2. the gambleer
3. crime and p
4. the brother k
(if you want to be confused)

chronologically except save Demons for last

I read C&P and I’m now reading TBK. I don't think the order matters

If you're young to literature I would recommend Notes from underground first

Start with C&P

Notes from Underground, then C&P, The Gambler, BK, The Idiot, Demons, and finally, his best work, The Double.

start and finish with crime and punishment

Reading Dostoevsky chronologically is usually the best, but you can save Demons for last, I've seen a lot of people consider it his most difficult book.

Notes from Underground
Crime and Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov

Those are his essential three, but also great are The Idiot and Demons but I would suggest you read those after the 3 above. If you don't like Notes or CaP then go straight to TBK and try your hardest to get through it, it's the greatest novel ever written.

I regret not starting with Crime and Punishment.

does anyone know how the problem of evil is presented in c&p contra brothers karamazov? i was asked this recently but i dont see anything about the problem of evil in c&p

do your own home work faggot

>Mitya’s book

It honestly doesn't matter.

I read them in this order:
>Crime & Punishment
>The House of the Dead
>The Gambler
>The Idiot

The Brothers K is next on my list.

Same thread every week. There is no order in reading books

no humiliated and insulted?

Read one of the books, efter you finish that one you pick another one. But get this, you shouldn't pick one of the ones you have already read.

I-I started with "The Idiot"...

yeah this guy gets it. I normally read all books by randomly opening a page and reading it whole, repeating the process while eliminating already read pages from the selection. If I feel especially atemporic I select paragraphs, or even sentences instead of pages, a random sentence after sentence until the whole story is read.

If only there was some sort of invention. designed to hold a collection of writing, that would allow you to read in chronological order.

chronological < tychaiological

LOL

I wasn't referring to the narrative order, I was referring to the order you should read the words.

I am ready to start Crime and Punishment, this will be my first book by him. Is that okay?

too unnoticed, sadly enough

No, you will without a doubt die if you start there.

They are not sequential and it's not like Crime and Punishment is a super hard read that needs some other introduction first
So yeah, just stop worrying about reading order and read the damn book

This may happen though.

You read 1/2 of Notes from the Underground and give up.

I remember Raskolnikov bullying Sonia for his religion and how God hadn't helped her family or something like that. It's right about the "Lazarus part"

yes, so was I

Whatever order you want.
Just remember to always skip the introductions until you've finished the book or as a last remedy if you feel like you're 'not getting it'.

Read and hated. There is a line where page stuffing becomes annoying and he crossed it here. Nowhere near any of his main works.

Crime And Punishment -> Notes From Underground -> Idiot -> Demons - > Brothers K -> whatever else interests you, but definitely read his short story The Double.

Just fucking read, and you're good to go.

I'm starting Dostoevsky, but with the house of the dead.

The first part of Underground was almost uncomprehensible to me. So abstract. Like reading philosophy (and I've never read philosophy). I've read CnP, BK, Adolescent, but this was the hardest to understand. Maybe partly because in my translation the linking word "but" (as in "that wasn't black, but white") was used as "but" (as in "they offered him food, but he wasn't hungry), considering there're two different words for but in my language. The translation was correct but I didn't know that "but" also has both meanings in my language. Maybe I should reread the first part at some point in the future. I doubt I will understand it again though.
I doesn't require much previous knowledge, but it's so difficult to follow his thought, you don't know what his words signify, especially when he says "that", "this".

the first part is dostoevsky masturbating. everyone should skip straight to part 2

The second part is avarage, except that one monologue when the protagonist talks to the juvenile whore.
I thought the first part is what makes the book so much admired by Veeky Forums and I'm too brainlet to understand it.

Write a short story

wow

ffs just fucking read

i'm tired of you fucking pseuds making shitty threads designed only to keep you from reading in order to keep up this image of planning to read shit you clearly have no plans to

:)

My order:
>BK
>Notes from Underground
>C&P
>Demons
>Idiot

Im glad Im not the only one who had trouble with the first part. I dropped that shit because I felt like I was too retarded/ uncultured to keep reading.

But "but" has the same meaning in the two examples you quoted.