First publication rejection just came in

I almost expected it, but it still fucking hurts. I would've preferred no answer at all like the 4 other places. Oh God, I shouldn't have sent this shit out in the first place. It's like school or the job market all over again, I'm just gonna get rejected and humiliated everywhere. I know it sounds like I'm bitter, but I feel like if you don't write about relationship drama, sex, refugees or "just be yourself"-tier advice you just get rejected straight out.

improvement is same but better.

>relationship drama, sex,
Wow, things people are actually interested in
>refugees
wow, almost like it's timely, and there's a lot of new stuff to be said
>just be yourself
mmhmm, people read to justify their own existence

I don't know what you're complaining about, OP. Stop being a little pussy.

Aww, OP, it'll be okay.

So is that the way, writing pulp for the dumb masses about how Tiffany is a slut, how great Chad is in bed and how tragic Ahmed's life is? Writing pulp fiction? Jesus, I wish I never obsessed over writing to this degree, I remember better days.

the fact that failure inspires you to imagine yourself as too good for the "dumb masses" does not bode well for you

In broad strokes, what did you write about?
And who did you send it to?

>first and only publication happened exactly two years ago
>the journal has since shut down their website or something and my published story has essentially ceased to exist
>can't even bring it up in conversation because people won't be able to look it up and they'll think I'm lying
>haven't written anything since because my brain is mush
>haven't left my house in a month
Absolutely just.

ummm... ok?

how old are you? you seem 15... not a good 15; an entitled 15.

I was going into this thread to comfort you but man you sound like a twat. It probably came across in your writing.

It was a novel about social alienation and shizophrenia which ends in the MC going on a killing spree. I sent it to literally every publisher who doesn't do childrens books (8 in numbers), not only my city, but all of France.
At least you got published. Please, please, please tell me how it was, from start to finish. Did you meet with publishers, editors? Did they praise your work? How much money did you made?
I'm 32 and you don't even know English!

No, no, no please don't take it the wrong way, I'm just hurt. Are you guys going to leave me hanging, too?

Seems pretty pulp, surprised it didn't get picked up, unless you literally cannot write.

>32 year old /pol/lack writes his killing fantasy

of course you didn't get accepted, faggot... that's some touchy-ass material that only can be tackled by someone with amazing prose, that can change a terrible societal-affliction into lofty art that transcends the trauma of mass brutality, and makes the inhumanity not hurt so much.

You probably just write the literary equivalent of ICP songs.

>It was a novel about social alienation and shizophrenia which ends in the MC going on a killing spree
Honestly you're only going to get away with this kind of thing if you're either already well-known or do it extremely well.

I get that you’re hurt, anyone would be. But don’t try to victimize yourself, just accept the rejection and keep working.

>It was a novel about social alienation and shizophrenia which ends in the MC going on a killing spree.
This might be cool in films and in your head, but in literature it's as banal as any Danielle Steel love story.

Thanks for the "advice", everyone.

Do you let anyone read your work before submitting?
Honestly, if you're starting out, you cannot have this cloistered, confrontational, overly-reactive attitude to your work. It'll show. It always shows.
There's no getting around what certain magazines want--you're gonna have to jump. Research the editing team, read other entries that won previously, research the judges, and cater your writing to their specific tastes.
There's no need in acting like a bitchy artist whose vision exceeds anyone else's when you're not one to begin with. Go ahead with the notion that you're even lucky to have your stuff read in an online world.

t. full decade younger than you (saying that to light a fire under your age-spotted ass) and already published three times, with a national short story award judged by praised novelist.

Stop impersonating me, this poster is not me!
How was it to be published? Are you a famous author, did you meet with publishers and editors and what did they say? How much money did you made and what did you write about?

I guess when you come to this board asking for help you find out who your true friends are.

a bunch of strangers on a /pol/.2 board

Have you been published? How much money did you make?

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.

I had a whole thing typed out, then I hit backspace on the fucking touchpad and lost it.

>no, no meeting... all took place via email
>only made a total of $400 with writing
>feels good to eat a meal paid by art
>invites a huge deal of anxiety over future failures after you get published
>tons of sleepless nights over imposers syndrome
>eventually reach a place where I'm so comfortable over my ability as a prose writer I no longer even care about rejection, I merely write to achieve the elation of making something I deem good.

This was the Big Name Judge's comments on my writing. I go back to look at this a lot. It probably has enough power to keep me hanging on to this writing thing for a few years.
And seeing people, fully grown elderly humans, moved to the point of tears to my writing being read is a feeling beyond compare. I mostly just want to chase that now.

Also I don't have an editor... I edit all my own work, which is a fucking drag.

Man, I wish I had that sort of success. Congratulations, at such a young age, too.

aww thanks, user

Sure thing, lad.
>Did you meet with publishers, editors?
No, I sent in a manuscript and a cover letter through Submittable and didn't meet with anyone.
>Did they praise your work?
I got a generic congratulatory email, but a few of my rejections actually wrote personalized feedback and encouraged me to submit my other work.
>How much money did you made?
kek

>It was a novel about social alienation and shizophrenia which ends in the MC going on a killing spree.

I'm kinda disillusioned with how impersonal this is. I thought you submit your work and if they are interested, you meet with the publishor or the editor in a cafe or something and discuss the work. Sending it via email and getting a copy&paste reply sounds really lame.

>So is that the way, writing pulp for the dumb masses
>Writing pulp fiction?
>Jesus, I wish I never obsessed over writing to this degree, I remember better days.

>It was a novel about social alienation and shizophrenia which ends in the MC going on a killing spree

Oh, come on

Haha cuck
Zelf publish is better nowadays. You can do your own marketting too.

Publishing houses are nothing more than a antiquated badge of literary merit. Means jack shit when shitty NYT bestsellers are utter crap (and theyre published).

Hi Robert

If you were publishing a novel it would be different. But for getting published in a journal that’s just the reality of it. But if your reason for writing is that you want to meet in a cafe and have someone lick your balls and tell you that you’re talented, you might be doing this for the wrong reasons.

I MADE YOU MY BITCH

what are Veeky Forums approved day jobs

You have to have a thicker skin than this buddy. I used to be afraid to submit stuff for fear of rejection too. You have to stop caring about rejections so much or you’ll never make it. When I stopped caring, that was when success came. Success meaning multiple published stories. I’m not making much $ off this yet but I’ve got credits and gotten some second looks on manuscripts probably mostly because I can put, “my short fiction has appeared in such and such journals.” I still approached it with care, but I would send things out and forget I had even submitted anything, then get an acceptance letter a couple months later and think “oh yeah, that story.” You should never be waiting for an acceptance for publication, you should be writing more material.

t. Someone who has published work at a young age.

>and there's a lot of new stuff to be said
There is not.

Lawyer, librarian, neet, military.

I am not Robert.

> I know it sounds like I'm bitter, but I feel like if you don't write about relationship drama, sex, refugees or "just be yourself"-tier advice you just get rejected straight out.

maybe, or maybe you're just not so fly as you think

since you're posting this here and obviously this judgement has had a strong effect on you, i'm inclined to think it's the latter

>and there's a lot of new stuff to be said

lol imagine believing this

Sorry you have a tough time thinking

Hi Kevin

nice dubs

He's complaining about the fact that the masses are shallow imbeciles, like your post demonstrates, being that you are part of them.

What's with your weird superiority complex? You don't think you're special, do you?

I'm sorry that you experienced rejection.
That being said, rejection is part of the biz. If you write you will be rejected by many publishers, plain and simple. What did the rejection say? Did it have any feedback as regards improving your writing?

where did you apply?

I have a duotrope account if you want some stats and insider info

Special people don't think they're special, they know it. :^)

10/10 put me in the screen cap

>It's like school or the job market all over again, I'm just gonna get rejected and humiliated everywhere
Boo fucking hoo. Maybe you should stop attaching your personal worth to this shit. You have to realize you're a liability. Nobody cares about you. Nobody wants to take you one as a student, or hire you, or publish your shitty book if it means trouble for them. You're just not that important.

The four that didn't respond are worse. No response is useless to you, and it means they aren't interested in your own welfare. Anyone who takes time to criticize you or tell you that you are not ready is really looking out for you, because harsh feedback is the best way we can improve ourselves.

>this thread made user insecure

jeez bud, not OP... but fuck, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? In the same boat as OP?

What a fucking baby.

I've had over 100 rejections, and I'm now well-published. Suck it up and move on.

Not OP, but this is good to hear, user. It gives me a fair amount of hope, since I've had my fair share of rejections (with some publications in between).

After a certain amount of rejection you just stop giving a fuck. If your work is good enough, if you've worked on it enough, then you should be able to stand by it for several rejections. Then of course you should take a look at it again but the chances are you're sending it to the wrong place if you really know. I don't mean just-written glow, I mean two or three weeks of revisiting, edits, maybe an outside read. Most big whiners like this just are people who've been told they're bright and just need to apply themselves and they find that mere application isn't enough, you have to actually work.

Shakespeare was famous in his time for entertaining the masses and is famous in our time for entertaining the pseuds.
You need to learn to do both at the same time, user.

>not sneaking dozens of homemade copies of your book onto public library shelves

step up your game