archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfHPLovecraft_201412
youtube.com/watch?v=aFZrqYn5f_0
pastebin.com/8eYNVAUe
williamscorner.blog/.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sci fi now is missing br2049 qt3.14s

reminder that fantasy is shit and you're retarded for liking it

I disagree.

Under fairytale for your flowchart I would swap Gregory MacGuire for John Connolly's Book of Lost things. A far superior book in every conceivable way.

>whuh happen
Nothing - they all look like shit except whoever the fuck that is from Star Trek. Also, Firefly sucked.

Should I bother to read books written by women or will I waste my time?

Sonequa is cute at least.

Hey I've never read sci fi before but I've been mapping out a novel for the past year or so and it's grown to the point where it would definitely qualify as 'sci fi' before anything else. I'm making this judgment just off of tv and movies in the genre.

What are some good examples of pop sci fi novels that can give me a general sense of what's poppin in the niche?

>What happened?
The (((producers))) needed to add more diversity to their films. Remember to celebrate diversity and start reading books written by blacks!

Ursula K. Le Guin is better than most male fantasy writers. She gets really close to being full scale Veeky Forums rather than just genre fiction.

>Reading some Boomer liberal.
Lol no thanks.

Nice try, Ursula's ghost. You were fantasoy before fantasoy was a thing.

haha /pol/acks are so cute and adorable.

Yohoho

Most fiction is shit, doesn't make people retarded for liking it. (Liking the bad stuff does, but that applies to all genres)

Webnovels are novels too

sanderfag a hack

lich going around subjugating human females and elves book series when?

What's something genuinely fucked up that a female character can go through that doesn't involve rape?

What about webnovels that are translations of obscure Japanese mecha LNs?
I've read at least one of those whose overall story was endearing and whose writing wasn't half bad most of the time.

Soon, user. Soon.

And rest eternally assured that the will be boner puns.

Miscarriage

what one?

Regarding fantasy tetralogies — is there some curse where the reader enjoys the first book, but then hits a wall at the beginning of the second? I'm thinking of T.H. White's "The Once and Future King" and Genre Wolfe's BotNS specifically. All is well and gravy for the first, spirited adventure ... then nothing.

For BotNS, I couldn't figure out what the hell happened after the end of Shadow — where did best waifu go? Are they in a jungle? Why is Sev. all buddy-buddy with Jonas? How much time has passed, and what the fuck happened? I can't even remember why I quit TOaFK, but it was probably because new characters were introduced without any immediate continuity.

Is that only because of the self-hatred that comes along with the female viewing her body/self being unable to bear children? Or could the loss of child be enough to fuck someone up without being too cliche?

Mobile Suit Gundam: Twilight Axis
Don't watch the adaptation, its awful in every way except for the art and music.

It depends on the character. It could be traumatic for many reasons.

eggcellent.

psychological torment.

more rape

Where do I start with Foundation?

at the foundation

So I should just ignore the prequels?

The end of Shadow is confusing for everyone. There have been entire threads trying to figure out what exactly happened and what was significant about it. Something about aliens escaping the city

Just power past it for the first few chapters, and it'll go smoothly from then on.

>be 19
>Have ideas
>wanna write
>if I try to write fantasy/fiction it'll be passable but it will essentially be bad genre fiction
>if I try to write my modern day tragedy it will just be plain shit

Fuck it hurts

Brain damage

The dashing of an expected prophecy — as in, the female thinks that she is special (for some reason or another) and is then swiftly replaced by a prettier/more intelligent/well-loved female.

you're 19 and clearly a retard, don't beat yourself up about being a bad writer because you lack the IQ to do anything well just like most people

Not him, but are you saying it's normal for people to be retards or for 19 year olds to be?

both
being 19 exacerbates the retardation as well so not only are 19 year olds retarded, they're 10 times as retarded as most normal retards

Brandon Sanderson's books are to literature what Skyrim is to videogames.

He somehow manages not to excel at any facet of his work. To borrow from Bloom, he has no discernible talent. His dialogue is stilted and uninteresting. His characters feel more like plot-convenient afterthoughts than people. The plots themselves are generic filler, somehow managing to be even less interesting than million get-to-the-end-of-the-dungeon quests of Skyrim. His prose is "workmanlike" or "inoffensive" (read: shit) in the way that combat in Skyrim is "inoffensive". I challenge Sanderson fans (?) to name one thing that he does better than passably: one single thing he is actually good at.

The most common response to this is Sanderson's worldbuilding. Like Skyrim his worlds impress you at first with their scale and detail, but even this is quickly revealed to be flat and cliched. How many times can Sanderson get away with his utterly inane caste-system-attempting-to-be-some-kind-of-political-allegory?

>but muh magic system
Even if you're a fan of the sub-genre consisting of explaining everything about magic until it ceases to be magic (why would you be?), Brandon Sanderson does not do this particularly well. His magic basically devolves into people flying around and hitting each other because Sanderson (and his fans (?)) think this is the height of entertainment. People describe his works as anime but it should be specified that it's the anime aimed primarily at 10 year old japanese boys (yum).

>muh cosmere
Fans (?) of Sanderson think of him as some kind of genius and of his books as some kind of unified masterpiece because "it happens in the same universe xd". The "co-smere" is the shitsmear on the toilet-bowl which is his writing. Sanderson insults his readers (?) by using a gimmick originally conceived to sell capeshit with lacklustre tie-ins.

>B-But he writes fast
More evidence of him being a shit writer. It takes time to write and all the best fantasy authors spend a long time on their works to ensure we get the highest quality (see for example Rothfuss).

>you haven't even read all his books
No shit. I've read enough to make a judgement.

The only possible justification for people reading his mediocre works that I can think of is a desperate attempt to fill in the hours between now and the time they die. At least Skyrim has loli/shota(yum) mods. The fact that Sanderson's target audience is 14 year old mormons stops him on this front too.

Read BoTNS

Read online: www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx
E-book: archive.org/details/TheCompleteWorksOfHPLovecraft_201412 (including like 30 additional stories)
Audio: youtube.com/watch?v=aFZrqYn5f_0

Why not plain old torture?

Yeah, you can read them later if you like the original book/trilogy.

Good story

what whomst do I read after the book of the new sun? I have more gene wolfe ordered but i'm curious as to what other Veeky Forums sci-fi memes I should check out, is too like the lightning as good as they say?

In one of the first chapters of the Broken Earth book, the main character discovers that her son has been killed by her husband. That part was very well written and emotionally gripping.
The rest of the book was pretty much a mixed bag in many regards, but that was one remarkable part.

i liked 'too like the lightning' but there's a massive emphasis on 18th century philosophy and theology, so you should go for it if you want to read about that. pacing is a little off but that improves a lot in the sequel. the author ada palmer is also a big gene wolfe fan and i enjoyed the big unsubtle shout out to 'book of the new sun' in her 'seven surrenders'.

another philosophy-heavy meme book is 'the thing itself' by adam roberts. i enjoyed it.

'blindsight' by watts is a big meme on here but i haven't read it.

5th Head of Cerberus
Long Sun/Short Sun
Warrior of the Fog

Haven't read Lightning

Blindsight is philosophical, scientific and meme camp at the same time. Hard to get a grip on it but I liked it.

>cherrypicking
>implying Sonequa and Dominique Tipper aren't top QTs

I've just gotten into reading again and finished a star trek book. Should I read the night land? Izzit any good?

I hope it was A Stitch in Time, otherwise you wasted it.

what did you even just say
go fucking read Hyperion or something I don't even know what to say to you

It was the section 31 voyager book

p good but I havent read many books so I dont know what to compare it to

I read a snippet of too like the lightning and the prose seems to be lacking in depth and pretentious at the same time, it's not even flowery or stylish, it just seems shit to me. Vapid, in a word. A metaphor she uses in the first chapter was something like 'he smiled like a mother with a child hiding behind her leg on the first day of school' which is unoriginal as you can possibly get, not sure I want to read what i'm assuming is 1000 pages of that tripe especially when it's pretty expensive even used

Maybe i'll pick it up when you can get a copy for a couple quid. (Not that spending a tenner on a book will bankrupt me but considering you can get 10 books for a tenner on ebay i'm not going to buy it and ebooks are shit)

I'll check out blindsight though

We're shilling these three too much my dude, is there any other contemporary philosophy realistic scifi out there?

ted chiang's short stories maybe? not so ostentatious about the philosophy as those ones. i haven't often read sci-fi that is so overtly about philosophy at the expense of plot and characterisation.

>TFW Writing my novel opening.
>It starts with the Main character waking up
>Try to rewrite it because it would never be accepted by a publisher
>Realize I can't do to it being a crux of the novel's theme
Do I continue /sffg/ or do I quit?

give up

just let the i ching decide

"dude, i ching, lmao"
- philip k dick

Yeah I've ploughed through Chiang, good writer, if a little slow.

Literally do this

You fucked up the previous thread lists you newfag.

The Too Like the Lightning author is a Wolfefag and Wolfe inspired the books. If you've already gotten bored of TLTL I would also avoid buying anything by Gene Wolfe and Jack Vance unless it's Demon Princes.

Maybe i'm too quick to judge tbqh as I love the book of the new sun and literally only read one chapter of too like the lightning but who knows

Inspired by Wolfe doesn't mean the prose approaches the quality of Wolfe.

I'd definitely read BOTNS first. I'm not by the way, but every book mentioned in these threads are super easy to pirate or generally download (book reading can cost in the order of several thousand dollars a year. Really, really expensive).

If you don't like BOTNS skip to Blindsight. TLTL's opening few chapters are pretty indicative of the rest of the boon with the exclusion of the socrat-esque dialogue (you're probably familiar with this sort of format if you've tried experimental scifi before) but the big plot twist happens about half way through the book and before that I almost dropped it, but the twist made me read all the subsequent books one after the other. Anyway, life is too short to waste on shit books, read the ones you like and dump the ones you hate.

It's not just a Wolfe hybrid. Probably best described by Wolfe + Jacques the Fatalist + Alfred Bester, though.

user has already read BOTNS

yeah this is pretty accurate

The lead actress from that show based on the Sword of Truth series was a fucking 10/10.

Disenfranchisement.

How is this relevant?

Opinions on A Wrinkle In Time? Thinking of reading it again, last time I read I was around 8 or 9, so I doubt I'll like it as much as I did as a child.

Any novels with a little girl protag?

Or any novels where the protag has a flower for an eye?

>has a flower for an eye?
just post the name of the anime, bad enough you're a degenerate but a coward too? for shame

A man sitting next to her on a subway and slightly spreading his legs to relieve the pressure of his balls being squished.

Anyone wanna read some sci-fi i'm working on out of boredom? I don't want to write out the plot but I think (hope) that you'll be able to maybe get the gist of it from what i've written down so far.

I haven't edited it properly yet as i'm just jotting down ideas I have when they arrive but I will say that the narrative is supposed to be the way it is.

For a slight bit of context, one character is documenting the world and one character is 'exploring' it

pastebin.com/8eYNVAUe

>just post the name of the anime
Drakengard 3 isn't really anime, pretty degenerate though.

the thing is that literally every fantasy is "the bad stuff"

I liked His Dark Materials trilogy when I was 13.

I'm 29 so maybe I'll pass on that.

Am I a degenerate for liking these books? Also third book when?

third book in november or december. 3 other works come before that. first a new series starts called dungeon deposed under william set to release in march. then 3 months after that super sales 3 also under william. and then 3 months after that wild wastes 3 under randi.

It might still be good, I just never reread it. I'm sure it's better than most YA fantasy.

i also like them user. even if you remove the smut the story is interesting. petra is best girl.

forgot to mention between super sales and dungeon deposed theres supposed to be a new series under randi under the working title women collection which is only a project title. not much is known.

Wow...
I didn't expect to enjoy this series so much.
The attention to engineering detail is really fascinating
Why Haven't you read Daniel Black as yet?
williamscorner.blog/.

Thanks to the shill who recommending confessions of a D List Superhero, it was great fun. Very similar to Super Sales on Super Heroes.
Would recommend to anyone who wants a quick one day read.

To the shill. Do you have anything similar? I loved most the "tech" aspect. I just love technology.

Because that cover is ugly as hell.

I found the most memed books at a thrift store for a couple bucks each. So... Which do i read first?

Lies of Locke Lamora since it works as a standalone

What is your fucking problem?

C-can women wield longswords??

Loss

Lies of Locke Lamora, easily

Can they wield one? Yes. Are they good at using it? No.

Yes you are a degenerate.

do any of you guys have a subscription to a sci fi magazine? is a subscription to Analog or Asimov worth it? which is better?