"Houellebecq is France's biggest literary sensation in 20 years -- and his suffering is enormous...

>"Houellebecq is France's biggest literary sensation in 20 years -- and his suffering is enormous. To spend a weekend in his company is to become an unwitting participant in a sensory-deprivation experiment. External stimuli are reduced to a minimum. Physical movement is discouraged. Likewise talking and eating and any other activity that might detract from the primary objective -- getting from Saturday morning to Sunday night with as little conscious awareness as possible."

Other urls found in this thread:

schabrieres.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/michel-houellebecq-monde-exterieur-1992/
partners.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000910mag-houellebecq.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rlqG0-9SBPA
youtube.com/watch?v=ST7vPLcuJE0
youtube.com/watch?v=kcy07suSi7U
youtube.com/watch?v=dOGfUMxKAd8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Literally me

My guy.

Weekend warrior of the soul

There is something dead inside me,
A vague necrosis an absence of joy
I carry with me a winter plot,
In the middle of Paris I live as in the desert.

In the day I go out to buy beer,
In the supermarket there are some old men
I easily avoid their lack of look
And I do not want to talk to cashiers.

I do not blame those who have found me morbid,
I always had the gift of breaking atmosphere
I have to share only vague suffering
Regrets, failures, an experience of emptiness.

Nothing ever interrupts the lonely dream
That takes me place of life and probable destiny,
According to the doctors I am the only culprit.

It's true I'm a little ashamed, and I should be quiet;
I sadly observe the flow of hours;
The seasons follow one another in the outside world.

Is this his poetry?

Can any French speakers confirm whether this is a good translation of the following please?

Il y a quelque chose de mort au fond de moi,
Une vague nécrose une absence de joie
Je transporte avec moi une parcelle d’hiver,
Au milieu de Paris je vis comme au désert.

Dans la journée je sors acheter de la bière,
Dans le supermarché il y a quelques vieillards
J’évite facilement leur absence de regard
Et je n’ai guère envie de parler aux caissières.

Je n’en veux pas à ceux qui m’ont trouvé morbide,
J’ai toujours eu le don de casser les ambiances
Je n’ai à partager que de vagues souffrances
Des regrets, des échecs, une expérience du vide.

Rien n’interrompt jamais le rêve solitaire
Qui me tient lieu de vie et de destin probable,
D’après les médecins je suis le seul coupable.

C’est vrai j’ai un peu honte, et je devrais me taire ;
J’observe tristement l’écoulement des heures ;
Les saisons se succèdent dans le monde extérieur.

Yes, it was first published as far as I can tell in 1992 when he was around 35 years old. It's called "The External World"

schabrieres.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/michel-houellebecq-monde-exterieur-1992/

What a miserable beta. He needs to get some pussy. A weekend with a harem, preferably.

>"During high school, Houellebecq spent hours by himself watching trains at the station next door. "I would get on them and go nowhere," he recalled. "Just get on, get off." He was frequently depressed. Beigbeder realized just how depressed one evening not long ago, when he popped a Moody Blues ballad into his CD player and saw Houellebecq burst into tears: "He started crying, crying. Finally he explained that at all the parties when he was 18, all the boys and girls slow-danced to this song, but he was alone and no one talked to him because he was ugly." Then again, Beigbeder said dryly, Houellebecq "loves pathetic -- all his work is about being pathetic.""

Also his wife is very attractive.

Houellebecq during his Morrissey phase. We all had one...

Me on the left

Not really, she's a 5/10.
But what good is it if they clearly don't fuck?

> External stimuli are reduced to a minimum.

Golly sounds like a swell time. A bit past than as of late, this silly little daydream of tearing my eyes out is recurrently apprehending some part of me during school. The daydream has made forceful arguments that thought unburdened by janus eyes would be less susceptible to guilt and depression's anxietal interdictions. I feel like after taking an ice cream scooper to the baby blues, i could acquire a rejuvenated perspective akin a person getting out of a brutally lacerative prison sentence of 28 plus years.

Je confirme

Houellebecq is much like Goebbels in the sense that since becoming famous he has been fucking anything that moves. In the OP interview he asks the interviewer to fuck him, admits he visits prostitutes in France, and says his only joys in life is getting drunk and having sex.

La traduction est okai

>Swallowing everything Schopenhauer gave you.

>eating
How do I stop binge eating?

Connards.

Go back to Pakistan I'm sure your diet will be sufficiently restricted, Londonfrog.

What the hell, mate. I'm not even yuropoor.

Why didn't he turn out to become Elliot Rodgers? What made him any different?

Then cut down on the burgers you dumb mutt.

Self-awareness. He was married by the age of 23 so he's not as beta as most on this board, but still he plays up to his own imagined image, whereas Eliot considered himself a temporarily frustrated millionaire, so to speak.

I'm not a creatura..., either. I could go easy on the tacos, tho.

What is the class system like in Mexico?

Is it similar to Argentina in the sense that the upper class tend to be white upper class living in relatively secure communities isolated from the mudskinned masses?

Which of these actors from Tu Mama Tambien do you most resemble? Is your life at all like the lives they lead in the movie?

>Sudaca thinks he's not a cretura

He's married!? No fucking way. This is like finding out your favourite teeny pop band's songs are written by a fat Swedish guy with a mullet. I feel lied to.

Is this the Veeky Forums lifestyle?

He's been married at least three times I think. He also has a son.

its exactly like it is in all latin american countries, Castizos rule, Mestizos are serfs basically. If you are hot or athletic you can escape.
>class system
fucking lol, you guys have a CASTE system not a class system. Latin America is run under VEDIC principles not Victorian

You don't become a writer in France without getting some serious puss

the article this is from is a classic in its own right

>By the time we sat down to dinner -- in the living room -- he was too inebriated to eat. He picked at his boiled crab and got some of it on his sleeve. His head began to nod; his eyelids drooped. But for the first time all day, he looked almost cheerful. "I am the star of French literature," he slurred. "The most radical one of all." He reached over and petted my knee. "What's your name again?" he mumbled. "How would you like to be in my erotic film?"

>At Flammarion, his publishing house, he met with his editor to discuss his latest work, a novella due out next month that features an actual extraterrestrial-worshiping cult on the Canary Islands. Fearing a lawsuit, Houellebecq's editor urged him to change the name of the cult. Houellebecq resisted. "But I write about reality," he grumbled. "I don't know how Bret Easton Ellis gets away with using all those brand names."

pic related is the journalist he #metoo-ed

Yes

>I don't know how Bret Easton Ellis gets away with using all those brand names.
Didn't he also intentionally mix and match colours and items of clothing to look as dumb as possible, as an inside joke? This didn't translate into the movie, so most people probably don't know about it. tl;dr - the outfits BEE describes in American Psycho would look fucking ridiculous irl, but this is lost on most readers who don't recognize the brands.

truly one of the greatest minds of our time...
youtube.com/watch?v=rlqG0-9SBPA

Beautiful

Catatonic anhedonic depression is soooo Veeky Forums omg.

Don't you have a Peterson thread to shill in?

Keep worshipping your self-destructive manlet. If it's not too stimulating for you.

Keep cleaning your room, bucko, maybe you'll pull your head out of your ass in the process.

Self destructive? He's one of the most successful literary writers on Earth, the fuck are you doing with your life?
Fucking chump

Yeah, just look how happy he is!

>caring about happiness

>watching yourself rot inside, passing the time with cheap alcohol and chainsmoking
True enlightenment.

>success is happiness

If anything they're mostly mutually exclusive if you're aiming high.

Who gives a shit, we're all going to die anyway

It's a good one-for-one translation but it misses the meter of the original and the rhyme scheme. Take for example, the like

>Des regrets, des échecs, une expérience du vide.

You could translate échecs to attempts and keep the meter and meaning the same.

I was working on this poem using your translation and my own working knowledge of French. Tell me how much I fucked it up plz.

>Il y a quelque chose de mort au fond de moi,
>Une vague nécrose une absence de joie
Je transporte avec moi une parcelle d’hiver,
>Au milieu de Paris je vis comme au désert.

There is something dead inside of me
vague necrotic absence where joy should be
I carry with me a piece of winter,
and live in Paris' desert center

>Dans la journée je sors acheter de la bière,
>Dans le supermarché il y a quelques vieillards
>J’évite facilement leur absence de regard
>Et je n’ai guère envie de parler aux caissières.

During day, I leave to buy some beer
In the supermarket, old men are here
I easily avoid their tired, bored gaze
and give silence to cashiers when I pay

>Je n’en veux pas à ceux qui m’ont trouvé morbide,
>J’ai toujours eu le don de casser les ambiances
>Je n’ai à partager que de vagues souffrances

But I don't blame those who found me morbid
I've always given the air my hurting
I don't have to share this suffering
these regrets, these attempts, this life squallid.

It's unfinished. Should I keep going?

>Sudaca
México is NA, senpai.

While there are a lot of white rich fucks, there's also a lot of mestizos and other brown rich fucks. From mexican old money families to lebanese immigrants and narco families. The whiteys tend to be the offspring of immigrants, too. Some of them are jewish, ofc.

Nice amendments, makes more sense this way.

I'd rather be me, than an ugly depressed manlet.

Amazing.

I unironically wouldn't, I rather be smart and interesting than some average p-Zombie loser

Can anyone shed some light on Lanzarote for me?

I've read Elementary Particles and Whatever, which I suppose have similar themes to those in Lanzarote, but in that novella they don't seem to quite match up to the same result, or standpoint.

What was the point of the cult being discovered as a bunch of pedophiles?

Confusing sophistication with pretension. /the post /the author /the state of France

Being miserable is easy enough, why instigate MOAR just for the sake of credibility

>Il y a quelque chose de mort au fond de moi,
>Une vague nécrose une absence de joie
>Je transporte avec moi une parcelle d’hiver,
>Au milieu de Paris je vis comme au désert.

There is something dead inside of me
vague necrotic absence where joy should be
I carry with me a piece of winter,
and live in Paris' desert center

>Dans la journée je sors acheter de la bière,
>Dans le supermarché il y a quelques vieillards
>J’évite facilement leur absence de regard
>Et je n’ai guère envie de parler aux caissières.

During day, I leave to buy some beer
In the supermarket, old men are here
I easily avoid their tired, bored gaze
and give silence to cashiers when I pay

>Je n’en veux pas à ceux qui m’ont trouvé morbide,
>J’ai toujours eu le don de casser les ambiances
>Je n’ai à partager que de vagues souffrances

But I don't blame those who found me morbid
I've always given the air my hurting
I don't have to share this suffering
these regrets, these attempts, this life squallid.

>Rien n’interrompt jamais le rêve solitaire
>Qui me tient lieu de vie et de destin probable,
>D’après les médecins je suis le seul coupable.

Nothing interrupts this solitary reverie
which holds me instead of life and destiny
after the doctors, only I am guilty

>C’est vrai j’ai un peu honte, et je devrais me taire ;
>J’observe tristement l’écoulement des heures ;
>Les saisons se succèdent dans le monde extérieur.

It's true I have so little shame, and it silences me;
I sadly watch the flow of time;
as seasons pass by in the world outside

Because its funny

how do you c/lit/s feel about pic related?

I want to protect this frown.

it was pretty good

Houellebecq is a hack and he writes terrible books.

From that same interview:
>I dont like to eat. I like sex

Houellebecq are you me?

>"Houellebecq is France's biggest literary sensation in 20 years
It's not that difficult when you see the competition. This country is a fucking joke.

His first two novels are pretty good though. For me, it was like a brutal warning on many levels when I first read it

He also wrote an interesting book about Lovecraft, I don't know if they translated it in english.

Oh my god the poem itself is so bad..

POMP
and
C I R C U M S T A n C EE

>sending a hot young woman to interview and document houellebecq

they were asking for it desu

so THATS what the number 1 literary rockstar can get? a 5/10 old hag? whats this bullshit about. i bet plumbers get better gfs than this clown.

I almost wish I could be as emotional and sensitive as Houllebecque, is this something that comes with age?

Or you know, they've been married for fucking twenty years and maybe he likes her for her personality.
She was a proper qt when she was younger

youtube.com/watch?v=ST7vPLcuJE0

>you will never be this uninhibited

youtube.com/watch?v=kcy07suSi7U

>Dors, mom petit bonhomme
;_;

A hero of our times

I saw Michel Houellebecq at a grocery store in Paris yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Monsieur, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Should have replaced milkyways with microwave curries

sounds obnoxious.
jesus, just get drunk like everyone else

Alcohol is degen

Ellit had the problem that he was an ethnic jew, but he could not be an actual Jew because his mother is the asian.

Here's Houellebecq reading his debut novel for an hour:

youtube.com/watch?v=dOGfUMxKAd8

If you read the interview it's from, you'll see that he was drunk the whole time.

It's from 2000. I can't help thinking an article like this would never be written today. His #MeToo attempt(s) on the journalist would probably be the end of his career, and the beginning of the article sounds very close to stigmatising and mocking someone with depression, which is also urgh so problematic, if in a different way.

It's a real shame. From a mature perspective familiar with the context you know Houellebecq wasn't going to rape the interviewer, and that she wasn't offended by this drunken, pathetic guy.

>Confusing sophistication with pretension

The final state of degradation. Sad!

There's no such thing as depression and Houellebecq mocks himself constantly

submission was quite good

Je trouve que le thème va mal avec le format, mais si l'on considère que la structure du sonnet et le metre c'est quand meme bien écrit

Hahahahah noice

EL GOBLINO FRENCHUTE...

honestly sick and tired of depressives wallowing in their black bile and passing off their lethargy as profundity and contemplation

>life sucks
>it hurts, suffering is bad
>it's not fair, mommy!!!!!!!!
we get it

evidently, you don't

Its funny that we werent yet a fully dystopian society back in 2000.

On some Godard shit

lol, you smug little cretin. i've had a far worse life than houellebecq's and have been utterly miserable since before i finished grade school. i know the futility of languishing in this pathetic torpor because i've been there and done that while you were in your diapers

>because my depression was caused by my laziness and immaturity, so is everyone else's
Go watch some Jordan Peterson videos, fat ass

it was parental violence, actually. btw i'm at 10% bf, but keep swinging and missing

Why do lefties love this dude again? Is it just the "Haha I like him ironically to expose bigotry, hail Nick Mullen" Type dudes?

>keep swinging
This is my advice to your parents