Why haven't you read the Bhagavad Gita?

Why haven't you read the Bhagavad Gita?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1vgGkWGcnQk
youtube.com/watch?v=rAM9x_GF9VY
archive.org/details/Griffith...FourVedas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't read Nazi books

>Heinrich Himmler, SS Reichsführer, military commander, and a leading member of the Nazi Party always had a copy of the Bhagavad Gita at his disposal. He admired Gita's teaching that one should do one's duty—however terrible—without attachment.

I'd read her so hard.

Hinduism is demonology for me, being christian it's forbidden stuff.

I've read chapters two and three. Bhaktivinoda Thakura says chapter 2 is a summary of the whole book.

But Jesus Christ was an incarnation of Krishna.

Retards of this generation do not have the persistence and patience to read through a dense, yet remarkable piece of work like the Gita

>He admired Gita's teaching that one should do one's duty—however terrible—without attachment.
I've only read the first three pages and even I know that's wrong. Duty above self doesn't mean without attachment.

The Bhagavad Gita is one of the great Lovecraftian classics

>I've only read the first three pages

Detached violence is a recurring theme.
It's what allows Arjuna to kill his family.

fuck off you fucking /pol/ faggot
millenials need to be rounded up into camps

you must have no attachment, that is the type of karma yoga that is displayed in the work. You are not even attached to the promise of positive merit for the completion of your duty, and thus you transcend the cycle of karmic accumulation.

Actual attractive indians are such a rare commodity.

>Arjuna you have to kill your family and friends
>but i don't want to, because if i do then no one will be left to take care of the land
>do it anyway
>ok

Wow, what a fountain of wisdom

>attractive indian
>looks white
oh wait thats the whole point lmao
life gets really funny when you realize every propped example of beauty is measure by the extent it partakes in 'whiteness' european features- sharp light defined ahhhh

I don't disagree but let's not turn this thread into that

i wonder if perhaps that could have anything to do with the fact that whites are objectively more attractive than any other race?

I have read it. It’s just a shallow justification for the caste system.

>beauty
>objective
nice

It's racist. It literally uses the phrase Varna (caste) Sankara (mixing) to describe social chaos.

Yes.

Any book you like can be reduced down to a retarded frogpost to, it says nothing about the quality of anything at all.

Seriously though, it's a really good book.

Pray you do not argue that's a bad thing.

a wise man once said "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" lol

That's how you end up with shit like this

I don't read gypsy trash

I will when I'm done with Christianity and Judaism, but honestly there's a lot to get through! Maybe by next year. Hinduism is legitimately my next project, no joke.

t. retard

>obviously any book read by any Nazi is a Nazi book.

You cannot be this dumb, right? You're just trolling, right?

>Hinduism is legitimately my next project, no joke.
Thanks for the update!

Being Christian never forbade you from reading certain books, you dimwit.

Believe it or not I talked to some catholic exorcists and they gave me a booklet, that is like a guide for families who have possessed relatives or suspect so.
It's written to damn beware from eastern religions because there is a lot of demonology involved, and they are passed to westerners without proper warnings. They include Buddhism in this and a particular mention to Transcendental Meditation, where according to them you are given mantras that are demonic summonings.

Sounds like basic "We are right, they are wrong" sort of stuff. It's common to strawman the fuck out of peceived enemies.

>what is Index Librorum Prohibitorum
Not the Gita tho. You also don't need to worry about it right now.

Well do you think being Christian is a fucking joke?

They must be Aryan (at least some of them)

It’s a book of Aryan wisdom. No wonder it inspired one of the greatest Europeans to carry out such a righteous task. Pic related

I said "Being Christian," papist.

How are these chants demonic? I've been studying such chants, and when translated from the Pali or Sanskrit or what have you there is, at least for Buddhism, next to no reference to any demons or summoning any spirits.

Jesus Christ the whole thing is like 50 pages dude.

What chants? Are you in TM?
Buddhism doesn't come in one flavour, anyway. There are lots of different schools and sects. You just can't refer to Buddhism as one thing.
The warnings were explicitly towards TM anyway.

Genuinely thought it was some Jap before reading the text

Why haven't you read the Rig Veda?

Because its religious basis has no relevancy in my life? Give me a cute poo-in-loo girlfriend and I'd do something about that, but that hardly seems like a likely development.

I know the whole thing is just 700 ślokas divided into 18 chapters. But i have the prabhupada version with original sanskrit, synonyms, translation and a purport usually three or more pages long

But I have

Just read the Gita
Can anyone tell me if the Ramayana is any fun?

I have, a few times. And abridged versions of the other major Hindu works (minus the Ramayana).

I generally find the Buddhist thinkers of greater interest, but I don't think I've read a sutra as poetically beautiful as the Gita yet. Trying to into Jainism now to round things out.

I'm Hindu and I haven't read the Gita.
Should I?

Yes. You definitely should.
It is short, and it may transform your inner life for the better.

buddhism has to much slave morality resentment in it, "oh sure that rich guy with the hot wife might look happy but believe me...he's SUFFERING!" why would i want to follow an ideology that takes pleasure in pointing out everyone's suffering

I have a children's version with illustration that is def fun, but mainly it's very very long in the adult format.
Think Srimad Bhagavatam. You don't regret having read it, but fuck it become a full time job for a couple of years.

>millennials calling millennials millennials
Please, let this meme die already.

But I have, at least three times.

Reading the William Buck version at the moment, its a lot of fun. Great mix of serious theology and silliness. At points I get the feeling that if Schopenhauer ever wrote a children's book it would feel like some episodes of the Ramayana.

Also theres a great series from the 80's on youtube of the epic. Very cozy to watch, I highly recommend it.

youtube.com/watch?v=1vgGkWGcnQk

Because the names are stupid. I can't be bothered to remember any names other than those of Greek (fine, Roman too) mythology.

Is it true that the names of Arjuna's enemies he faces off against correspond with personal vices, like greed and lust etc?

I can't remember where I read that, but big if true.

I have read it. Also the Vedas.

They are pretty good. Very philosophically advanced to be foundational texts for a religion tbqhwyfam.

I think you're overstating this because you're caught up on the word "suffering." In Pali, the word is dukkha, which means something more like "dissatisfaction." The religion is about alleviating dukkha, so I don't know how you could interpret it as taking pleasure in it.

Yes, there is happiness in he world. There are people who are happy. It's not saying "he's really SUFFERING," it's saying that his source of happiness won't help alleviate his dukkha. His wife won't last forever, his wealth won't last forever. He'll die someday. People he cares about will die someday. Things he enjoys and takes comfort in will change and pass away. Is it not fair that he gets to enjoy more than you do right now? Yes. So? Suck it up and learn to stop desiring if you don't want to feel so jealous and resentful.

This is what I find interesting about Buddhism. While it is by all means a religion with revered figures and lots of language of love and devotion, so much of its core is just a kind of system for dealing with unhappiness, like stoicism in the west. The Gita has a lot more of a personal relationship with the divine in the spirit of Christianity.

Also please note that finding it interesting doesn't mean I buy into it all the way or am speaking as a follower.

Read the fucking book you dolt. Detachment is a massive theme.

Cool photo. Are those the best translations? Where can I find Rig Veda online?

>for a religion

>Are those the best translations?
It's the only complete English translation written in the past hundred years. Unfortunately, they priced it at 500$ meaning that only institutions and wealthy individuals can afford it.

>Where can I find Rig Veda online?
I'm not certain.

>I said "Being Christian," papist.
t. Independent Fundemental KJV only aptist nia

There's also a popular animated version

youtube.com/watch?v=rAM9x_GF9VY

>Physical Brereton Rig Veda
Damn nigga, how did you afford those?

>Where can I find Rig Veda online?
archive.org/details/Griffith...FourVedas
That's a really old translation though.

Thanks.

test

i have desu

I dove in a year ago, head over heels. Into "this stuff", I mean. I needed to read through Manly Hall, Dion Fortune, Israel Regardie, Aleister Crowley, Eliphas Levi the Grimoires, listen to every discussion on the stuff I could find, while practicing actively. The Bhagavad Gita just didn't make the cut, that year.

Now, that I've gotten my bases covered, I basically know how to do this stuff, I'm going back and looking at the more philosophical and mystical stuff, like the Tao Te Ching, I'm going to read the Bhagavad Gita, this year. I actually got over my grudge-like disregard for East-of-Iran divination, magick and mysticism.

If you are reading it without one of the Vedanta commentaries you are doing it wrong tbqh

A lot of mystical fluff
Why not just read the Dhammapada or one of the dhamma talks of the great forest ajahns?