James Joyce's literary taste

What do you think of James Joyce's taste in literature?

saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf

>"That man writes really too poorly"
(on DH Lawrence)

Other urls found in this thread:

saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>"That man writes really too poorly"
>(on DH Lawrence)
wtf i love joyce now

>I love Dante almost as much as the Bible.
W-hat?

bretty gud

pretty shit desu

>saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf
do you think he ever read any dfw?

>Kant
>"In the last 200 years we haven't had a great thinker. My judgment is bold, since Kant is included. All the great thinkers of recent centuries from Kant to Benedetto Croce have only cultivated the garden." (WP71)

>"...the real American writers so far have all been minor writers, such as Jack London, Bret Harte, Robert Service in Canada and such like, and it will take a long time before they produce any art which is worthwhile. What they want in my opinion is a few more wars..."
Holy shit

On Proust
>I myself think, however, that he would have done better if he had continued to write in his earlier style, for I remember reading once some early sketches in a book of his entitled Les plaisirs et les jours, studies of Parisian society in the '90s, and there was one in it, 'Mélancolique Villégiature de Mme de Breyves' which impressed me greatly. If he had continued in that early style, in my opinion he would have written the best novels of our generation. But instead he launched into À la recherche du temps perdu, which suffers from over-elaboration...
Huh anyone familiar with early proust?

absolute keke

Robert Service wasn't even Canadian

Kant is a cunt

>muh universal approval
>muh universal community

Fuck him and all the shitty ass liberals that came after him.

you all seriously misread that statement if you think it means joyce disliked kant. not great =/= bad

>diluting Kant just to his ethics

His point was that he didn't think men like Whitman were representative of American civilization. He thought a writer like Jack London much more American than someone living a hermits life and uttering poetical maxims.

sorry to disappoint you lol

how did you manage all those implications from a vague meme chuckle response

Because you're shallow and easy to read

>"He hated anything to do with bohemians and always showed contempt for their way of life"

What were some things that bohemians were known for? I know in the short story Eveline in Dubliners, he references a play about Bohemians, but what does he not like about them?

Thanks for sharing this OP

>but what does he not like about them?
that he would be considered one

>stable family man
>bohemian

'Bohemianism is the practice of an unconventional lifestyle, often in the company of like-minded people and with few permanent ties. It involves musical, artistic, literary or spiritual pursuits. In this context, Bohemians may or may not be wanderers, adventurers, or vagabonds.'

Dante naysayers btfo

shouldve saved that line silly poster what do you think this is a literary back and forth

>After Flaubert the best work in novel form has been done by Tolstoy, Jacobsen and D'Annunzio
First time I see someone praise D'Annunzio's novels.

You're mom a fag

>Tolstoy below Flaubert
Shit taste

Kek. 10 Veeky Forums points to you.

Kind of explains why I could never get into Joyce. I like Hardy, Lawrence, Whitman and Thoreau the best. But Joyce thinks that stuff is primitive or vulgar. Oh well.

>Samuel Beckett
>"I think he has talent"
this is funny

>Joyce accusing anybody of over-elaboration
The balls of the guy. Based.

I'm seriously curious about how he could not like Goethe's Faust. It's unironically one of the greatest masterpieces of Germany.

brap

>greatest masterpieces of Germany
well there's your answer

>I think he has talent...
>for fucking my daughter

Proust is the only person who has ever elaborated on something more than Joyce

I think you may enjoy neoclassicism a bit too much user. Not saying you should change your ways, just an observation

But he liked Rimbaud
Thats weird

Kant btfo

German autism translates well to stuff like Rockets, and Real Big Thought... not pretty words.

What did he think of voyage to the end of the night?

Maybe. I like what I read to be a little more visceral and less cerebral desu.

His review of Hemingway makes me wish he'd gotten around to reading Faulkner. What might he made of him?

farts

>prefers Horace to Virgil
Based

no it's not you retard

>stable

>He admired Gide, The Pastoral Symphony or Lafcadio's Adventures, but not what he had written about Russia, which Joyce considered slight and sentimental. As for Corydon--he looked toward the sky, with the look he would assume when he meant to mock the universe. "Will you explain to me how an intelligent man could have written that?"
kek

You mean yours.

Was Melville already as revered as now at the time he said that?

>Italian literature begins and ends with Dante.
BUUURNED

Which Jacobsen does he mean?

Where is a nice place to start, if I wanna get into Faulkners short stories or poetry?

I don't think so. From what I know, Moby Dick gained traction/fame specially after WW2 (a lot of it given the parallels with Ahab/Hitler).
So my guess would be that Joyce probably never even heard of it. And if Melville was any close to being as well regarded back then as he is right now, I think Joyce would at least say "I don't like it", as he feels inclined to do with DH Lawrence.

I guess I need actual sources, but am too lazy rn, sorry.

>tfw have not read any writers Joyce regarded as bad

>He's already penetrated the Veeky Forums zeitgeist this far

probably he would have thought that faulkner wrote boring, corncobby chronicles

>Mixed Reception: Gide
>"[Gide is] the only French writer, or indeed the only modern writer, whom I ever heard him admire with any real enthusiasm"
>But "will you explain to me how an intelligent man could have written [Corydon]?"

lol

Jens Peter

>one of the greatest masterpieces of Germany
>Germany
>masterpieces