Foreword:

>Foreword:
>"WOAH DUDE THIS BOOK IS FUCKING GROUNDBREAKING IT'S LIKE SO WEIRD DUDE, IT'S LITERALLY INDESCRIBABLE!!!!"

I've read the first ten pages or so. Seems like a normal, straightforward story so far.

I've only listened to the 2/3 audiobook someone put on Youtube, but from what I've heard it's entertaining but un-literary.

Dave Eggers initially hated the book.
This is probably part of why David didn't attend the 10th anniversary re-release where that foreward was introduced.
Eggers was suckin his taint a bit after Oblivion and Hideous men success.

>audiobook
>un-literary
no shit

Why is the literary world filled with drama queens?

that's because the first 10 pages ARE a straightforward (albeit unreliable) story

Every entertainment industry is full of narcissists and nepotists so everyone is scared. politics.

>reads 10 pages
>forms an opinion

You are a fucking idiot.

every world is filled with drama queens and if you think otherwise you aren't looking hard enough

It is kind of a hard book to describe but basically I would say it's a academic exercise for spirituality in a sort of academic and comical form.

It's not that weird but surely you can't make that judgment from having read 1/100th of the book

meta and comical*

>literature
>entertainment industry

Agreed user
Take a (you)

that's what the whole book is about.
everything is a form of entertainment.
The book uses the example of Sports players.
One who has no chance for "the show" is relegated to pain and recovery the same way the addicts would.

Jesus OP you actually read less than 1% of the book and then have the nerve to say how unique/not unique it is

>un-literary.
Could you elaborate

DFW always read like a hyper-neurotic John Green to me desu.

he has a point, le jigsaw puzzle plot is just purposeless and wanky. the actual writing is bland as fuck, good literature generally shows you how good it is from the very beginning

Its groundbreaking to out of touch old people and guys whose favourite books previously were Catch 22 and The Beach.

Honestly don't waste your time there's a reason this is the book every white guy redditor reads and loves.

Its Enter Player One for "smart" people

Screenshot this post

you're taking the bait too far. it's no longer subtle.

>Screenshot this post
not worth the 1mb of memory.
sorry user.

It's not as avant-garde as Gravity's Rainbow for example

Just really long and fairly complex in scale

the first scene in the book is the last scene chronologically

WOAAHH MIND-FUCKING-BLOWING DFW YOU FUCKING GENIUS WOAAHHH SUCH A TWISTED AND ORIGINAL STRUCTURE WOOOAHHH BRUHH

this is the power of post-modernism

>guys whose favourite books previously were Catch 22
Fuck you

>I've read the first ten pages so far

You've read ten pages. That's like, five or so minutes of reading. Why did you even put the book down? More importantly, what compelled you to start an internet discussion about it?

That's like seeing a picture of an entree from a Michelin starred restaurant and starting a thread on a food discussion board to say it looks like it tastes mediocre.

this is the power of postmodernism XDDD

I'm about 120 pages in. I found the Erdedy(?) chapter nauseating in the best way. Pretty good book so far.

I mean it's new-wave shite

Did you guys actually buy the book? Ok, nice.

I'm not baiting. Literally pick up John Green and read it side by side with Wallace and you'll see the similarity; Green is just a very watered down post-sincere acolyte.

I love DFW and I don't even disagree with this. John Green may write like a limp-wristed 17 year old boy, but I can't knock the sincerity to his approach.

>he couldn't even make it past page ten before rushing to Veeky Forums and vomiting all his bullshit
back in my day, we read a book before critiquing, or even discussing it, or even bothering to mention we were reading it
on the other hand, reddit would probably love your post, i suggest heading there

good art should unironically never be humorous

Was DFW even sincere?

>I've read the first ten pages or so
jej
lit everyone

>i've not even read the goodread reviews
jej
lit, everyone

>I haven't even got to the rising action of a novel and I can form an opinion on the work as a whole.

>Screenshot muh hot opininos
Fuck you

>Its Enter Player One for "smart" people

wut

>no cogent narrative emerges in first 200 pages
>jumps around timeline, reader unsure of chronological order of events
>entire chapters in experimental writing style
>use of footnotes to aid in telling narrative

Holy shit, regardless of your opinion of IJ, to call it a "normal, straightforward story" is trying way, way too hard.

Like, I get it, you exclusively read avant-garde, self-published exit-level lit.

>back in my day
You're probably in your 20s, kid.
t. in my 20s

> screenshot this post

I agree with you but after you said that you can fuck right off back to faggot town

Unironically this