Lent

Does Veeky Forums fast? What are some good books about lent/carnival/ascesis?

i'm eating beef as fast as i can rn. orthodox recommend reading john of the ladder during lent.

Kek, been munching all day as well.

>john of the ladder
Never heard of him but that sounds promising, thanks.

I started fasting recently, feels like I have better memory and I feel less sleepy.

Participating in Lent for the first time in my adult life, so for the first time really. I am denying myself booze, spending an hour each day reading the Bible and praying, and working out doing reps for Jesus whether I feel like it or not. No dietary restriction.

I dunno about books OP but Lent isn't just about fasting. I would be interested in reading about those self-mummifying Japanese monks though, the ones who drink toxic tea and abstain from eating for weeks before their death in order to preserve themselves.

I uninstalled steam. That's gotta be better than fasting.

annual reminder to LARPers and the excommunicated: you can get ashes even if you're not catholic.

good luck to those giving something up/taking something up. i think i'm only fasting, once i make pancakes, and maybe reading some lit about returns to faith.

>implying only catholics celebrate lent

>implying catholics don't bar you if you receive sacraments from other sects
it's one of the few you don't need special dispensation for. for once the catholics don't mind the guy performing the ritual is a lutheran or whatever.

That's not fasting. You don't get to pick what you "deny yourself". Abstaining from drinking is common sense, at best, anyway.

Meant for this guy

>You don't get to pick what you "deny yourself".
Pic related, it's you. I'm trying to purge myself of gluttony and sloth, but that's not good enough for a brainlet like you is it. Leave me alone.

>implying you're not barring yourself from Catholicism in actuality

He never said he was giving up drinking because he gets drunk tho; just the giving up of booze

>he's never made the bishop angry and had to change diocese

OP here, I don't mind discussion, but has anyone actually some book recommendations? Doesn't matter if fiction/non-fiction, historical, religious, etc..

Nice larp

>Mom it’s not just a phase, I am a real grown-up Christian now!

>mom, it's not just a phase, I'm a real grown-up atheist now

bump

Lent is as retarded as New Year Resolutions. If you want to reform yourself, then commit to long term habit changes.

>If you want to reform yourself, then commit to long term habit changes.
Like New Year Resolutions?

way of a pilgrim
the philokalia
sayings of the desert fathers

the life of milarepa

life of anthony