What is the most difficult book you pretentious scum have ever read?

What is the most difficult book you pretentious scum have ever read?

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Igitur
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

reading anything by adorno feels like being drafted into the military and forced to go through bootcamp drills; but, you know, mentally.

the canonical german philosophers (kant/hegel/heidegger) are so difficult that people struggle to come up with descriptions for how difficult they are. for my part, i was pretty shocked at how inaccessible marx was. everyone talks about him as if he's just a big tomb of ideas waiting to be plundered. he's exceptionally hard.

and there is a reason that french continentals (mainly deleuze/derrida) are ridiculed for being nonsensical. of course, they write that way deliberately, to dig into new realms of thought. but it requires immense patience and deliberation to get through them, and with no guarantee that you'll be any different for having done so.

in retrospect, i wonder what the heck is stoner doing there

Adorno is analogous to bootcamp drills? That's a funny comparison, what do you mean? I like music theory a lot, so maybe I read him in a more laid back way

>be me, Mathfag
>read a lot of papers on statistics, calculus, algebra
>i enjoy what i do, but it's certainly demanding

i make the comparison from the standpoint of someone who doesn't exercise much and has been averse to exertion since teenage years. so working out is incredibly foreign to me and makes me really uncomfortable. i imagine if i ever joined the military in my current state, i.e. being as averse as i am to exercise and authority figures, that it would be a living nightmare.

adorno is sort of the same but in the mental realm. his way of thinking and writing is so foreign and discomfiting to me that it feels like intense exertion. and he's deeply aggressive and unrelenting in his criticisms; modern society isn't just bad, it's a living hell; pop culture isn't just unhealthy, it turns consumers into Nazis, etc. all the while i detect something really important and deeply relevant to my way of life and to the world, so i try to stick with it, but i find it really, really arduous sometimes.

this also

Well said user, I see what you mean now. If all this is the case however, I wouldn't bother reading him

>averse to exertion
Hahahah love it

Is skylark actually difficult?

Dunno, we need a new exit Veeky Forumscore chart anyways

Yeah, it'd make a good title. Consider it stolen.

No not at all, it’s is great though

Seconding Krasznahorkai

Love his films with Bela Tarr, but his prose is really tough to get into. It's like one big paragraph.

this so much. Good book, but easy to read through desu

Someone once pointed to me this chart isn't about difficulty but rather about books to read before commiting suicide

Ethics by Spinoza.

Exit-level is depressing lit.

crap

As somebody else has already pointed out, "exit-level" means "depressing/suicidals" here, not "hard".

I read satantango in a few days, with melancholy of resistance I struggled for two weeks somehow

Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

Finnegans Wake wasn't really difficult because I just let it wash over me without worrying about understanding anything.

I kind of did the same with Gravity's Rainbow. If I was going to try to understand that one in depth, it would probably be my choice.

I once tried reading The Future of the Image by Jacques Rancière and found it basically incomprehensible. But that's probably because I didn't have enough philosophical background, not because of the book itself. I felt the same when I tried Foucault.

Harry Potter series

The Street of Crocodiles is neither difficult nor depressing

fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Igitur

No, it is not/

heart of darkness high af on morphine

In Parenthesis by David Jones. Been looking for a copy to retry it now I've read the mabinogion, a good deal of arthurian stuff, and gotten better at reading in general though.

>Stoner
>Exit-Core
What

Macbeth was a more brutal play than tits andronicus imo.

I always thought exit-level referred to suicide-inducing, rather than challenging to read

It does. OP's a brainlet.

I haven't read In the Miso Soup, but I really enjoyed Piercing and Audition. They're very short and easy to read, brutal, but also well-written considering how they verge on pulpy. I know all they share is a name but it was refreshing to read him after getting disillusioned with the other Murakami's baggy, self-indulgent, endless books.

Excuse me, just downloaded Shhh, thanks dude who made the chart for the Federman rec, feels like my first time reading the Recognitions or Cocteau.

The Gospels