Virginia Woolf Thread

Seems people either hate or love this woman, why is that? What're your thoughts?

She would've been such a great dominatrix

i've read the introductory paragraph from dalloway and thought it was alright

I'm indifferent to her, but I never got why some people idolized her.

Dalloway is great, the rest of her stuff is decent enough

Why did she kill herself?

Are you trying to be funny?

To the Lighthouse is one of the greatest novels ever written. Mrs. Dalloway is merely pretty good. Haven't read The Waves yet.

I had forgotten my frog image to imply irony. I always thought they looked similar from the front, with the whole lopsided face thing. But not a good joke.

Beautifully written platitudes

Total dead fish.

God-tier writer

Good writer but she was a stuck up bitch and that is patent in her writing.

I find that when you read her prose its poetic qualities glow. The real issue with her is - why should we care about the stories. The three I have read (Dalloway, Lighthouse & Waves) generally have no plot and progression is only gained through the insights of the characters (using stream of consciousness). Its make or break if you have no interest in the characters.

That aside her non-fiction is well written, opinionated & intelligent.

Why do people claim she uses stream of consciousness? I've read To the Lighthouse and I could discern a single passage in SoC, only free indirect speech and interior monologue

*could NOT

Read her short story The Mark on the Wall. It's a seminal stream-of-consciousness work

I love her writing, but I hate her looks. She ugly.

Veeky Forums personified

Only read The Voyage Out. Decent writing but personally I was left feeling kind of sour. Everyone is incredibly frivolous in a very uninteresting way, even when it comes to intense moments of passion or pain. I get that was kind of the point but eh.

to the lighthouse is a masterpiece

That's her worst book though. She wrote it when she was super young

Her worst book is Between The Acts by far.

Great prose, boring works

t. brainlet

Orlando was one of the most fun novellas i ever did read

like all women she is incapable of going beyond the social and psychological spheres of existence because her biological role does not require doing so. There are absolutely no female authors in the history of modern culture who have broken through the barrier of their vagina and their social life and upbringing, it is not going to happen. Bring forth one single novel that does so and I will read one of her books this summer, I promise, and will come back and report my findings. But, it can't be done. Women just simply do not care about anything but themselves, they are solipsistic sociopaths until men light a fire in their bosom and make them submit to their ideas and philosophy.

Calm down user, virginity is usually temporary

Yeah I felt this way too. They just didn't resonate with me, I guess.

extremely weak, try again

>like all...
ohoho, you are a silly little duckling aren't you