Smartest man in history converted to Catholicism

>smartest man in history converted to Catholicism
>smartest person to ever convert to atheism was Sam Harris
really electrocutes the pistachios

Other urls found in this thread:

philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does Catholicism get the smartest converts? It's got to be either them, Judaism, or Buddhism, right?

>implying intelligence has anything to do with believing the truth

I think Heisenberg went Methodist or one of the other Catholic-lite protestants.

Wew

>Methodist
>Catholic-lite

is this how fedoras justify being stupid?

who converts to Judaism?

I unironically have an uncle who converted to Judaism. He's kind of a weird dude. He also doesn't like to work and mooches off my aunt's family a lot.

>who converts to Judaism
Ivanka

Not a Catholic but I'm willing to admit some of the best logicians are Catholics.

Einstein, who was much smarter that Von Neumann, believed the christian God to be a childish fantasy. Your turn, christlarper.

After years of edgy atheism I recently started taking religion more seriously again, and as part of this I started reading the Wikipedia pages of all the most famous scientists, writers, mathematicians, philosophers, and so on. It turns out that very very few of humanity's greatest minds of all time have been genuinely atheist. Many of them are theists, and there are also lots who rejected organised religion but retained deist beliefs, but barely any of them rejected the idea of God completely.

Von Neumann converted to Catholicism on his death-bed just to play it safe. It's not a conversion that gives the faith much credit desu. Someone like Edith Stein is a much better example of a super smart convert who does the faith proud.

Einstein was an overrated hack.

Wrong.

No, he did it so he could marry his fiance, it wasn't a death bed conversion.

>converting to judaism
The only religions that really pull in people for conversion are christianity, islam and buddhism.
And in the last case, it's usually autism.
Marriages tho.

>In 1955, von Neumann was diagnosed with what was either bone or pancreatic cancer. He was not able to accept the proximity of his own demise, and the shadow of impending death instilled great fear in him. He invited a Roman Catholic priest, Father Anselm Strittmatter, O.S.B., to visit him for consultation. Von Neumann reportedly said, "So long as there is the possibility of eternal damnation for nonbelievers it is more logical to be a believer at the end," essentially saying that Pascal had a point, referring to Pascal's Wager.
>Of this deathbed conversion, Morgenstern told Heims, "He was of course completely agnostic all his life, and then he suddenly turned Catholic—it doesn't agree with anything whatsoever in his attitude, outlook and thinking when he was healthy." Father Strittmatter recalled that even after his conversion, von Neumann did not receive much peace or comfort from it, as he still remained terrified of death.

Einstein was a Jew so obviously he'd disregard the other religions ...

not that user, but death bed conversion by a logician acting on logic doesn't negate the validity of death bed conversions. it's not logical to be afraid of protestant hell is the most we could extrapolate from this.

>Einstein, who was much smarter that Von Neumann,
In philosophy and politics, Einstein was almost a complete idiot.

There was a nice Joyce quote on this.

who? just curious

>the most we could extrapolate
>extrapolate
Sure you don't want to throw "unpack" in there for good measure u fat fag

>Prior to his marriage to Mariette, Von Neumann was baptized a Catholic in 1930.
try again brainlet

>>smartest man in history
That's not Leibniz.

He was a Deist, he had that opinion of every abrahimic religion
meh

Another example: Schrodinger, also much smarter than Von Neumann, had a strong interest towards Hinduism and Vedantic philosophy

In philosophy and politics Heidegger was smarter than both and he was an atheist. Your turn, christlarper.

>who converts to Judaism?
Americans who want to get somewhere in life

>who converts to Judaism?
Louis CK's father did, not even joking lmao

>lets not use math language when discussing von Neumann's math
k

Schrodinger I'll accept as a good example. But definitely not Einstein. The man was almost a philosophical moron.
>heidegger was smarter than both
brainletwojak.jpg

Most American conversions are to Reform Judaism though, which readily accepts converts and is much less strict than Orthodox Judaism. If you ask an Orthodox Rabbi about converting he'll essentially tell you to fuck off.

how was einstein a philosophical moron?

Von Neumann too was a jew, dumb dumb.

>Reform Judaism
is that the one that is gay?

He’s not the smartest man in history though.

You're correct, but seeing as how some edgy atheists are attacking Christianity, they are still right, because those people weren't christians (although they're attacking Christianity only because it's the most famous and biggest religion, they never go in-depth when it comes to all the other religions). Not that I'm defending the edgy atheists, their behaviour will always make me cringe, I'm just saying.

>is that the one that is gay?
very

Well the Jesuits do own the world... so yeah, makes sense.

k, as in "there exists an integer k such that.."

who is? Guass, Maxwell, Einstein? checked

I assure you that Sam Harris is significantly smarter than John von Neumann.

Yes. Keraism or bust.

Gauss and Euler are pretty high up there

define
>significantly

How does being intelligent have anything to do with having faith in a set of dogmas?

His eyes are crooked

Leonardo desu

>citing STEM
>not literary greats such as Shakespeare, Cervantes, hundreds of other /classics/
The most reassuring thing about my faith, is the collective belief of men a thousand times greater than me.

At least a standard deviation higher in raw IQ.

k as in the cardinal number of sets in which your logic isn't borked is 0

>not a picture of Leibniz

Youre just threatened by TradChristian converts

>Americans who want to get somewhere in life

Implying Jews will ever accept a sabbothgoy as their own

use a diff symbol, I already defined k

Because the ones who have the most wealth worship the serpent from genesis.
Align yourself with them.

Hasn't anyone actually considered the possibility that the fact that so many people believed in Catholicism actually indicates that it's a false religion, not the other way?

Just like with islam.

Why

What book is this thread referring to? I can't find it

You're a foolish wanderer.
It doesn't take much to think of the benefits.

Why is everybody saying that it's Catholic LARPers on here?

>tfw you find out Seth Meyers is only a quarter (1/4!) Jewish and more successful than you after unironically converting to Judaism (Orthodox)

The Black Nobility could use you.

>Those writers believed in this stuff so I guess I’d better join in!
Ridiculous

>GOSH! its not a phase, mom! this is who I am now!

Because they hate the truth

I don't even need a side profile of this cat to see the Jew in him. He bleeds scheistery.

>shiet dawg i figad out dis nigga a kike all on my ownst witout dem bois at /pol/ directin my undastandin n sheit

>Maybe everyone will stop calling me an edgy pseud if I start saying I’m a wholesome catholic convert! I’ll even buy a cool wooden crucifix for my bedroom if mom will let me nail it to the wall!

You fuckers are t. brainlets. Einstein was a naturalistic pantheist. He saw god as synonymous with nature, not one he could speak to or that dictated reality.

He should have converted then maybe he wouldn't have gotten BTFO on a cosmological level

The vast majority of philosophers are atheists

>God: theism or atheism?
>Accept or lean toward: atheism 678 / 931 (72.8%)
>Accept or lean toward: theism 136 / 931 (14.6%)
>Other 117 / 931 (12.6%)

philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

Religiosity is also inversely correlated with IQ.

All those idiots lived in times where god was the vast majority's belief and they knew nothing of the world, of course they believed in god. dont kid yourself

0.999...=/=1

fuck that pic is retarded

>most philosophers in a spiritually impoverished age do not believe in God

Colour me surprised

this >fighter class npc isn't >basilisk-compliant

you could say the opposite for the days of old as well you brainlet

Basically "I disagree with him so he's dumb".

for sure Von Neumann belong to the 4/5 most intelligent persons ever existed in human history alongside Leibniz, Da Vinci, Archimede and shieet

He was incredibly smart and as such overly conscious and frightened of the uncertainty of death, he basically panic converted as an old man because of this

Schrodinger smarter than Von Newman? What are you on? No one took Schrodinger seriously when he first came up with his wave equation. It's so simple a high school student can understand it. He's mostly remembered for being a degenerate. Obviously he's a highly intelligent person, but please don't compare him to JVN.

Mozart

no user is right, he was good at physics but the only thing he was the best at was self promotion which is why he's a household name

I can tell you Archimedes is intelligent. You get that notion from reading his mathematical proofs.

I have read Euclid, Archimedes, and Apollonius, and Archimedes is the only one where I had to spend entire days on one page.

That said, On Conics does get up there in complexity. I would say Books III (because of the utilization of the harmonic ratio in conjunction with the three/four-line locus) and V (because of the ratios required to produce minimas drawn from below axes) are particularly intense, logically.

Mathematics is like the definition of a brain contest, to see who can possibly come up with the most intense ideas. Early mathematicians basically just wrote correspondences back and forth regarding problems (one would put forth a problem and a solution and the other would put forward an alternative solution). Archimedes' writings in particular were full of these, and I still don't fully comprehend some of the answers, but I gathered that I grasped at least one and moved on. That's what I did with Archimedes.

Fucking hell, it was kind of fun in the end but holy shit...

>He was incredibly smart and as such overly conscious and frightened of the uncertainty of death

what you mean is he was smart but he wasn't wise.

Ever single Christian alive today except for a few hermits are LARPers

He's right though. Intelligence has little to do with your beliefs and intellectual habits. It's just raw cognitive power.

Lol are you guys retarded? You do know that the majority of Catholics aren't converts + my mom loves that I'm not atheist scum.

Gay

>this bait

Brainlet

>smartest man in history was a heretic fundie
>smartest atheist ever is some second-rate science nigger who just won't stop kissing his ass like the servile moron he is
>mfw

You wish

bump

>implying Nietzsche didn't convert to atheism

you show your ignorance here by not know that both are possible, depending on the field in which you work

I just fucken got back from ash wednesday.
such a rush to get that shit and not even be confirmed catholic