Eh

Eh
Do I really need to read 600 more pages? I think I got the idea

yes

Yeah it's a very samey book. Cut your losses.

And the idea is?...

I say that if an author doesn't go out of their way to show you SOMETHING in the first 100 pages- charm you, amuse you, inspire you, whatever- they simply don't have the talent. Either that or the novel is no longer relevant, having lost all novelty for whatever reason, which I believe is the case for GR. I've yet to have someone name a good novel that starts so slow.

I found the giant adenoid quite amusing, and the idea of Pirate's banana breakfast charming

Read up pleb

The former was the only time I smiled during the first 100, true... hard disagree on the second

Is Veeky Forums finally turning on GR?

Nobody dares say it but it's a horrible read.

Don't look for consensus on an anonymous image board, especially one concerning a hobby that values free thinking and individuality. It's always been this way, and any apparent consensus is purely dumb luck based on who's posting at the moment.

At some points, yes, but there are also bretty good parts
OP, the book starts being a lot more readable at 180~ pages

>the book starts being a lot more readable at 180~ pages
what a complete waste of time.

Are you legally retarded? Really? Do you not appreciate art?

>being into literature with an utilitarian mindset
What a turbopleb

> "I think I got the idea"
> implying the next 600 pages aren't the best parts

Way to miss out on the hot air balloon chase with custard pies, the giant octopus on the French coastline and all the cheeky songs.

Saying that, if you're not into it in the first 200-300 pages, then you're not really going to like the rest of it anyway. I love it but I get it's not easy going.

Wrong.

I'm gonna say no. Pynchon's books have a fractal nature to them, so that by reading any part of the book you are essentially getting the entire thing.

Take for example the one-paragraph story about the wizard harvesting mandragora, or Byron the Bulb. Do these not contain the essence of the entire book in them?

I didn't say it lacked meaning.or depth; I said it was a horrible read.

Did you triggered or some shit?

Me? No.

I like other Pynchon books, just not Gravity's Rainbow. Are we not allowed to have different opinions?

Not at all.

I'd given up on IJ by 200 pages in too. if I'm not enjoying a book why would I carry on?