Have you read ancient ideas about color?

Have you read ancient ideas about color?

Very cool that the Greeks did not have a word for blue, that Aristotle and Plato thought all color derived Yellow and Red and had lots of words for just those two colors.

Anyone read about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

pnas.org/content/109/18/6819
businessinsider.com.au/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>the Greeks did not have a word for blue
what did they call it then

You would enjoy On Being Blue, by William Gass.

they didn't see it faggot

They considered it shades of other colors. Chinese is the same, blue and green were considered two shades of the same color until they made contact with English.

Look up articles about colors in The Odyssey. Some brainlets think there were algae in the Greek water that made it look different, because they can't wrap their brainlet heads around language like "wine dark sea" and "bronze sky"

uh bro they called it the wine-dark sea. they lived in an archipelago that reflected ocean and sky, which is blue.

post sources to back up your claim greeks did not understand blue

also pic related. a book that might be of interest, if you can perceive the colors in the image and make out any information.

Not all languages have the same number of "basic color terms" as we do.In natural languages they actually arise in a relatively fixed order, with a minimum of 2 (light vs dark). pnas.org/content/109/18/6819

jesus christ I didn't say they didn't understand blue Fucking retard

Read Plato and Aristotle, both of whom had theories about color.

Have you ever imagined what the world looked like before you knew anything about it?

>not posting sources
okay buddy

/thread

no. i have memories of being an preliterate infant. the world was perceived, sure. i recognized blue, but i didn't particularly dwell on it. emotions and other sensory inputs were stronger than fine visual distinction.

An interesting phenomenon. Someone mentioned China, but they didn't mention that brown was unnamed there until meeting the English too. They did not see brown as a color itself, but as a shade of orange or yellow (in some cases orange was also just a shade of yellow). That is why the word for brown in Chinese is literally "coffee color" (and orange is "orange[fruit] color").
The easiest representation of a brownless China is the common phrase "the yellow earth"

wine

Learn about colour throughout history and linguistic relativity. Basically: colours don't get unique names and are considered a shade of a broader colour (blue is always a shade of black, for example), until words for them are created, usually as these 'colours' become more common, especially as distinct objects themselves rather than a component of something. Like, you might consider a given colour to be an aspect of a particular animal, but if you have a readily-available dye for that colour, then the colour itself is the object. No longer an aspect, requiring a distinct word. Even then, it's not an imperative, many advanced cultures didn't go beyond 3 colours + lightness/darkness. The standard set of colours that you tend to find in most languages now, are only there due to Europeans, often the imposition of European notions onto others. Even when a language 'gets a colour', it may be that it only used/understood by a small part of society, such as painters/artisans. It's not that they saw things differently, just their way of expressing and thinking about those things was different. Also, often instead of colours one would use referential characteristics to describe the colour and texture of something, rather than a standalone colour. This is important because instead of a simple word, you get indirect, metaphorical, allegorical, and referential descriptions.

Read "Through the Language Glass".

>They did not see brown as a color itself, but as a shade of orange or yellow
Isn't that literally what it is though?

I read they described the sea as "wine dark" but someone probably said that ITT already.

Same here, I also remember struggling with separating shape from colour.

and the sky as silver

>mfw Veeky Forums reads all the same reddit posts

Color is irrelevant.

>Isn't that literally what it is though?

There are no "literal" identity of colors, you could argue any color is just a shade of another color

>our ability to discern the seperate identity of objects is irrelevant

Stop being a pseud

Is it normal that I can't see the thing ?

You’re colorblind, there’s a 74 among the dots. There’s a bunch of tests for it online, take one.

not trolling but you're probably actually colorblind

Matisse always annoys me. I always get the feeling he was a sexless elderly man his entire life, painting tame and boring erotic scenes while someone like Picasso actually fucked a shitload of girls and knew what he was painting about.

This. Guy Deutscher sparked my interest in linguistics.

'bronze' was also used

>They considered it shades of other colors. Chinese is the same, blue and green were considered two shades of the same color until they made contact with English.

But blue and green are obviously different colors. I can understand the Chinese thinking they aren't because they can't see well, but the Greeks? They must be brainlets.

>But blue and green are obviously different colors.

There's no objective thing as "different colors" in this way

>Non-Slavs thing Cyan is a shade of Blue

Smh

>sources

Here ya go pal: businessinsider.com.au/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2

are you stupid?

No actually I haven't, take your degenerate faggot art and leave

I remember reading how they described the blue sky as being the color of rust on copper.

>tfw i thought it was 24