Hard magic system

I've been thinking of creating a hard magic system with faith as its driving force (something around the idea of "human creates a God through faith and then obtains a connection with the supernatural though his/her existence", materialization and tulpa phenomenon). Do you think it would work? Have you seen something similar before? How do you imagine it would work like? What failures or difficulties do you see in the concept?

I use that power to create bad stuff in my relationships, because i couldnt stand losing someone in full attachment mode, i need it to be tainted and damaged.

nick stop drinking and go to fucking bed

Fuck off Steve.

I like cheese

You can't just create magic systems you tool. My tulpa only exists because I had irrevocable desires both to express my femininity and join with femininity. Yet even then, she is subdued because I cannot and am even afraid of subduing myself and releasing her and thus sharing a body.
If I, somebody trained and experienced, cannot do that, what makes you think you can do this?

I think OP is talking about writing fantasy.

That's even worse. It's not even creative.

Some fellas already did it. They call it "the Bible".

Why do you think so?

not that guy but he's clearly a schizo.

Nope, you're just a STEMsperg.

Nick... You gotta stop hurting her! She's too naive and trusting!

people who focus on "magic systems" in books are annoyingly trying to gamify fantasy literature into some kind of rulebook. or, worse, giving magic the aspects of science because they cannot comprehend the idea of a world without logical thinking.

That accusation would be a quite good point of conflict for a plot. Factions that see magic as something rigid and systemic, and others who concieve magic as aethereal, dynamic and essentiality limitless and unpredictable. Don't you think?

YOU LIVE, YOU GET HURT. ITS THE GAME.

yeah it could be a historical reenactment of how i kicked all those nerds asses from when they spent all their time coming up with magic systems instead of writing a decent story with characters

You need to chill a little

I'm clearly not an erudite or an intellectual, but I have the will to write something respectable (a goal most people don't have), so I'd love if my thread was taken with more seriousness. You're smart guys, please give me good advice.

> I have the will to write something respectable (a goal most people don't have)
Your motivation is so shit. Confirmed never gonna make it. You lack narcisism.

/x for occultism
reddit for genre fiction

It could but how can you make magic rigid and systemic? It takes away all... All the magic from it. It becomes science instead, that way.

>MUH STEM
Not that guy but fuck off. You didn't give a reason for 'not even creative', what's creative in literature then? If not fantasy/sci-fi, then nothing can be.

I'm pretty sure the purpose of magic systems is consistency and immersion. Easy to to just hand-wave magic shit, for the purposes of artificially directing the story, thereby making it meaningless, weightless, and unenjoyable. It's the same as making a character unkillable, omniscient, inhuman, etc. You need grounding. I think simplistic 'systems' work best, room for unspecified possibility but wholly grounded and consistent.

>what's creative in literature then? If not fantasy/sci-fi, then nothing can be.

this sort of thing is why you genre fags are not taken seriously by anyone. you confuse "fantastical" with "creative" and conclude that a fantasy novel must be the most creative of all because it has the most dragons when the most obvious failing of fantasy fiction is of course how resigned it is to producing nothing but tedious permutations of an established catalog of fantastical concepts. guys, what if it was like dnd but the rules for spellcasting would be slightly different and the dragons would be made of like... crystal. or moss. moss dragons. a crystal wyvern fights a moss dragon. it spends ten faith points to cast a spell. it's a fireball, of faith.

Nigga that's soft magic

I love that "the magic system needs to have rules" quote is by Orson Scott Card, a man no one should listen to on the subject of fantasy.