky Forums: haha pseud

im not sure i understand your reference but here

>literally nothing but mythology and mysticism

Why

very unwise

because that's what i'm most interested in. this is just one small set of shelves. all the other stuff -- genre, non-fic, Veeky Forums books, "literature" -- is elsewhere and kind of disorganized right now.

POST SHELVES.

Pls no bully -- I'm still moving into my flat.

fascinating. i would have no idea where to start with indian lit. have you read the rest of follett's kingsbridge series?

Yeah. I think I've read just about everything he's written to date, save for a few of his earliest novels.

My mom gave me a copy of the Pillars of the Earth when I was a teenager. Loved it and read the rest of his bibliography.

In terms of popular fiction writers, I prefer Jhumpa Lahiri -- she's just in another league -- but Follett's books are all fun and informational, too.

Is your name Nick? Alex?

No. Is your name David? ...Grug?

Currently reading Rimas and the first part of Plato's dialogues.
Also, that buddha was a gift from my aunt

Neat. Follett gets heat around here but I enjoyed The Pillars of the Earth as a teenager as well. I don't recall liking the sequel but maybe I'm imagining things. Haven't gotten to the rest of it yet. I'll check out Lahiri, thanks.

Anything that isn't muh ancient Greek philosopher gets heat around here.

I'd reckon I'm the biggest pseud on this board.

Second Shelf

And my fiction shelf. It's petty unremarkable.

You got meme'd

I like it. And that's a nice buddha. Sitting on the appropriate book, too.

At least he got hit with the good memes. Yeats, PKD, Mussolini.

>user can't into ensuring his own liberty
pic made me kek, so have a (You). but please keep it on

hey what's that edition of the organon like? i'm currently saving up to buy the loebs, but given the price i could easily be convinced by the quality of that edition.

IS your name Nick? Sam?

is your name sam or nick

Sam?? Nick???

It's either of you motherfuckers. You keep hinting that you fucking read all the fucking time on Facebook and Insta.

1/3

yeah fuck that faggot and his arrogant-ass statuses

"lol just put my mussolini book between Plato and Nietzsche, can't wait to start on King Lear tomorrow"

2/3

3/3

I've got other shelves but I don't feel like taking pics of them

Complete, afaik. It's just a cheap CreateSpace someone put together. I can't speak to the quality of the translation, but here's an example.

It's nick isn't it? Go home, Nick. They're worried. Stop this nonsense! You'll never make it!

Neither of those are my name. If I'm thinking of the right people, don't think either of them would be interested in most of the books I have on my shelves.

Poor lighting I know but just ask and I can let you know title/take better pics of these

Esa edición de Platón, vale la pena comprar Porrúa?

thanks! that's helpful.

Si puedes comprar una mejor edición hazlo, pero la de Porrúa no esta tan mal. Si he visto algunos errores dentro del libro pero no son tan grandes y la traducción no parece ser mala.

Brother! I see you are enjoying your phisicality!

Dear user,

it has always been my dream in life to have my bookshelves filled with ancient books on mysticism and retire in the countryside with a gun to shoot everyone who even dares to come near my house (mailman included, I'll get my books going downtown on my sled pulled by six alaskan huskies). So please, tell me: how old are you and how did you come to own both Plotinus and a gun? I want to know about your life (in green text maybe) and learn how to become an ascetic gun-wielding monk myself. If you could tell me bits of your story, I would be very grateful to you.

Best wishes,

user

>i would have no idea where to start with indian lit
are you kidding? aravind ariga and arundhati roy are internationally well known
the white tiger is a cracking book desu

Indian lit starter pack: Midnight's Children, A Fine Balance and Narcopolis

am i a meme

T. /pol/ faggot

Go back to your board.

I just started reading more books

all of these look unread. i know beacuse i have many of the same editions - Dante, Marx, etc. and they look trashed after a reading

These shelves are also suspiciously tidy

>not a single crack in any of those spines
you should try actually reading one of them after you buy them

true, I haven't read all of them yet but I am really careful with my paperbacks.

mercy pls

i've seen about a dozen of these shelf threads now

everyone has the same titles and they all look totally unread

Veeky Forums is for teenagers seeking an image, no one here actually reads desu

those philosophy books haven't even been opened

yikes

the few ones on top of the books on the 3rd shelf i newly bought for class, and yes they have been opened

Tidy shelves not so sure. I keep mine pretty tidy as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a little pride in your library (maybe Peterson "clean your room," but I prefer Mari Kondo "find joy"), but many people confuse that impulse with its image.

Spines are usually, but not always a great indicator. In my library, Phenomenology of Spirit, most of the Norton Critical editions and a few other titles have held up terrifically well even after multiple readings. But Signet, Bantam, and especially Penguin black-covers always crack to hell even with fairly gentle reading. I've never seen a read copy of Infinite Jest that looks as nice as the ones in these threads.

>MDE book

I mean I like em but you could have just read the pdf that someone uploaded

>Fagles
kys

>Pseud

Is this just Veeky Forums's word for brainlet? aka, reads books I don't like?

Pseud=Poser

You're welcome.

I am! In case you meant this sarcastically: is enjoyment or its lack not the major feature of being?

That's a nice dream. I am old enough to know better, and... the store. This is not /r9k/ but you asked nicely:
>be me, read plato as a child
>suffer plenty, be seduced by religions
>years in fruitless search for meaning, quit
>join army and learn to kill people
>gb2 greeks+bible, find agnostos theos, faith in god regained
>also be reading Mill, Paine, Milton and build a healthy concern for the tyranny that is already here

The 1911 is fun to shoot, and a responsibility; a constant exercise of one's own free will.

Hope you are suffering admirably,
OP

Thanks anons, I'm just dumb white trash and really didn't know where to start. I mean besides a listicle somewhere, but I'm not going to those websites.

>kys
No, and please don't tell people that. I bought those in my early 20s before I knew better. I've read those twice, and Lattimore since (and Fitzgerald's Virgil). It's fine.

no, you're user. and bottom's dream is enormous. holy smokes.

I've read about half of them. I also read from the anthologies pretty frequently, but I've never bothered reading them all the way through.

I read those editions of Dante in high school, but i just bought those copies a couple weeks ago.

>I've never seen a read copy of Infinite Jest that looks as nice as the ones in these threads.
That book was a gift. I don't plan on reading ot, but I'd feel bad getting rod of it.

Woo only the most rustled jimmies could have produced that.

Stay mad libs, stay mad foreigners. Tell your daughters to enjoy having multiculturalism raped into them.

>1001 movies you must see before you die
>12 years a slave
DROPPED

>proust getting menacingly bigger with each incarnation

>Cornel West
In to the trash it goes

Nice shelf. Do you practice theurgy? Are you girardfag?

These threads should be called /books you have and don't read/. Guarantee 75% of the books you have you've never properly read.

Thanks. No, and no.

all you spine-checking misanthropes can stay mad and die mad, or post your shelves

r8h8

It wasn't a bad book at all. West is probably the closest I can get to the intersectional crowd without vomiting.

>here are my books, of which I've only read 20% from front to cover and understood. I just post this image to raise my social status on an anonymous cartoon forum by appearing more intelligent and hip than I actually am.

your madposting is delicious. keep it up, and post your shelves.

vo te da uma camaçada de pau

Please stop getting the wrong fucking books. Get the right fucking books.

>No and no.
Are you Christian? I am a poorfag but here is my humble library. I have read many books in your library and wish they were in mine so I could posture better but I usually read new stuff from the library or in ebook form first anyway.

Do I just give up or what? I have more books but they couldnt all fit. Mostly war stuff and the occaisonal Hesse book

Take the stickers off

>Are you Christian?
I think so, although some would say outright I am not. Not everything on the shelves I posted is representative of my beliefs: the Hoeller book on tarot/kabbalah and the Maffie book on the Aztecs for example. I don't try to influence the divine in any way. I'm a speck who will return to it in the blink of a few decades anyway.

>Kempis and Eliade
my fellow literate human. and no worries about posturing, I made the thread exclusively to show others what's on my shelf and to see what is on theirs. there is no ego here.

sorry i already have the wrong books and can't be arsed to replace them yet. and we have a few in common.

>with the old breed
my man. you might be interested in Lendon's works. why would you give up reading? read what you like.

I was kidding about ‘right books’, but if you’re into Plato that is a well-researched collection (if the books that are not priced for libraries), and here is a good reading list for the alchemist because I saw some alchemy books in the thread (a couple overlap with Plato)

you enlightented yet brother?

Also, OP, thanks for having the right books. Of all the shelves I’ve seen on this board, that is my favorite. Glad to see someone aimed in the right direction.

I wish. Still too damned human.

That's an amazing collection. I'm really interested in Zhang's Many and One. And you have the complete works of Philo, which I didn't know was in English.

There's enough transformation there for more than one lifetime, I think, little brother.

Thanks my man. It's my favorite as well, I should hope. Not sure what my end goal is. Something about renewing faith, giving hope. What do you hope to achieve?

And now a shelf where no booty bothered anons can say I have not read every page:

>all of these books look unread
Oh, so you're the type of pseud who vigorously folds his books a dozen times after every page turn so people will think he has perused his lofty tomes countless times?

>Bottom's Dream
Yes you are. Burn that trash immediately

I might try to become a constellation. Get beyond Cronus and be in a place without space and time. Nah, I’m just hoping to do the right thing over and over so I don’t have to live over and over.

club fisted barbarian detected

Gracias por el dato, lo estoy leyendo en mi Kindle actualmente, la edición de Gredos. Pienso conseguir La República en alguna edición bonita, la que tengo en físico es vieja, y en la primera página reemplaza la mención de esclavos como si fueran "muchachos" así que no le tengo mucha fe.

Can't see shit!!

>3.0

This deserves to be on Veeky Forums and vigorously ridiculed.

You have a nice collection. But what's your spiritual practice like? Have you attained freedom, immortality, and ecstasy? I myself have bought into the esoteric Catholicism meme. Going to mass on Sundays and holy days. Try to pray daily. Morning and evening. Practice about fifteen minutes or so of meditation daily. Do walking meditation while walking dogs. Wanna get into yoga. But my meditation is already pretty Patanjal inspired and I'd hate to buy into the >asanas meme. My dreamwork is all over the place. Have a satisfying relation with peers and family and opposite sex. Am I enlightened yet? The one desire I have left is for books, lol.

I hope to be reborn as a binary star dancing with its partner amidst the void.

Am I special?

Impressive. I don't see a single thing of intellectual value.

Of course you are. Can't see many books, but I like your clutter.

Do it! And it's a mix of 3--3.5. Still better than 4. I have avoided 5.