How loudly is the clock ticking for you Veeky Forums?

How loudly is the clock ticking for you Veeky Forums?

Are you starting to fear that you'll never published your debut before the age of 30?

I definitely won't, but very few writers (comparatively) have ever published really worthwhile work before 30 anyway.

Not the point. Getting your name in print is the necessary first step and will likely make publishers more eager to publish whatever comes next. Plus there are no downsides to published before 30, as you can dismiss any criticism by claiming you were too young, while basking in the glory of any praise ("precocious" "wise beyond her years" etc)

You are being too frantic, sweating in your seat trying to get published. Just write good stuff.

>"Don't worry honey, just wait until you're retired and then give being the next Van Gogh a shot!"

Its going pretty good, have a solid novel idea going

If I ever publish it will be under a different pen name for each book. It would be worse to be known than to go unpublished.

You'll only create an enigma of yourself that will make people want to know you even more

This isn't a viable strategy. Publishers rely on reputations, and without linking these names somehow (as with JK Rowling and her detective dude) nobody will give a fuck.

The most important thing an aspiring writer can do is prepare a self-mythology to attract potential readers (born into a broken home, outsider all my life, shitty jobs, period of unemployment, evidence of struggle etc) and to maintain a consistent, flawless aesthetic (very few photographs of yourself online, but making sure they are all high quality).

HAHA your life is going to be rough.

>and to maintain a consistent, flawless aesthetic (very few photographs of yourself online, but making sure they are all high quality).

Houellebecq disproves this

I legitimately don't know if my writing is good or not so I have no idea. It'll happen when it happens I guess.

>publishing before the age of 30
what kind of dirty pleb are you?

Why sweetie?

Some of us like Mozart have such exploding IQ and talent we should be published at 16

Houellebecq is very careful about his image. If you can't appreciate this, you're a naive fanboy.

Find me ONE photograph of Houellebecq laughing or even smiling in an enthusiastic manner. He curates his images to target a specific audience, i.e. virgin males like you!

I'm not necessarily saying it wont work, Over analyzing everything might just get you there, its going to be rough though, mainly because you are setting yourself up for greatness with the expectation of greatness. This isn't necessarily bad but the fall if you DON'T make it is what is going to be rough. Joyce never "tried" to write in his life. I don't want to be discouraging.

>implying people under 30 have anything to write about
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.

Not the point bucko, and also Buddenbrooks was Mann's best work published at age 26. Confederarcy of Dunces was finished by the age of 27, etcccccccccccccccccc

It's mainly that writers prove their worth by publishing young and establishing their claim to talent and fame. Waiting until your 35 to publish something is pointless.

It doesn’t bother me because at 22 I am already published. I am more worried about being ashamed of my early work now, and I’ve been putting twice as much effort into stuff before I even consider seeking publication.

Rushing to publish subpar work that will be connected to you forever, before the age of 30 is also irresponsible. Also no one is saying that if you have master level material before the age of 30 you should wait. But that kind of stuff rarely appears. Keats was already set up for immortality at age 25. But those geniuses are rare.

Yes, yes, good goy!, wait until old age to put your name in print.

>Joyce never "tried" to write in his life.
I agree with all your other points, but this is definitely not true

I'm over 30 and don't want to be a novelist, so, no great concerns.

literature is not music, you have nothing interesting to say at 16, doesn't matter your IQ

nobody is saying anything about waiting, you should TRY to write something publishable before 30, but you should have enough taste to recognize it's shit and burn it instead of sending it and taint your name forever

yes, there are exceptions

It isn't ticking for me. I'm only concerned with creating something of merit, I'm not buying into the "young genius" ratrace.
If I manage to publish anything of value before I die that's more than most will manage.

>still caring about being published in the year 2018

There's nothing to gain desu. I don't respect the publishing industry enough to have their approval mean something to me.

>yes, there are exceptions

Understatement of the century right here folks. For every ten well-respected writers who published before the age of 30 (and that's old for most) there is only one who published their debut after that age.

Tell me your top 5 writers and I guarantee most if not all would have published something by 30.

>tfw 19
>tfw plenty of time to improve and possibly get published
I'm sending out manuscripts pretty much just to collect rejection letters. I don't really expect to see my name in print before 25 at the earliest, if ever. No rush here.

Loudly. I'm almost 27.

But I didn't know I wanted to be a published author until I was 25, so...

This should be a given for any Veeky Forums user who has any self-respect.

Contemporary publishing is a fucking mess. The best we can hope for is indy presses and / or submitting shit for free on Veeky Forums and hoping it becomes viral.

Just practice your craft and try not to worry so much about fame. Just make sure you have other things you're passionate about though so that your whole world doesn't come crashing down if for some reason you don't succeed.

Also I think most writers/artists/etc. from Gen Y will be late bloomers so don't try to model yourself on writers from 100 years ago

That's such a strange picture.

Do you have anything ready to submit?

How come it took you so long to realize that dude?

Anyway, I think George Saunders only started thinking about writing aged 25.

Umm no it isn't sweetie. Look in the mirror if you want to see a strange picture.

>other things meme

Oh my what an absolute cop-out. As if Franzen would be content with JUST birds, Nabokov with JUST butterflies, Foucault with JUST pozfests. Get real my man.

>Foucault [would be content with] with JUST pozfests

He literally would