Who is the literary equivalent of David Lynch?

Who is the literary equivalent of David Lynch?

Kafka?

Any surreal author.

Lynch is all-style no-substance shallow obscurantist fluff for pseuds who think art is about being wowed by surreal visual effects, so probably either Finnegans Wake or (depending on your opinion, and despite having some actual content to his fluff here and there by accident) Samuel Beckett, who incidentally sucked the dick of the guy who wrote Finnegans Wake.

You could also try Pynchon, if you want middlebrow shit that pseuds force themselves to think they like because they were told it's supposed to be prestigious.

>not falling in love with the characters of Twin Peaks

Buddy, one day you'll wake up and see the light.

Unironically Murakami.

Something awful.

It's appalling that Lynch himself says his entourage always talks him into toning his garbage down just enough so it can pass as something other than dadaist garbage, nonchalantly says it in the middle of a narcissistic rant about his divine creative process, and his fans take it as FURTHER proof of his genius.

Lost Highway was good tho.

So were Blue Velvet and Elephant Man

Absolute plebian, although you're right about Pynchon

Oh yeah Blue Velvet was nice as well and Elephant Man is probably gonna be the same.
Actually I might watch today since you reminded me.

WTF is with his meditation shit? It seems like an actual cult

Daily reminder his midget actor literally accused him of RAPE, HOMICIDE, and SUICIDAL IDEATION

Its just stupid nu-age mysticism

How are we supposed to take that ?

> Pynchon
> prestigious
> not the literary equivalent of Looney Tunes

I don't think you've read any of what you're talking about and I don't think you've watched much David Lynch if you didn't fall in love with the characters of Twin Peaks, Wild At Heart, The Straight Story or Elephant Man.

yeah but Michael also got blacklisted because he's a fucking madman

Henri Bosco

But he's saying that Lynch didn't do any of those things.

/thread

>Beckett
>No substance

I suppose if you're a total idiot who watched a Lynch film without intellectually engaging with it in any way then read Finnegans Wake and Beckett while doing the same you'd be kinda right.

Maybe Lemderssen. I guess there are similarities with Pynchon and Kafka. Otherwise, some of the recent(ish) Greeks like Gratamides or Halophinakis are pretty close, too.

Eh, Lynch isn't that heavy with visual effects compared to his contemporaries/imitators. He is also obviously influenced by Kafka's storytelling which CAN seem vague and stylized sure but those details add up to make the scenes immersive beyond just the story, rather than spoonfeeding the audience, which seems to be what you want. Watch the Straight Story in that case.

Lynch tells a great story, gets great shots, usually has compelling characters, then, waiting excitedly anticipating the end: He drops all the ideas he was juggling, takes them, and goes home. I HATE THIS MAN SO MUCH. He gets me all excited, only to mock me in the most pretentious, edgy fashion possible. Fucking him! Mulhallond Drive, Blue Velvet, another one I forgot the name of: it happens every time. I can't think of any authors who do this, he's definitely trying to be french--without the actual sophistication, so maybe one of their duds

There's a French author, Julia Deck, who started publishing around five years ago. I think her first two books, "Viviane Elisabeth Fauville" and "Triangle d'Hiver" have been published in translation. There's a similar feeling to Lynch of identity confusion. Also, writers like Borges or Cortazar, or maybe Kobo Abe - "The Ruined Map" - have elements of that weird version of noir/hardboiled that's him at his best.

with tabloid curiosity and entertainment

STOB BEING MWEAN WIT FINNEGANS WAKE